Author Topic: Other cars with GTI engine  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
Other cars with GTI engine
« on: 25 June 2019, 22:20 »
My elderly father finds getting in and out of my Golf increasingly difficult, so I'm thinking of changing.

Although I'm not a fan it might be time for an SUV, so are there any other cars which use the same engine and ideally the electronically activated mechanical limited-slip diff and uprated brakes?

Online Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Other cars with GTI engine
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2019, 22:27 »
Any SUV I can think of with the same or more power than the GTi will almost certainly be four wheel drive.

Closest SUV's I can think of would be Audi SQ2, T-Roc R, Cupra Ateca. Tiguan R Line Tech is also available but don't think that has any mechanical upgrades beyond 4motion.
7.5 GTD

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2019, 22:34 »
I'm not sure how many (if any) SUVs will have the same engine as a GTI. Options you could look at include T-Roc R-line which I think comes with a 2.0 190 bhp engine. There is an SQ2 but that has a similar engine to the Golf R. Or XC40 T4 or T5. What you will find with SUVs is that they are more thirsty than the equivalent powered hatch - depends how many miles you do as to whether that is a big issue. If you can hang on a bit I believe there is a 'jacked up' version of the new A3 coming out - somewhere between the standard hatch and Q2 in height. The new V40 is also rumoured be an 'SUV type' though likely to be a bit lower than the XC40.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2019, 06:27 »
My elderly father finds getting in and out of my Golf increasingly difficult, so I'm thinking of changing.

Although I'm not a fan it might be time for an SUV, so are there any other cars which use the same engine and ideally the electronically activated mechanical limited-slip diff and uprated brakes?

Not many options but there is one car that has the same engine, diff and brakes.. Octavia vRS 245. In both estate and hatch.

https://www.evo.co.uk/skoda/octavia-vrs/19473/skoda-octavia-vrs-245-review-the-hottest-octavia-gets-hotter

IF you’re reluctant for an SUV, then another car that uses a similar engine is the 2017 A4 TFSI 252 Quattro but with 4wd, it’s quicker off the mark from the current GTI P. You’ll find a nice one for about the £22-24k mark.

Other than that, depending on your budget which you haven’t stated, as mentioned above you could consider new Cupra Alteca which is about £30k used or the T-Roc R when it’s available. A mate of mine has a 2015 SQ5 which are great with the powerful diesel but older inside tech wise however they still  hold their money well.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2019, 10:34 »
If your budget can stretch the Porsche Macan is available with the ea 888.3 in 250bhp guise. I have driven one a few times and although it doesn't have the same go as the golf, owing to extra weight and four wheel drive, it goes well enough and is well appointed inside. MPG isn't too bad, but once again not quite as good as the GTI.

2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2019, 11:27 »
A mate has one of those. I tell him it looks like a Kia Sportage  :laugh:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2019, 11:31 »
I always thought a Macan was a bird.....

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2019, 13:12 »
Cupra Ateca  is nice, a little quicker than a GTI. Seem to be some good deals on them too
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2019, 13:39 »
Cupra Ateca  is nice, a little quicker than a GTI. Seem to be some good deals on them too

Seat/Cupra need to sort their marketing out. If you try and configure a Cupra Leon ST, you get an image of the car with a Seat badge on the bonnet/boot.... The Ateca looks to have it right, to be fair. It ain't quite Toyota/Lexus (yet).

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2019, 14:20 »

Seat/Cupra need to sort their marketing out. If you try and configure a Cupra Leon ST, you get an image of the car with a Seat badge on the bonnet/boot.... The Ateca looks to have it right, to be fair. It ain't quite Toyota/Lexus (yet).

The current Cupra does have a Seat badge, doesn't it?

The next iteration won't