Author Topic: Any tips to get your insurance down?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Phil 117

• GTI forum regular
Any tips to get your insurance down?
« on: 16 November 2013, 18:48 »
Hi All,

I'm picking up my new mk7 GTD on the 1st of December, and need to get the insurance sorted out.

I've had company cars for the last 2 years, so haven't insured myself for a while. Just wanted to know if there's any 'tips' to help get it down.

I am 19 currently (20 in a few days time), so will be 20 on the policy.

I've found adding my mum, dad, and two brothers reduces it down.

I've also found saying leaving my car on the street in cheaper than in a driveway? If I do actually park on a driveway, does this invalidate my insurance?

High excess (be it only £100) reduces the policy by £500.

I'm currently down to £713, so not too bad, but as they say, look after the pennies and the pounds save themselves.
Recently sold my GTD.

Offline Waspy

• I live here
Re: Any tips to get your insurance down?
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2013, 22:19 »
Can I just say

a) 20 with a mk7 GTD is insane, you must be doing well for yourself!
b) A 20 year old with 700quid insurance is very uncommon on any car, never mind on a brand new mk7 GTD.
So be pleased, anything lower is a bonus!

Make sure your stated profession is the cheapest (while still being accurate) there are online checkers.
The more named drivers the better (with more experience than you) as it reduces the chance if you driving the car, you have pretty much covered that though.
I don't think parking on drive would invalidate it, because it just has to be on the street "most of the time" same with the overnight location of the car. But don't take that as gospel.
Sometime business miles are cheaper than personal miles, so if you use the car for business at all, get those stated.
Comprehensive is often cheapest.
When doing comparison sites, make the start date 30days from now. If you compare a start date a month away to a week away the quote can be hundreds of pounds different. They prey on people desperate for insurance.
Like I say, your current quote is very good anyway.
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley: