Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 361590 times)

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
Hey all,

I'm gutted that I didn't read this thread earlier, but my 2010 Gti @ 75k has just had suffered the same fate. I had the tensioner, chain, guides etc changed hoping it would be no damage. No compression on any cylinder, now the head needs to come off and inspect whats happened. Still in disbelief  :sad:

damn bro, i feel your pain! was there any chain noise or did you check the  chain reading in obd prior to this happening??

whats your next move? have you tried VW-UK? i gave up trying to get anything out of my local VW dealerships, they just wern't interested in anything other than getting me booked in and giving them permission to carry out the work

new engine from midland vw is £2,500
« Last Edit: 16 August 2020, 06:44 by ramrod »
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline Jontadek92

• Just got here
  • Black GTI DSG 60 Plate
I heard the chain noise once, then it didn’t start after that. My mechanic is going to change the 8 valves and rockers and hope that does it.
Fingers crossed
I tried VW UK and trading standards and got nowhere  :sad:

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
there was a massive payout to usa mk6 owners due to this very same issue via VW of America from what i have researched
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline drokkeh

• Not said much yet
Does anyone know how to check for chain stretch in OBD 11?

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
Does anyone know how to check for chain stretch in OBD 11?

Go to live data block 93 and you will get the chain readings but nothing beats a visual inspection imo but you will have a rough idea from the readings if you need to be concerned.

I’ve been in touch with vw uk, got a case number and the car is booked in for a chain and tensioner check on 30th .... kind of hoping I have the original chain and tensioner and they find metal in the oil  :whistle wouldn’t mind a new engine  :grin:
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Useful link if it fails and you want to know how to fix it

https://youtu.be/hRAcxGdkcZU
Credit to the Humble Mechanic Charles.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time

I tried VW UK and trading standards and got nowhere  :sad:

the original chain and tensioner should have been changed under the original warranty multiple times as the chain was revised 4 times and the tensioner 3 times before they got it right and all cars rolling off the production line in 2013 had the revised parts fitted..it seems VW decided not to recall the 50,000 odd cars affected and now a few years down the line are fobbing people off, dont take no for an answer, its a non serviceable part meant to the last the lifetime of the vehicle!

get a case number from here: executive.office@volkswagen.co.uk
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
Useful link if it fails and you want to know how to fix it

https://youtu.be/hRAcxGdkcZU
Credit to the Humble Mechanic Charles.

great video but i do not meet the minimum skill level to do it myself :cry:
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Hazimaro

• Not said much yet
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience getting the following done as preventative maintenance:

Timing Chain
Timing Chain Tensioner
Timing Chain Cover
Timing Chain Guides/Rails
Balance Shaft Timing Chain
Balance Shaft Guides/Rails
Oil Pump Chain
Oil Pump Tensioner
Oil Pickup Pipe
Oil Pickup Pipe Seal
Crankshaft Oil Seal
Crankshaft Bolt
Gasket x2
Sealant
Sump Bung Washer
Oil Filter
5W40 Platinum Engine Oil (4.5u)

Took it to James at VDS Performance for £950, all OEM revised parts and done in 3 days. Other places were trying to charge me £1100 for the same replacement parts and just the tensioner and timing chain.

All my components inside were stock, I did some live data on my OBD11 and saw that my chain stretch was at -3.85° when engine was 90° warm. Decided to get it done to save the headache, when I brought it in he said that the reading I had was correct and on the day he got round to changing everything it had hit the -4.00° mark. James came highly recommended from another MK6 forum.

Very pleased with using him and his price was more than reasonable. He also had a look at my fuel pump which was giving me a bit of an extended crank.

Very interested in this, I’ve checked and the garage isn’t to far off. Was this including parts?
« Last Edit: 28 November 2020, 14:39 by Hazimaro »

Offline Jason123

• Just got here
Hi all,

Have read every page but wanted to post and ask for some questions.

Longed for a GTI for years and years, finally coming to the idea to afford one.

Was critically ill 15 months ago and have also wanted one!

Sorry for the story, starting to do my reasearch into purchasing one but this timing chain issue is a real concern to me.

I am looking at a 2012 plate GTI with a DSG gear box and am very concerned about the chain and the mechantronics on the box?

It’s a big investment and wanting to make the right decision!

Do you think it’s giving it a pass or due to the year I am looking to buy is it worth it?

Thanks for all your support