Author Topic: Some tips from me :)  (Read 3507 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Some tips from me :)
« on: 13 August 2008, 14:39 »
Hello all

Those that are active on detailing may have noticed my post about a car I detailed recently. I wont be an attention w-hore so will just give you guys some tips and a few of the pics from the detail as the car involved was a Audi A4 and being VAG the paintwork is similar to that of our Vdubs.

Tip number one:

I actually got this from Blue182 off this forum and this was previously discussed on this forum but with regards to dog hair. I would suggest taking a normal scrubbing brush and slowly running it acroos the carpets a few times. Then wrap sticky tape over your hands and slowly run your hand over the carpets etc. It takes a lot of patience but without even using a vacuum cleaner I pulled enough hair to fill three shopping bags.  :sick:

Tip number 2:

When it comes to rims and cleaning rims I have the following tips. Depending on the age of the vehicle and its condition it may actually be easier to simply take the rims off as I did with this car. I suggest spraying a extra strength degreaser over the rim first and then use a conventional dishwashing liquid to finish it off. Then clay the rims completely with a small piece of clay. Rewash with car shampoo and a good polish.

Tip number three:

When polishing split the car up into sections. With a car of this size I found that I could not always remember what sections had or had not been done yet. OR which sections still needed to be worked on.

Tip number four:

When cleaning the exhausts I suggest the following quick tip. Over a period of a few hours spray degreaser into the exhaust and around it. When I say into the exhaust I really mean it. Do this every hour for about 4 hours (During those four hours you will be polishing etc) and then finally spray the exhaust down after agitating with a brush inside and out. Then spray one more coat of degreaser. Start the car and as is the case with this Audi let the V6 engine do all the work. Bring the revs up and then give it one or two bursts of power in neutral and watch all the dirt fly out the exhaust and leave a clean and dry exhaust behind  :wink:

Final tip for the day:

When buying tyre dressing buy a dressing that foams. Once you have scrubbed the arches or at least sprayed them down simply spray the foam over the tyres and in the arches. Once dried give another coat or another until the canister runs out. This gives a dark and wet look on both the wheels and arches.

Hope I have helped a few people  :smiley:

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
Re: Some tips from me :)
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2008, 17:52 »
Good tips!

I'd also add that when cleaning wheels, it's definately worth taking them off and using something like a good sealant like Jetseal 109 (expensive but lasts ages) and doing 2 or 3 coats with that, and then finishing it off with a couple of coats of wax. This will make life much easier when cleaning them in the future and stop dirt and brake dust sticking to them.

NewGolf

« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2008, 18:32 »
Top tips there 08micsta, the car looks great.  :smiley:
Can you recommend any products that you use and would keep on using, as there are so many out there and it gets expensive trying them out. With someone who knows what they are doing, it may save a lot of time and expense!

Good work bud  :smiley:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2008, 23:42 »
Can you recommend any products that you use and would keep on using, as there are so many out there and it gets expensive trying them out. With someone who knows what they are doing, it may save a lot of time and expense!

if you have a particular product in mind feel free to ask a question about it and people will either tell  you to go for it or suggest an alternative

good work mike - those rims looks pretty heavily contaminated... would also suggest a wheel sealant to finish them off and protect them in future... I have just started using the poorboys one and it is excellent

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2008, 09:22 »
Alrighty.

Great tips you have for us. More in the future. More on choosing the right parts and accessories next time. It will definitely help some of the members in here too.

When it comes to different products and accessories I think Guy might agree that maybe we should have a sticky section with what would be considered the "Ultimate detailing kit" and perhaps have a short write up for the best tips and how to's when using those products? I mention that I once again dont mind doing write ups.

I will start a write up on the most useful accessories I have etc later today.

if you have a particular product in mind feel free to ask a question about it and people will either tell  you to go for it or suggest an alternative

good work mike - those rims looks pretty heavily contaminated... would also suggest a wheel sealant to finish them off and protect them in future... I have just started using the poorboys one and it is excellent

Thanks. I have noticed that the clay leaves the wheel fresh and the water just glides off. I dont have access to poor boys etc here in South Africa but do have access to my Bilt Hamber etc and giving the rims a coat of that works wonders.

With someone who knows what they are doing, it may save a lot of time and expense!

Yeah... About that... I dont always know what Im doing  :evil: :grin: :lipsrsealed:

Mike
« Last Edit: 14 August 2008, 10:57 by Guy »

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.