Author Topic: '86 mk2 gti handbrake problem (failed mot:()  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Dibz

• Not said much yet
'86 mk2 gti handbrake problem (failed mot:()
« on: 04 August 2007, 21:22 »
Went for the dreaded MOT the other day, and failed thanks to:
"Nearside rear handbrake recording little or no effort" and
"parking brake efficiency below requirements"

Now as the n/s rear disc is slightly rusty, I was thinking that the caliper is maybe seized (i was thinking this would be the thing that it would fail on, but I've got away with just an advisory) but as the cars only failed on the handbrake its ok (?) can I just fit a pair of new handbrake cables for the retest?
I'm hoping I dont have to spend out on new rear discs and calipers this month.

The cars an '86 8v 1.8 Golf GTI.

Offline porsche

• Not said much yet
  • 1989 Mk2 8V GTI & Porsche 911 Carrera
Re: '86 mk2 gti handbrake problem (failed mot:()
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2007, 21:52 »
I had the same problem with my Mk2,The cables were ok on mine i just had to free off the pivot arm (hammer & WD40)  undo the cable & spring then keep working it up & down untill it moves free.I also changed the rear pads at the same time & used copperslip on any moving parts.
Passed the MOT 1st time!  :smiley:

Offline Dibz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2007, 01:02 »
The disc gets hot after a run so the caliper is working.
The handbrake has a lot of clicks and will hardly hold the car if I let it freewheel down a hill. so either the cables are shot and/or the mechanism is sticking, so I'll try freeing it up and replacing the cables and pads.
If it won't free up then I'll have to buy a new caliper as well.

Offline Stibbs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2007, 18:05 »
Did you get an advisory for the caliper binding slightly? cause that would still heat up the disc.

Offline Dibz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2007, 21:21 »
Had a look earlier, it appears that the cables are stuck and stretched , Ive took off the spring and took the bolt out  and got the mechanism moving, so I'm sure its not seized. Getting a pair of handbrake cables and going to fit them, just hope the old cables come out as i think they may be rather stuck fast!

Now I've just got to sort out two lil' bits of welding and the number plate lights and its retest time!

Only thing is my number plate light screws are rusted tight, I've started to turn one and I've heard rusty metal cracking and flaking! Looks like I'm gonna need a panel welded in there, and i bet its water that's stoped the lights from working!