Author Topic: A new mk VI GTI or S3  (Read 9726 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: A new mk VI GTI or S3
« Reply #30 on: 15 June 2009, 13:50 »
Why is the GTI and GTI-R mentioned as being a direct update of the GTI ? Its a bit unfair. The GTI is a GTI nothing more, mothing less. The GTI-R is not the GTI's newer faster brother, its an update of the R32. It also keeps getting mentioned as though they are going to cost the same too and will be the same to run.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Jkctr

« Reply #31 on: 15 June 2009, 21:38 »
I share your dilemma. But for me, the Golf is the clear winner at this time.

Audi A3 is due to replaced for model year 2011. Next version will be built on new platform to be used across Golf, SEAT and Skoda ranges in addition to Audi models. Audi is focusing on developing a much lighter body shell that incorporate 30% weight savings. Both Autocar and Auto Express have shown renderings of what the car will look like. It looks fantastic. Audi is also apparently developing an RS3 which will get TT-RS's 5-cylinder engine and a new 7-speed DSG box. This will be the car that eats the Ford Focus RS for breakfast.

I imagine that RS3 won't arrive before 2012, but the S3 may be in showrooms by end of 2011. I certainly wouldn't by a current S3, because soon it will be obsolete and out of production - so you'll suffer greater depreciation when new model arrives - and, secondly, the new GTI-R will soon be out and is likely to be quicker than S3. If you can wait, you won't be disappointed by the next gen S3. But the Mark 6 Golf GTI is here now and the Golf R / GTI-R will be here around Christmas.  

lol the RS3 will be around £40k mate, the RS is £30k. You are better off comparing it against an evo fq400 which it will fail against. I seriously doubt the S3 will be launched the same year as the A3 (2011 isnt even confirmed) so expect a 2012 release date. The gti-r will also be FWD, better off with a mapped ed30, will beat the S3 on price and is a better car than the mk6

Just get an R32  :evil: :lipsrsealed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5Es94TmlE&feature=related&pos=1

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #32 on: 07 July 2009, 23:21 »

whilst the S3 is faster, has 4wd, the better brand and arguably better build quality... sorry but its does looks really really boring.  much as every M Sport BMW has cheapened the look of the M-series, the S-Line Audis have cheapened the look of the S3. 

the mk vi gti just looks so much more up to date.  i was shocked whilst in the vw dealersship that when i walked between the mkv and mkvi golfs, how much the mkv seemed to have dated.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 08 July 2009, 08:08 »
Its only when you spend time in the MK6 that you do realise that the MK5 is a little dated. My brother had one of the first MK5 Golfs when they were first out... and that was some time ago. At the time I hated the look of the MK5 and thought that the MK4 was a much more attractive option. The reason I mention this is that in a year or two's time you will be wishing you had a new shape A3 as opposed to an old shape one.

Its just a matter of time before you start to see the MK6's around alot more, after which they grow on you. As for the S3, they have just been around for so long that they have killed that shape to death. Plus for me the deciding factor would be that the S3 would be std and the Golf would be fully kitted out. That being the deciding factor I would go for the Golf everyday!!

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 08 July 2009, 10:05 »
Secondhand RS4 if you are considering an Audi. 
I fully subscribe to Clarkson's theory.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 08 July 2009, 12:30 »
Well, in the end I went for the Golf. The S3 was lovely, but with the discount I got on the Golf, it ended up over £2.5 cheaper than the S3 with the same spec....got my final couple of weeks with my mk 5 GTI...will be sad to see it go...still feels as good as it did when it was new 4 1/2 years ago...but looking forward to the new one  :smiley:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 08 July 2009, 16:38 »
Well, in the end I went for the Golf. The S3 was lovely, but with the discount I got on the Golf, it ended up over £2.5 cheaper than the S3 with the same spec....got my final couple of weeks with my mk 5 GTI...will be sad to see it go...still feels as good as it did when it was new 4 1/2 years ago...but looking forward to the new one  :smiley:

Good choice!!  :grin:

Offline adw555

• Here all the time

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 09 July 2009, 13:04 »
The current S3 looks awesome - until you get to the rear, which looks plain and ugly IMO.