Author Topic: Wlan in 7.5 Golfs  (Read 3476 times)

Offline solano

• Not said much yet
Wlan in 7.5 Golfs
« on: 27 October 2020, 20:10 »
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question, as I am not from the UK.
How is the wlan/internet handled in UK cars, in order to be able to use Guide & inform? Does the car has an integrated sim card that feeds the car internet?

Thank you very much!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Wlan in 7.5 Golfs
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2020, 20:30 »
Only late mk7.5's have the integrated sim. Mine is from 2017 without an integrated sim so I use mobile 4g data on my phone.
7.5 GTD

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2020, 06:27 »
The e-sim fitted to late model 7.5's is only used for SOS, security and We Connect services.  To use Car Net you still need to connect a mobile to the WLAN so no different to cars without e-sim.
TCR 3 door

Offline solano

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2020, 07:19 »
Thank you for the replies. So is live traffic from "Guide and Inform" part of We Connect, or Car Net? Also does it matter if the infotainment system is Discover Media or Media Pro?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2020, 07:41 »
No difference in connectivity between the normal and the pro one. Both the same in that feature.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2020, 09:11 »
Genuine question. Does anyone really used these WLAN and WeConnect features? I’ve never managed to get mine fully set up, so gave up trying and now just use Android Auto based services instead. Am I missing anything?
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2020, 09:15 »
It's not very good tbh. The aa/acp experience is far better. About the only plus to using the vw system is that it's wireless and allows you to keep two phones connected via Bluetooth.

Both of those shortfalls are addressed in the mk8, where the new mib is improved with aa/acp.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2020, 09:38 »
Live traffic in Guide and Inform uses Car Net so data via your phone over the car WLAN.  As others have said, it really doesn't offer anything as good as the info provided by Waze or Maps via AA or CarPlay.

We Connect I've found useful on occasions (geo-fencing alerts when you've used valet parking at the airport being one) but I'd consider it a nice to have rather than essential.
TCR 3 door

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2020, 10:33 »
What you can do with the native system is get live traffic data shown on maps in the active info display. It's not life changing, but it is something that Android Auto and Apple CarPlay cannot do, even in the Mk8.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2020, 11:14 »
The second screen function is definitely supported in ACP on IOS13.... just not sure if VW have enabled it in their software on the Mk8.