Author Topic: Mk2 Ozz - Project GTI  (Read 4261 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Mk2 Ozz - Project GTI
« on: 08 March 2006, 13:35 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Ozz

• I live here
Re: Mk2 Ozz - Project GTI
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2006, 19:45 »
Wow, 33 views before I've even written anything!!!

Well I boughtt my car off ebay for 180 quid, no Tax or MOT, never seen it before, just took a bit of a gamble! Had to trailer it down from Wolverhampton back to home (near Portsmouth).

Here she is on the way back, could see the potential even then!

Well, she made it home in one piece, unfortunately before I really got stuck into any work on her I went off to uni, so she sat rather sadly on the drive at home for about half a year, until my other golf (black mk2 gl) decided to break down, and I opted to take my gti up to uni with me and at least get her into daily driver state!

Didnt have time to MOT her before leaving home as could only come down for weekends, so one saturday booked her into an MOT in Bath and set off, with a very dodgy looking hole in the radiator, but everything else seemingly fine. 5 mins down the road had to pull over with coolant gushing everywhere, call the AA and after a LOT of pleading and grovelling managed to pursuade them to lift the car all the way to Bath, about 1 3/4 hours away, instead of the 5 mins back home!!

So she arrived outside my uni halls on the back of an AA van, still no MOT but at least she was now where I could start work on her.

Had to replace both fuel and lift pumps, and then when she went for MOT she failed on worn anti roll bar bushes and a persihed brake flexi hose. Fixed these and she became my daily driver.
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline Ozz

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2006, 22:56 »
So did all the 2005 shows with her looking like this:

Pic taken at BVF

But all I'd done to her was take bits off my old golf, (some of which had been transferred from my golf before that!) so was gradually getting more and more tired of it all. I do love the above pic, and think the wheels are gorgeous, but fancied embarking on something a bit different!

So the wheels went  :cry: and she was reduced to wearing some black steelies (expertly sprayed by myself!).

My original plans for the gti had been to go for the stripped out racer look, but as she had turned into my daily driver, this was not so practical, as I'm forever having to give mates lifts etc so need back seats. However I thought I could come to a compromise, and have a bit of a racy feel with a bit of luxury in it too. Wit hthis in mind I picked up a pair of Reclining Cobras, and oh my god they were possibly the comfiest seats ever, could do such long journeys with no aches at all!!

I also started searching out bits and bobs, having saved up a bit of money over summer I went a bit at the end of it, spanking about a grand on bits and bobs. This included a set of FK Konigsports, a bargain from germany at only £350 delivered, with a couple of months use on them!! Also got a nice sub and amp, and sold the ridiculously large system that I did have weighing down my car and deafening me when I turned it up!!

Old sound system

Unfortunately due to a hectic course schedule at uni, I had very little time to actually do anything to my car, so have just been gathering parts whenever I could spare the money, and sometimes when I couldnt!!

Pic of my car at christmas, with her black steelies on:

« Last Edit: 09 March 2006, 23:47 by Mk2 Ozz »
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline Ozz

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2006, 23:13 »
Ok so still short on time and have achieved NOTHING other than gathering even more parts!!

However my pile of parts is now getting ridiculous! Unfortunately the shopping got out of hand and the cobras had to go to finance other purchases, think its going to be a decision I will greatly regret  :sad:

Mods to do list now reads:

Fit sub, amp and components
Finish smoothing spare small bumpers
Finish modified airbox
Fit FK coilovers
Get panels sprayed : Vented wing, doors with audi door handles, tailgate with flushed plinth
Fit said panels
Fit corrado interior
Fit central locking
Fit mk3 dash
Strip and rebuild spare gti engine

Should keep me busy for a while!!! Still on the shopping list are g60 arches and leccy windows, then start saving for a full respray!!No new pics as, well, nothings really changed! Except that at present the interior of my car currently consists of one very tatty old gti seat!!
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline Ozz

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2006, 23:17 »
Oh yeh, almost forgot, bought a set of 5 schmidt revolutions, tatty, perfect for a refurb, so put that on the to do list too!!!
Mk2 Gti 8v