Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 28971 times)

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2018, 20:55 »
Reflecting on others commenting on R ownership, I totally get how you could enjoy ownership of the R overall. I took out a lightly modified R estate in September to compare against my family car replacement choice. (Was looking to get out of a dreadful ownership experience with Land Rover at the time, - broke down 3 times within a year with major problems) I liked the Jeckle and Hyde way the car could behave depending on if in Race mode or not and fuel consumption was better than I expected with mixed A and B road drives locally.

I then compared it to a new bmw 335d msport touring shadow edition and ended up going for that giving huge discounts on them at moment as run out model. Not regretted it, but similar in a way with a smooth driving technique can get good economy mid thirties to early 40ish. When mood takes you then torque wave is immense and similar to R but with the 6 cylinder it feels more linear and turbine like.

I still feel the GTI PP is the better everyday choice and it’s the one I would put the miles on and enjoy more as more chuckable and enjoyable in the corners especially.  I am lucky to enjoy the majority of northern Scottish roads, so this is something that swings it for me. Hope my thoughts help in some way to your choice.... :smiley:
« Last Edit: 04 December 2018, 20:58 by runningman35 »
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2018, 06:31 »
The only issue at the moment is with the pp GTi being less exclusive than before. It was a reasonably rare sight to see a GTi with the PP whereas now every man and his dog will be driving them.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2018, 07:26 »
The only issue at the moment is with the pp GTi being less exclusive than before. It was a reasonably rare sight to see a GTi with the PP whereas now every man and his dog will be driving them.

On here maybe there is a lot of talk but In reality I still see very few GTi’s out on the road compared to GTD’s  :undecided:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2018, 07:29 »
This is a bit like comparing a Rolex Submariner to a GMT. Everyone has their preference and some even have both. But at the end of the day, not much in it. Both do slightly different things, both are great products and much better than anything the opposition has in a similar price bracket.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2018, 11:47 »
 :wink: Have kept out of this debate as my views on the R can be found in archives I guess?
 Apart from looks which is in the eyes of the beholder. I think the R F/L is superior on every level over the excellent GTI. Ok not on economy but hey we're talking hot hatches here. And 'It ain't heavy it's my brother' :wink:
To add I love the sound of mine, the RS3 sounds as good as the Honda Type R looks :sick: (as in horrible) IMO folks!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #25 on: 05 December 2018, 14:44 »
I agree that the face lift R is an improvement over the pre FL.
I'm seeing a fair few more GTI's round my area than I previously did but hardly any PP models.
GTD's are plentiful but then they are a great looking car so what's not to like  :smiley:
Saw my first up! GTI this week and I loved it!
Can't believe @Exonian hasn't already sprung for one  :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 05 December 2018, 16:31 »
:wink: Have kept out of this debate as my views on the R can be found in archives I guess?
 Apart from looks which is in the eyes of the beholder. I think the R F/L is superior on every level over the excellent GTI. Ok not on economy but hey we're talking hot hatches here. And 'It ain't heavy it's my brother' :wink:
To add I love the sound of mine, the RS3 sounds as good as the Honda Type R looks :sick: (as in horrible) IMO folks!

You are of course completely wrong. The noise of the RS3 is possibly the best sounding engine in any car sub £50k new car. They toned down the FL version but a 65 plate with Audi sports exhaust is border line obscene for the noise it makes!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 05 December 2018, 16:33 »
This is a bit like comparing a Rolex Submariner to a GMT. Everyone has their preference and some even have both. But at the end of the day, not much in it. Both do slightly different things, both are great products and much better than anything the opposition has in a similar price bracket.

GMT and GTI for me  :smiley:

But I haven't driven an R and definitely would like to. Been in a Mk7 one and it felt so much quicker than mine.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 05 December 2018, 17:18 »

You are of course completely wrong. The noise of the RS3 is possibly the best sounding engine in any car sub £50k new car. They toned down the FL version but a 65 plate with Audi sports exhaust is border line obscene for the noise it makes!

Engine noise can be a strange one, I've no idea what an RS3 in particular sounds like but when I hear a really good sounding engine it can be quite a thrill but I wouldn't want something like that myself as I'd feel a bit of a tit driving it... :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Deano07

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 05 December 2018, 18:45 »
I had a Jaguar F Type BDE. Best sound out there at the moment in my opinion
Audi 2017 S4 Saloon. VW 2018 T Roc  soon to go