Author Topic: Ambient lights Club Sport  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Ambient lights Club Sport
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2017, 10:18 »
I'm not one of those clever people that can remember quotes and dates but I can remember that the original plan for the Clubsport was a lightweight roof panel amongst other things. This was when VW was first showing off the MQB flexibility of construction.
Obviously this was binned due to cost but the idea lived on and was merged into the Edition 40 plans so we just got the option of a black painted roof instead of a proper carbon fibre one.

When you think that the ED40 Clubsport was actually offered with the options of hefty five door body shells and even a sunroof then there is absolutely no way the weight of a couple of lightweight strips of LED came into it. Just look at the weight difference between a Bresia alloy and the 17" forged standard one.

As Brenbo says, it was purely a cost cutting exercise where the electric feed for it was obviously used for something else if the buckets were fitted or omitted for some other little reason and so they just didn't spec it for that model full stop.
Is it the same with the armrest? Do the standard sports seats get an armrest? I can't remember now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2017, 10:49 »
Yeah the armrest is there alright.

I suspect Brembo's theory is correct too. I'd be curious to know why the buckets mean the lights have to be omitted at all. Armrest yes (physical space) but ambient lights in the same identical door cards??!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline douglaslad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2017, 12:06 »
The standard sport seats have the armrest fitted plus the cup holder sliding cover and the rear ventilation system on the centre console, I can understand the armrest being omitted to facilitate the bucket seats but it makes no sense to leave out the sliding cover and the ventilation system.
Pure White Manual 3dr Clubsport.
Dynamic Chassis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio, Sat Nav Pro, Rear view Camera, Car Net, Standard Sport Seats, 18" Belvederes.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2017, 12:15 »
Anyone know why the footwell lights are so dim on the golf? I had mine in my cc turned down to 50% and they were still much brighter than the ones in my GTD turned up to full.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline 09GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2017, 22:47 »
It's the only small downside to the interior of the club sport - the red light on the doors looks great on the normal GTI
However it's a small price to pay for an awesome car
2014 Mk 7 GTI 5 door , Discover Pro , Pan Roof , DSG , ACC, Xenons , Parking  Sensors  , Rear Tints, KESSY.

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2017, 07:49 »
The electrical wiring harness and module for the interior ambient light is within the underside of the armrest box, hence they had to use the boggo non armrest centre part and no light unit.

Guess it was not worth the cost to re-design so late in the life span of the car.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2017, 10:10 »
The electrical wiring harness and module for the interior ambient light is within the underside of the armrest box, hence they had to use the boggo non armrest centre part and no light unit.

Guess it was not worth the cost to re-design so late in the life span of the car.

Dave

Cool, that explains it.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline douglaslad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2017, 12:59 »
The centre console on the Clubsport without buckets has the armrest and  is exactly the same as that on the R and standard Gti, yet it also has no ambient lighting. No reason other than cost cutting in my opinion.
Pure White Manual 3dr Clubsport.
Dynamic Chassis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio, Sat Nav Pro, Rear view Camera, Car Net, Standard Sport Seats, 18" Belvederes.