Author Topic: The wife's opinion on my new GTI  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
The wife's opinion on my new GTI
« on: 10 March 2019, 20:43 »
Doesn't particularly like the colour.  Thinks the wheels are too big and the exhaust is too loud.  Doesn't like the tartan seats or the shiny gloss plastics on the dash, which she thinks look cheap and nasty.  Thinks the ride is too firm and the car is too fast.  Says it was too expensive and the running costs will be too high.  Other than that, she thinks it's ok, but preferred my A3.

Anyone else have an other half that just doesn't get the essence of a GTI?  Meanwhile, I am slated on her Instagram page for being indifferent about the colour and presentation of her soft furnishings.   :shocked:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
Re: The wife's opinion on my new GTI
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2019, 21:05 »
My Mrs has pretty much disliked all my cars - however she quite likes the GTi (which is a massive compliment)- bonus

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2019, 21:23 »
Trade her in!

My OH is generally quite supportive although if she really disliked something I wouldn't buy it since it's our money :rolleyes: Her favourite car was a 1993ish Audi 100 Avant as it was big and very comfortable. For some unknown reason she hates BMWs so I've never had one. She does like a GTI though so we're fine at the moment :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2019, 21:45 »
She's just storing up some get out of jail free card next time she buys something utterly pointless - like a £500 handbag! :grin:

I haven't driven my Golf R for commuting for about a year now  I started driving her A1 1.6TDI when it didn't appreciate her congested 7 mile commute (DPF permanently on active regen). In my hands, with a 20 mile commute  It went from 38mpg to 65mpg when driven hard. Then we sold it and bought the Polo GTI+ last Aug and she's stayed with the R. She likes the unflappable power, but still prefers her A1. She'll have to rein in 1st gear acceleration when the R goes for Polo GTI+ number 2 in (probably) May - it's due to be built in a week's time and it does tramp when provoked.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2019, 22:07 »
a £500 handbag! :grin:

If my OH spent that on a bag I'd have her medication adjusted :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2019, 22:14 »
You need a seriously impractical old sportscar without a roof or stupidly fast race car with harnesses and a fitted roll cage, that way the Golf is the sensible option! :)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2019, 22:32 »
To be honest, I think if I swapped the VW badge for four rings and it had leather seats instead of Jacara, she'd be fine with it!  #BadgeSnob  :grin:  To be fair, she doesn't dislike it per se, she's just indifferent to cars and was being critical because of the amount of money I spent and because in her eyes, there was nowt wrong with the A3.  Which of course, there wasn't but I'd owned it for 3.5 years and it was time for a change :smiley:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2019, 00:55 »
FWIW my wife hasn't liked any car I've owned.  There's always something....  The 2017 Trendline got closest to being acceptable, but even that was deemed "too Silver"! 
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2019, 06:32 »
Mine stamped her feet when I got my DSG Passat, saying she hated autos and would never drive it, (having never driven one.) After a few solo 'test drives' she came round to the correct way of thinking and now won't have a manual.

When I got rid of that and bought the far more sensible and practical Amarok, she said she wouldn't drive that either as it was too big. But again a couple of test drives later... In fact, it made her disklike her Golf for being too small that it got replaced with the Tiguan.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2019, 06:33 »
Typical woman. Always wanting something bigger. 🤣