Author Topic: antogoof`s 1991 mk2 8v  (Read 43355 times)

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
Re: antogoof`s 1991 mk2 8v
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2009, 23:54 »
i think it was a member called benj? on there. i would like to find more out about it if poss....

im going to have to go to a charity shop for a tape!!!! :smiley:

i only figured out where the engine came from after noticing that in the advert for the car there was a spelling mistake, (-Kobelschmit forged pistons) is spelled wrong.

copy and paste into google and it brings up an old build thread..............try it.  :wink:

mk2 bright blue met bits wanted in north west.

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2009, 00:00 »
Kolbenschmidt is the correct spelling. :smiley:

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2009, 00:00 »
god i have too much time on my hands! :laugh:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2009, 00:18 »
Yeah I've met him at a RR day in his 20v Turbo.

Nick

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2009, 21:05 »

found one! i bought this for my old golf but forgot i had it so i changed the linkage arms and now all the gears are sweet.

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2009, 21:07 »

bought this yesterday, put it in today and its running sweet, then i attempted the brakes.............

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2009, 21:24 »

drivers side front, really worn disc, this had to go but i had a problem, when i took the caliper off the pads were not too bad but i had replacements anyway.

had to drill the screw out as it would not turn and i dont have an impact driver.

stuck the hew disc on and the pads, then i tried to push the piston back.....

no chance it went back a bit enough to get the old pads back on but with the new disce it was a mile off.

so thats how it ended up on the drivers side front, i had the other 3 to do yet. not happy. :angry:

went to the other side and tried to get the caliper off, the bottom allen key was spot on.

the top one was an abortion, it was rounded and i had no way of getting it out so i tried this:

with this:

and ended up with this:

then i tried turning it and it just snapped off so i tried an allen key:

that bent as soon as i got some leverage on it and then snapped off again.

so i was stuck and i left it, stuck the wheel back on and gave up.

i did a few other bits, the seat needed a new plastic runner and the paacel shelf needed fixing, but im worried about that bolt.

i am going to refurb the calipers as well as some of the rubbers are shot and i dont need the brakes to fail!

i need some help with finding out where i would get a set of seals for the calipers and any advice on that bolt is very welcomed. :smiley:

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2009, 21:28 »
ignore that bolloxed cv gaitor as well im going to change that. :rolleyes:

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #38 on: 26 May 2009, 20:11 »
well got em done, managed to somehow get the discs and pads off by just finding enough leway with the bottom bolt of the caliper out, then because the seals were shot the caliper slid straight off the top bolt while still leaving the slider on the bolt.

overall it was a b!tch but then got some heat on the bolt and it came out no prob with a vice grip.

had to take the drivers side caliper apart and tidy the piston up with emery paper and scotchbrite and them put it back together with the OLD seals, but i had to replace them discs and pads they were really sh!t.

other than that not much else has happened apart from i washed it and the wheels have come up minty mint!

will get some pics up soon got a stereo, some speakers and some bottom arms coming from fleabay, but my missus has warned me to stop spending money now or she is going to kill me.............................so im getting more goodies on friday he he! :grin:

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #39 on: 26 May 2009, 20:13 »
oh and any advice on where i can get a seal set for mk2 golf gti ATE calipers, would be very welcomed. :smiley: