Author Topic: MK3 Grey reflection shots?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
MK3 Grey reflection shots?
« on: 28 August 2009, 14:45 »
Just wondering if anyone has any good pics of a detailed grey mk3 gti? Even when mine is clean the reflection shots are bit poor. Neighbour has a navy mk4 which even when filthy has better reflections than my valver. Its a bit disheartening. Dont want to spend alot of my weekend cleaning if the colour of the car wont do me any justice

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: MK3 Grey reflection shots?
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2009, 20:13 »
silver and grey can be difficult to get reflection shots from but it can be achieved

roof of a silver mk4 i did way back when

there are more recent silver cars here http://www.tonavaleting.com/gallery

what is your current cleaning process and what is your budget?

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2009, 11:57 »

For the bodywork I have autoglm shampoo, SRP polish and tar remover, Meguiars Clay kit and deep crystal carnauba wax. (lots of other products for glass, tyres, interior etc)

Have a rotary that i bought in Halfords about a year ago, haven’t used it yet and I don’t have any pads etc for it. Know now I should of saved for a G220 or similar but wasn’t in the know at the time. I should try and get pads for the rotary (might pm Chris) and set aside a full day to try and give it a full detail.

Budget wise, I shouldn’t really be spending any money. Getting married in 11 weeks so things are a bit tight. I would invest in pads and compounds alright if they would fit the rotary I bought.

Know your not a fan of the autoglm stuff but will use it until it runs out and maybe try some of the products you have recommended in previous threads.

I haven’t clayed the car yet so that should make a difference.

The clay / rotary is probably what will make the difference as all cleaning at the mo is done by hand

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2009, 12:52 »
first off... clay the car... you will honestly be amazed at the difference it makes.. I don't think you stand a chance of getting a shine without doing this

then use the SRP and follow that up with the deep crystal caranuba wax

I don't know which rotary you purchased... i hope it isn't one of those ones that just spreads polish about.. if it is a fast speed rotary then you will have to go careful with the pads and polishes as you could easily burn and marr your paintwork

you should be ok getting a shine with the products you have  :smiley:

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2009, 13:21 »
Cheers guy, rotary is probably rubbish, ill take a photo later on and let me know if I'll be wasting my time with it.

Ill take some before and after pictures so when i get a chance. Hopefully the clay will work its magic.