Author Topic: What to use to cover up blemishes in paint?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Skywalker80

• Not said much yet
What to use to cover up blemishes in paint?
« on: 02 September 2008, 11:35 »
Hi, i have had my Silver Mk2 8v for about 4 months now. I bought it off a Golf Enthusiast who took amazing care of it, which can be seen inside and out.

But now 4 months into ownership minor blemishes are starting to appear in the paintwork that were not there before.
These defects include where stone chips have been touched up, and I have now noticed that one of my rear doors has previously been filled, which hadn't been noticeable a few months ago.
And now I have a v small rust bubble that seems to have appeared overnight on the tailgate :(

I'm sure the blemishes have been covered in some type of "Trade only" polish or cream compound that has worn off through cleaning the car over the last few months.
I remember my parents experiencing the same thing a couple of years ago, the car was only a couple of years old and had mint bodywork, but after a few washes the defects started to show.

Is there something out there that can hide blemishes and even v minor dents?
If anyone knows of anything, please reply as I want to sort these issues out asap and before the winter.

Cheers
Golf MK2 8v small bumper
Seat Ibiza PD TDI 130 Sport (daily driver)

Offline Conker

• I live here
Re: What to use to cover up blemishes in paint?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2008, 21:23 »
Coloured wax can help conceal minor nasties, but to me it sounds like yours has had "el cheapo" paint touch-ups e.g. a paint pen.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2008, 22:17 »
if you've got minor dents i would suggest getting a quote off the dent magicians, get your stone chips sorted then look on elite car care or clean and shiney and invest in some glaze,sealent,and some collinite 845 wax or 476 hard wax :wink:
« Last Edit: 03 September 2008, 23:07 by dubplate Dan »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Skywalker80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2008, 11:18 »
Cheers for the advice guys, sorry for the late reply, been busy sorting my suspension out.

Yeah, some of my stone chips have been touched up by a cheap touch up pen-probably from Halfords that doesn't quite match the true colour.
I'm not that bothered about stone chips as its part of daily driving and can be hard to avoid.

I'm more concerned over the filled rear door, which has only become apparent in the last month, i'm sure there is something in the trade that they use to conceal these type of defects?
Golf MK2 8v small bumper
Seat Ibiza PD TDI 130 Sport (daily driver)

NewGolf

« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2008, 17:41 »
Hi Skywalker80,
Can you post any pics to see what the blemishes look like?  :smiley:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2008, 22:36 »
would advise to touch as many stone chips as possible to stop the rain/contaminants getting in and foooooking your paint up :wink: any protection is better than no protection.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!