Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529282 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2015, 17:54 »
Gliptone leather stuff is a change for you ain't it Rebecca?

It is.  It's been on my 'to try' list for ages and as I've finally finished my DoDo Juice Supernatural leather  stuff I thought I'd give it a go now.  Have you ever used it Dan?  I'll let you know what I think of it if you're interested?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2015, 20:21 »
I was about to order some supernatural leather cleaner and gtechniq l1 so yeah let me know what you think of the gliptone cleaner especially.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2015, 21:16 »
Will do.

The Gtechniq L1 is good stuff.  I use it a couple times a year on mine, gives great protection.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2015, 22:38 »
This thread has gone well so far  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2015, 10:03 »
I've not cleaned any of the cars for a couple of weeks, but the thread didn't specify that it ought to be just about cars. So last night I gave my road bike a not really needed detail.

I started by brushing the transmission with Fenwicks de-greaser and then cleaning the chain with my Parktool Cyclone chain scrubber. This was all rinsed off using a low pressure garden sprayer before giving the whole bike a spray over with Muck Off. A second rinse was followed by a wash using Autoglym shampoo/conditioner then a final rinse off.

The drying process consisted of picking the bike up and shaking as much water off as I could before drying with a fluffy MF towel. The transmission was then dried using an old hairdryer before re-lubing the chain with Raceline Dry Lube, ensuring that all the rollers were coated and excess lube from the outer faces of the link wiped off.

Apart from grubby finger marks on the white bar tape, it looks as good as new again and was all completed in less than half an hour. It takes me three times that long just to wash one car.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2015, 13:28 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2015, 12:31 »
^^
Cheeky!

I vaguely remember someone starting a specific cycling thread once upon a time for this very purpose.  Can you remember who it was??  :tongue:  :kiss:

Still, as this thread seems to double up as a general detailing chat thread (which may occasionally get back on topic, now and then  :whistle:), you may take that liberty on this occasion.

I was thinking of waxing my new MTB the other day, but then I got a grip.  Sounds like you done a thorough job Simon.  Mine's got white handlebar tape too, that'll be clean for two minutes!

I still might wax it.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2015, 12:52 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2015, 13:32 »
I was thinking of waxing my new MTB the other day,

There's little point in me doing that as my bike has a nice matt finish. Having said that, I passed a garage that had a matt finished M3 for sale and it appeared to have water beads on it. Unless it had been wrapped, how do you maintain this that type of paint.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2015, 14:07 »
I was thinking of waxing my new MTB the other day,

There's little point in me doing that as my bike has a nice matt finish. Having said that, I passed a garage that had a matt finished M3 for sale and it appeared to have water beads on it. Unless it had been wrapped, how do you maintain this that type of paint.

I had the vary same thought the other week when I was stuck in traffic and saw this (presumably wrapped) matt black GTR? 

My MTB is also matt black frame but waxing would still heps the mud to slide off?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2015, 14:56 »
Those exhausts are just stupid. What does Nissan think that car is? A Honda Civic?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2015, 15:07 »
Those exhausts are just stupid. What does Nissan think that car is? A Honda Civic?

I'm thinking of fitting something similar to my bike  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual