Author Topic: Choices  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Choices
« on: 17 January 2019, 10:33 »
Well my order is now locked and loaded - no going back now.

Is it just me or is it actually quite traumatic with all the choices on things such as colour and wheels to pick (a) what you like at the time and (b) what you think you'll still like in a couple of years?

It's infinitely easier buying used where you just buy the first car that's in good nick and ticks 9 out of ten of your boxes.  When you can tick 10/10 (providing you have the funds) it's still impossibly difficult to get right without having second thoughts.

As per other threads, I've gone with Isaac Blue and Brescias.  Had doubts about the wheels riding hard without the DCC but others on here have provided some reassurance.  I then had doubts about the Isaac Blue - it's an odd one as it looks awesome in some online photos, like a wet-look gunmetal grey but in others it looks a dreary and uninspiring light greyish/blue.  I'm hoping it's the former!  So tricky buying from an online configurator with no Golf's at the dealer in the colours I was interested in.  Hard to tell by looking at Tiguan's in the same colour too! 

Oh well... it's a nice problem to have, I guess!  Curios to hear what Isaac owners think of their colour choice a few months in?  What's it like to clean?  Does it show water marks like black does or can you get away with some half-arsed drying like you can with a silver?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Choices
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2019, 11:07 »
Is it just me or is it actually quite traumatic with all the choices on things such as colour and wheels to pick (a) what you like at the time and (b) what you think you'll still like in a couple of years?
I hear what you're saying, it's a nightmare, but I also think the choice is also a good thing. It's how VW retain the Golf's all-round appeal. Each person has different needs and requriemtns, and the Golf caters for that perfectly.

Take the Hyundai i30n for example, not everything is standard, but at the same time it's just not available! I am bought into the idea of an i30, and i'd have one, but for a few things that the i30 can't offer me that a Golf can...

DSG/Auto box.
Decent upgraded Hi-Fi
CarPlay
Adaptive Cruise
Adaptive Dampers
etc...

Not many people these days go in an buy a box-fresh basic Golf, so for me once the Koreans crack the part of the market that wants true all-round versatility (rather than just a hot hatch), then it will be a contender to the Golf, but until then there's nothing out there that offers the customisability.  :cool:

As per other threads, I've gone with Isaac Blue and Brescias.  Had doubts about the wheels riding hard without the DCC but others on here have provided some reassurance.  I then had doubts about the Isaac Blue - it's an odd one as it looks awesome in some online photos, like a wet-look gunmetal grey but in others it looks a dreary and uninspiring light greyish/blue.  I'm hoping it's the former!  So tricky buying from an online configurator with no Golf's at the dealer in the colours I was interested in.  Hard to tell by looking at Tiguan's in the same colour too! 

Oh well... it's a nice problem to have, I guess!  Curios to hear what Isaac owners think of their colour choice a few months in?  What's it like to clean?  Does it show water marks like black does or can you get away with some half-arsed drying like you can with a silver?
I ummmed and ahhhed over Isaac for ages, because I'd only seen one in the metal and I was ordering based on memory. My second choice was Indium, which is quite common so much easier to find. Every time I saw an Indium car I questioned if I should switch, but now my Isaac is finally here my god am I glad I stuck with it, it is just awesome!!! Depending on the light it changes its depth and shade. The blue pops incredibly under low and high sun level conditions. You're right however, the configurator really doesn't show the colour well. I also think it is quite a classy colour and contrasts really well with the red highlights.

I picked mine up yesterday from being fully detailed and ceramic coated, and my detailer said it's by far the nicest colour Golf he's seen in a very long time. He said it made a really nice change from all the usual grey/black/white he sees. the bottom pic I posted really shows off the cars colour... http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=284610.0
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2019, 11:08 »
Choice anxiety.

I agree with you in general, but for me the choices were dead simple, as red was my strong preference. And given I only drive manual trans, the model choice was made for me as here in Aus only the base GTI comes in a manual (at least it did when I ordered, now it's DSG only - no manuals).

I think you'll love the Isaac blue - it looks great in both cloudy conditions and sunlight.

I remember buying my first Golf in 1978. Apart from colour, the choices were 2 door or 4 door!
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 11:11 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2019, 13:49 »
I don't find colour an issue with a performance Golf... VW UK have chosen such a bland palette (50 shades of grey) its really quite hard to be enthusiastic or violently dislike any of them. About the most extreme it gets is solid red, which is hardly exotic but some people don't like the idea that their car shouts "sporty".

As for the Hyundai i30n... the lack of automatic cruise control (it has manual cruise control) is linked to the lack of the auto box. Only VAG have ACC on a manual gearbox.... nobody else does. DCT/DSG is going to be released for it this year though apparently (https://uk.motor1.com/news/237124/hyundai-i30-n-dct/)

PS it does have AppleCarPlay and Andoid Auto though
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2019, 17:05 »
As Fred says, there isn't enough choice of colour to pick wrongly. As for spec, both have mine have been 'no option' cars other than metallic. Do I wish I had any additional options? Not really, the GTI is well kitted out and for me its more the fun aspect of how it drives.

My previous Merc C Class had pan roof and camera. Not once had an issue reversing such a small hatchback car as the Golf but do miss having a roof open although describing it panoramic in the Golf could be challenged under the trade descriptions act (if that still exists!). Certainly wouldn't spend £1k of my own money on it.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2019, 17:48 »
I’ve had a reversing camera and heated screen for 9 years, couldn’t do without so they went on and love Grey gunmetal cars, so Indium Grey it was with tints B post rearward. IMO looks the dogs with the red detailing and red GTI callipers :cool:
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2019, 19:50 »
Too many choices, too many options, too much tech.
Car makers should go back to offering any colour you want.. so long as it’s black!
I agree none of the colours are offensive, nor do any really stand out.
I was all set to go for indium, before seeing an Isaac car at the local dealer- you won’t regret it, it’s a very nice colour.
Slightly more exclusive too- only gte/d/i.
As for keeping it clean, you can forget it in this weather!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2019, 20:12 »
The i30n has got adaptive dampers according to what I've read tonight. At least the new fastback version has.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2019, 20:43 »
It needs them. It’s so firm. I couldn’t use it as a daily.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2019, 21:27 »
Oh colour,colour,colour!!!!

Wanted white and dealer sorted me out a white silver GTD,an Oryx GTI and a pure white GTI to view....

Simply choice in the end.... we purchased INDIUM GREY   :grin:
« Last Edit: 18 January 2019, 01:08 by boardlord »
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.