Author Topic: My locknut adapter just rolled down the grid  (Read 2471 times)

Offline GavG60

• Here all the time
  • keep my credit cards away from me please :-(
Re:My locknut adapter just rolled down the grid
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2004, 10:42 »
if you're anywhere near east london, take it to Elite in Dagenham, took mine off when I bought my golf (last owner lost nut) cost me ?15 to get them all taken off. worth it to save hours of cursing, skinned knuckles etc ;)

Offline Golfer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2004, 11:51 »
I had same prob on me last car - did exactly the same as WinstonB - bang a slot in then use hammer and chisel to tease them round.  Funny thing was it was an Easter Monday and I was down at me dad's workshop on a dodgy industrial estate.  Old Bill came sniffing around (routine checK) to see me and me old man with a jacked up car, hacking away at the wheels!!
1998 Mk3 GTi 8v - now sold :(

2003 BMW 320d 150bhp now bought :)
2002 Seat Leon (almost a Mk4!)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2004, 14:44 »
It pi55ed me off at the time when I saw this, but in an autotrader (Yorkshire edition) the other week I saw an advert for a tool in the breakers and salvage section that can take off all locking wheel nuts ! It was only a question of time before the thieving gets have them but for genuine problems like this it would be ideal. Can't remember the website or anything though, not much help really !
......now officially dubless.

Offline nrgizerbunny

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2004, 15:05 »
double posted
« Last Edit: 20 April 2004, 15:07 by nrgizerbunny »

Offline nrgizerbunny

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2004, 15:06 »
i got two methods

firstly take a blowtorch to your bolt,  the bolt will expand and then as it contracts it will be easier to get off (try mole grips or i got this thing i bought in b and q called a "robogrip" its the bomb). i would try a test section somewhere you can't see to see if the (alloy) wheel reacts to the heat - it shouldn't if they are forged.

other method is to drill, if you get a drill of about 2mm less diameter than the bolt and drill through the midddle the sidewall of the bolt will crack and you'll be able to get the bolt off. then wack the crap out with a small screwdriver.

that tool that gibby mentioned will rip your bolt to pieces, but does the same thing as drilling really.

failling that, my mum's polo didn't come with a locking adaptor went down the dealer and they just gave us one. might be worth a try.

hope this helps

have a nice day

sanj

Offline winstonb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2004, 15:35 »
failling that, my mum's polo didn't come with a locking adaptor went down the dealer and they just gave us one. might be worth a try.

sort of makes having lock nuts a bit pointless  ::)

Offline carrie

• Here all the time
  • i can see into your soul and its not good
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2004, 15:42 »
i would be very careful taking a blow torch to alloy wheels as it could weaken the alloy. in anycase i think making the bolt expand would tighten the bolt its the drum/disk area that would need to expand

SAY YOU LOVE SATIN?, NO SATAN, ITS SATAN

Offline lowgolf

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2004, 18:52 »
Couldnt find it with a magnet. Gonner get the stud extracter on the job tomorow. Should move em right ouf of there  :)
<br /><br />Yeah!!!