Author Topic: Mk3 Security - Newbie advice sought.  (Read 7682 times)

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Mk3 Security - Newbie advice sought.
« on: 05 January 2019, 08:57 »
Hi all.  First post.  (Well second after saying hi in newbie forum)

I finally got me a VR6.  I want to keep it and realise old cars are too easy to steal.  Whats the best options I have to combat this. 

It came with a full closure alarm/imobiliser.  Its pretty cool and shuts all windows and sun roof and locks all doors.  But cool and good are not the same. 

I don't have a garage.  Live in an ok area.

In the past I have owned an RS Turbo and that had this permanent gear stick lock drilled through the chassis professionally.  Are these any good?   Someone mentioned getting a fuel pump switch that I guess breaks the circuit the same as taking the fust out.  Switch would be hidden.  This a good option? 

How about trackers / GPS.  Seem bloody expensive.  Be cheaper to bung an iPhone 4 in there with Find my fiends active.  Or am I missing the point. 

Any advise appreciated. 
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
Re: Mk3 Security - Newbie advice sought.
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2019, 21:07 »
If your alarm is decent and has immobiliser then maybe just add a disklock?

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2019, 22:01 »
Hi mate.  Cant belive you said that.  I just got a Disclock this afternoon fro Halford.  Silver one :)
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2019, 22:26 »
Id love to know how someone can pinch a mk3 as it already has a chip in it.It cannot be bypassed.Only way it can be nicked is if they tow it away  :whistle:

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2019, 18:39 »
Hi mate. Not sure how old you are but in the 90s anything and everything could be nicked seemingly so im not so confident.  I honestly think a multiple prong attack is best way. IE no one thing.  At mo I have that disklock and the VW total closure system that I have no idea if its any good or not.  Another great defence is a garage.  Out of site out of mind.  How I would love a Mul T Lock.

People dont seem to p[inch cars as much these days.  Like I say it was an epidemic in the 90s.  Thank god for Playstations and facebook and social media sh!te.  Made everyone housebound.  yeeeey

When you say a chip, what exactly do you mean?  An immobiliser

Offline noms

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2019, 22:00 »
In the days of my gorgeous mk3, I had an aftermarket Alarm & Immobiliser fitted to compliment the existing immobiliser.
It was made by Cobra and was a cat 1 alarm.
I had the car for 10 years, and there was no way anyone was stealing that baby. I also fitted armoured door plates fitted so prevent pry-ins (https://www.candrenterprises.co.uk/shop/armour-door-plates/).
I believe Cobra are now part of Vodafone Automotive, and this alarm was literally 'fit & forget'. Worked like a dream, total closure at the touch of a button, and never let me down, ever.
Watches, Women and VW's... The 3 best things in life.