Author Topic: Project Zippy (Midas Mk1 Coupe) Engine In!  (Read 62723 times)

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
Re: Project Zippy (Midas Mk1 Coupe)
« Reply #260 on: 30 May 2016, 18:22 »
Looking good and a major step forward. Well done.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #261 on: 30 May 2016, 20:21 »
Thats top work buddy. Obvously cant say how good the paint is but on picture its definately good enough for a diy job.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #262 on: 04 June 2016, 21:35 »
Thanks to all for your kind words. If I am being honest and my own harshest critic, it's definitely a "10ft paint job" but for a first effort in a single garage. it'll do for me.

Typically, I set aside a really nice day to put what I hoped were the final coats on the bonnet and doors, and after 3 light coats (not enough as some of the primer is still showing through), I ran out of paint... I will get some more and finish them off but it's still frustrating.

So, in an effort to "turn a frown upside down", I decided that it was time to bolt a couple of bits on to the shell. Why? BECAUSE I CAN NOW!! First up was the heat shield for the bulkhead. Given that the one that was on there when I bought the car looked like an old piece of carpet which had been stuck on with silicon sealant, I thought something a little more suitable would be required. After some advice from a Midas forum member (thanks Roy!) I picked up some adhesive heat shielding from Europa Spares and after cutting it to shape, I gently laid it on. I did get one crease in it (which looks far worse in the picture than it actually is) but it won't be seen much and once this stuff is on, it does NOT want to come off...

I followed this up with my captive bolts for the pedal box. I had constructed this from the old cut-down bolts that held it in place originally and a broken disc shroud from the spares box. I hammered it flat, bent it to shape and welded the bolts on before painting it. It slid into place really easily and attaching the pedal box was simplicity itself from then on.

I was on a roll. My next thought turned to the brake master cylinder and the PWDA valve. I popped the master cylinder roughly into place and next up were the brake pipes from the cylinder to the valve. I'd bought these from Mini Spares rather than make my own as they're an odd size, so they came ready bent to shape. I fitted them to the valve first before offering the valve up to the bulkhead. The previous braking set-up was a mixture of single line and utterly knackered so this was all binned and replaced with dual-line. This meant that the PWDA valve needed a home on the bulkhead, and typically this was exactly where the throttle cable used to sit. Modifications are underway to alleviate this issue.

Finally, in went the bracket which the steady bar bolts to. Again this was a simple case of popping a couple of bolts through the bulkhead and connecting them up, albeit with a strangely contorted body upside down in the footwell in brutally hot sunshine. I will bolt some more stuff on soon!

Heat shield on. Ignore the crease - it looks a lot better in the flesh!

Captive bolt bracket for pedal box attached. Garage ingenuity made this!

Bracket for master cylinders. It's starting to come together...

Reconditioned "Yellow tag" m/c, PWDA valve, those nice looking pipes from Mini Spares and the steady bar bracket all in place and ready to go.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #263 on: 25 June 2016, 19:49 »
A couple of weeks ago, I finished off painting the doors and the bonnet. At least I did up to a point. I had got everything out of the garage and popped the bonnet and doors on three separate tables. All went swimmingly, until the last pass of the gun on the bonnet. I hadn't realised that I had not tightened the lid on the gun's container properly, and as I did the last pass with a flourish, 5 paint drips happily landed right in the centre of the bonnet. Oh goody. They say bad things come in threes. They do. I managed to knock one of the doors and chipped the edge. And as I was putting the stuff back in the garage I caught the side of the front wing with a metal box. This made me angry.

As it's always a good plan not to do things when you're angry, I left it a week or two before sanding everything down (AGAIN!) and then giving them a blow over this morning before the rains came down. The bonnet is much better, and the door and the wing will stand up to a 10-foot check. 3 bugs did land on the car though. However, there will be other bug splats in the future so they can stay there until the paint's dried properly!

Painted (hopefully for the last bleeping time!!) and lookin' good!

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #264 on: 25 June 2016, 20:55 »
Good progress. What made you go orange? Being a full respray you could have chose any colour.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #265 on: 26 June 2016, 22:10 »
Well,  it's only 11 ft long and quite low, so dirty white doesn't really stand out. I have always wanted an orange car and there aren't many about. Plus it looks great in orange!

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #266 on: 26 June 2016, 22:12 »
It does seem to show off the lines of the car in orange over white

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #267 on: 06 July 2016, 21:38 »
Managed to grab a couple of hours over the last couple of days. I need to get under and do the brake and fuel lines, but this can wait until I have the time to throw everything back out of the garage so I can get the car high up on stands. In the meantime, I painted the extended gear selector rods (mainly to stop them rusting) and then set about de-rusting a few brackets and bits. The door glass holders had a bit of surface rust, as did the gear selector bracket and the engine mount bracket.

I found my pot of Bilt-Hamber De-Ox gel and gave them a good coating having given them a wipe down with white spirit. After half an hour I gave them a good wire-brushing and most of the rust came off as sludge. This stuff is amazing. No pictures of the result as they look much the same, just with not much rust. I will give them a coat of paint in due course. I will also give the gear selector housing a new coat of silver - once I actually get some fresh paint...

Rods won't rust as easily now.

Brackets covered in De-Ox Gel.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #268 on: 09 July 2016, 15:46 »
Just a quick update - have finished off cleaning the brackets I de-rusted and have now given them a fresh coat of Rover Platinum Silver along with the gear selector housing. Looks a lot better than before.

Housing looks a lot more presentable.

Brackets are now worthy of going on to freshly painted car.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
« Reply #269 on: 11 July 2016, 18:37 »
Did a few little jobs yesterday, most of which I don't have pics for. I finished off the gear selector and bolted it all together with some fresh grease and it looks rather good.

One of the things I wasn't entirely happy with was the state of the flywheel bolt locktab when I put the engine together (I had made a mental note to change it but didn't get round to it). A new one was found in the darkest recesses of the spares box (I knew I had one somewhere!) and after some grunting and use of the big breaker bar, on it went. Staying with the engine I also chucked in the new set of manifold studs I had and also changed the thermostat housing, removing the sandwich plate that I am reliably informed will not fit under the bonnet without surgery. More soon.

Good looking gear selector housing now bracketed up and finished.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.