Author Topic: Custom fuel tank mod anyone ???.R32 style centre twin pipe  (Read 2759 times)

Offline gasketface

• I live here
Hi.

I recently bought an unfinished project that has had major body mods structural and non structural.

My main issue is that the guy had planned to fit a straight through exhaust R32 style and end up with a twin pipe with silencer right where the fuel tank was.

I would like to carry on with that plan so i need to sort out some sort of fuel tank system that will give me at least 3/4 of it's original with working fuel gauge.

The boot floor/wheel well has all been cut out as has the fuel pump cover area.It's all been plated and smoothed,battery in boot sort of thing (i'm keeping it under the bonnet).

I don't really want a fuel tank in the boot because of the higher centre of gravity and i would like to use the boot on occasion.

I was toying with the idea of using two tanks that hang either side of the back box and somehow interconnect to balance.

Obviously all this has to be safe and leagl for mot.

I am a bit stumped with this,i am looking at this being done to a high standard but i dont want to throw silly money at it.

Suggestions and any links to someone selling exactly what i want in stainless steel for a fiver inc p+p will be welcomed  :whistle:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Custom fuel tank mod anyone ???.R32 style centre twin pipe
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2017, 23:15 »
S3 fuel tank design. Or r32 as its probally the same tank. They have 2 tanks basically and the lift pu p also sucks fuel via a hose from the other side. The sender reads the one side.
The a4 quattros have 2 senders so the fuel gauge is accurate. So maybe Thats a better deaign to try and get a a4 tank in there. That does hower have 4 compartments for fuel and again are fed into the main one to supply fuel to engine.
Just my thoughts on how you could do it.

Or normal fuel tank and have the exhaust go around it so it would be tips and 90degree bend straight away to the pas side then to the normal exhaust routing. If theres room

Offline gareth_iowc

• Not said much yet
 :undecided: