Author Topic: How do I.......  (Read 1654 times)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
How do I.......
« on: 21 April 2004, 10:15 »
.........make my motor faster ? I am currently driving a mk1 Rivage cab on a J plate, I'm keen to keep it standard on everything except the engine (when I get some cash). I see so much talk on the forum about doing this and that for various mks, so my question is, what steps would I have to take to give it a little more 'poke'? I don't want to change the wheels or lower it, I'm just looking for a bit more performance out of it. But is it best to lower if doing certain mods ? The engine itself is good and runs well so I'm not looking to change it or anything, I'm just after a few tweaks, but if doing this mod means that you have to do that mod (i.e. lower the car ) then that's getting away from me keeping it standard. Not sure if I've made myself clear of what I'm after.

The upshot is, how do I get it faster under the bonnet without changing anything (or much) outside it ? Thanks.
......now officially dubless.

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:How do I.......
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2004, 10:28 »
the first question should be - how much do you want to shell out?
If its just a small amout, then start with a K&N filter, and a decent exhaust sytstem. But, if you have a lot of cash to throw around, then you could get it into one of the many VW modifiers and have a full engine transplant - maybe a 1.8T or a G60, even VR6 (but that would require new shocks at least)
The upgrades are endless - its all down to cash!
Ads
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2004, 10:48 »
Thanks Ads, I'm not wanting to put in a new engine, I'm just after some quick tweaks really like filter, exhaust etc, but I heard that K & Ns dont do anything without other mods and tweaks to go with it.

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2004, 11:05 »
If its just a few tweaks you are after then I would suggest giving the car a good service first, with some decent spark plugs, and a good quality oil, replace the filter with a K&N panel, then start thinking about changing the exhaust system for something like a powerflow, or mongoose.
Powerflow are built to the car and your requirements, so you may even be able to keep it looking fairly standard.
these few "tweaks" really are the root to unleashing some intial power gain. It should net you about 10BHP max.

I have done fairly little to my engine, but these mods I mentioned were a definate "must do"

Check out what I have done here http://www.golfgti.co.uk/viewfeature_content.asp?featureID=25

But remember - a cab is about looking good  8)
« Last Edit: 21 April 2004, 11:07 by AdamB »

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2004, 11:12 »
Cheers for the advice Ads. Yup, cab is for looking good, but it's also nice to have a little bit extra when you need it  ;D Always liked the Rivage but you've nearly converted me to the sportline by the way  :D

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2004, 15:26 »
gibby what u really need is washer jets and neons - guarenteed to make your cab fly like a g60  :P

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2004, 16:34 »
get a decent 4-2-1 manifold too. avoid teh 4-1's as they don't give you much in the mid-rev range department.

A nice highlift cam should improve things. Other than that you'd looking at some headwork and lightening and balancing things.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2004, 17:40 »
4-2-1 manifolds are as rare as a good looking saxo! you'd think with the amout of people out there after one of these beauties, that someone would have fabricated a job lot by now!!! (hint, hint)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2004, 17:50 »
4-2-1 manifolds are as rare as a good looking saxo! you'd think with the amout of people out there after one of these beauties, that someone would have fabricated a job lot by now!!! (hint, hint)

I'm after one too........reluctant to do my throttle body mod until I've got rid of that horrible 4 into 1 with those awkward C clamps >:(

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2004, 10:41 »
Thanks for all your input and advice.

I'm just nipping out to get some neon lights and watch me fly, thanks Vix  ;)