Author Topic: Tar and Fall-Out Removers  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Tar and Fall-Out Removers
« on: 09 March 2021, 12:57 »
First proper wash after winter for my runabout car (which has never been polished or waxed in the four and a half years I’ve owned it) and now I can see the paint in all its spotty glory.
The wash mitt was badly dragging over the upper panels and the lower panels have more tar spots than a polka dot skirt has dots.

Having been a long time user of Tardis and Iron-X a delve into my cleaning stuff box revealed the Tardis has mostly evaporated and the Iron-X is almost empty too.

So, being as these are fairly old products now and will need replenishing anyway, does anyone have any preferred alternatives I could try?
Nothing too aggressive as I don’t want to wreck my driveway!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Tar and Fall-Out Removers
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2021, 13:32 »
I use either Valet Pro Dragon’s Breath or Car Pro Iron X for iron fallout removal. Both stink to high heaven but they are pretty effective.

I’m currently using Valet Pro Citrus Tar and Glue Remover to get rid of tar spots. It smells of oranges (makes up for the smell of the iron fallout removal products) and removes tar spots without too much effort. I find that by dabbing some on the affected area and leaving it to soften the tar spots for a few minutes, followed by a wipe off with a soft microfibre usually does the job, although it might be necessary to repeat on really stubborn tar spots.

Best to apply a couple of coats of wax or sealant afterwards to add some protection.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2021, 14:13 »
I use Carpro too, I bought a new formula that they claimed was less offensive on the olfactory system, but they lied. Works well though. Might be worth getting a clay mitt too, my Wo-Wo one has been great and is really quick to use, makes a big difference for minimal effort.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2021, 14:22 »
Thanks SR :afro:
I may well give Valet Pro products a visit, it’s good to have a change now and again.

Polish and wax that old thing? Nah, not gonna happen!   :grin:
It’s gets a regular bath using CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (as recommended some years ago by our detailing mod) which to be fair does give it a semi-decent lustre on its own.
Having said that my OH does keep threatening to buy me a DA polisher for my birthday or Xmas to help stop me moaning about the state of my paint, but I’d rather it be a retirement present so I’d actually have time to spend properly on the car! Only another 15 - 20 years to go! 

Thanks also Watts, I do have a clay mitt somewhere. Last I remember some QD stuff leaked all over its packaging in my garage   :rolleyes:
I can’t really be bothered to spend time claying these days, I’ve become a “wash ‘n’ go” kind of guy.
Maybe one day...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2021, 15:57 »
Tardis & Iron-X for me.  Don't need it just yet but I picked some up for when I do.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2021, 13:29 »
How would I know when to use it? My wifes car is twelve months old and I want to wax it not sure whether I should use a fall out remover first?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2021, 14:09 »
Tar spots are small but easily spotted, they just won't wash off. For iron fallout, when washed put your hand in a sandwich bag and gently stroke over the paintwork, you'll feel it as a bit rough, not glassy smooth. If your wife's car has never been detailed it is quite possible it'll be covered in iron fallout. When I did my current car, I was expecting a good few runs of purple (when the remover reacts to iron) but pretty much the whole car went purple!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2022, 00:28 »
Post revival so apologies. My alloys are coated in gtechniq c5 but I've still got loads of fallout even after doing them twice with gtechnic fallout remover.  Any suggestions on what else to use to get the fallout off? Would a claybar work or am I better off trying a different fallout remover?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2022, 15:42 »
Post revival so apologies. My alloys are coated in gtechniq c5 but I've still got loads of fallout even after doing them twice with gtechnic fallout remover.  Any suggestions on what else to use to get the fallout off? Would a claybar work or am I better off trying a different fallout remover?

Bilt Hamber Korrosol

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2022, 16:59 »
Is it that much better than the gtechniq stuff?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.