Author Topic: Buying on PCP  (Read 10548 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Buying on PCP
« Reply #30 on: 21 October 2018, 15:13 »
Exonian:

For the new one, I gave my deposit over yesterday and the dealership tried to place the order with VW UK. Apparently order books will be open again at the end of this month (WLTP cerification completion then, i'm assuming).

VW aren't giving any deposit contributions for the GTI/GTI+ but are for other Polos, so current broker offerings are topping out at 12.5% off list. VW seem confident for residuals as GFV is 50% at 3 years.

Wait times for some are ridiculous, There are people on the Polo forum that ordered a GTI/+ in Feb and still don't have a build date, but are expected to built end of Nov when WLTP compliance is ironed out. Then it takes 4-5 weeks shipping from South Africa (time enough for the  paint to cure!), time between UK port and dealership - they'll have waited a year. I got mine (1st and current) in Aug from unallocated stock the dealership had ordeeed (or perhaps a cancelled order?) after putting down a deposit on it in May - 2 weeks before it was built.

For this new one I just requested, being quoted fir about 25-30 weeks. Maybe I can jump on a cancelled order if someone pulls the plug on theirs and get it quicker, but I don't want it before March 1st on 19 plate.

Thanks for all the info MH :afro:
Much appreciated.

I just couldn’t handle a huge wait for a VW again. I’d have changed my mind on whether I actually wanted the actual car, the colour, the spec about two dozen times in six months!
Unless a car is ultra rare or extremely special I’d much rather compromise on spec and buy an in stock car.

The current wait times are dreadful across the marketplace and I sympathise massively with those that have to order a new car right now rather than just want to.
The flip side being late model used residuals are very very strong right now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #31 on: 21 October 2018, 16:19 »
Exonian:

For the new one, I gave my deposit over yesterday and the dealership tried to place the order with VW UK. Apparently order books will be open again at the end of this month (WLTP cerification completion then, i'm assuming).

VW aren't giving any deposit contributions for the GTI/GTI+ but are for other Polos, so current broker offerings are topping out at 12.5% off list. VW seem confident for residuals as GFV is 50% at 3 years.

Wait times for some are ridiculous, There are people on the Polo forum that ordered a GTI/+ in Feb and still don't have a build date, but are expected to built end of Nov when WLTP compliance is ironed out. Then it takes 4-5 weeks shipping from South Africa (time enough for the  paint to cure!), time between UK port and dealership - they'll have waited a year. I got mine (1st and current) in Aug from unallocated stock the dealership had ordeeed (or perhaps a cancelled order?) after putting down a deposit on it in May - 2 weeks before it was built.

For this new one I just requested, being quoted fir about 25-30 weeks. Maybe I can jump on a cancelled order if someone pulls the plug on theirs and get it quicker, but I don't want it before March 1st on 19 plate.

Thanks for all the info MH :afro:
Much appreciated.

I just couldn’t handle a huge wait for a VW again. I’d have changed my mind on whether I actually wanted the actual car, the colour, the spec about two dozen times in six months!
Unless a car is ultra rare or extremely special I’d much rather compromise on spec and buy an in stock car.

The current wait times are dreadful across the marketplace and I sympathise massively with those that have to order a new car right now rather than just want to.
The flip side being late model used residuals are very very strong right now.
You are in the enviable position of owning a barely driven Clubsport.
No need to change that baby for a long, long time in my opinion  :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 21 October 2018, 16:28 »

You are in the enviable position of owning a barely driven Clubsport.
No need to change that baby for a long, long time in my opinion  :smiley:

I will shortly be having to commute a rural route in it very soon. The miles will start piling on and it seems a shame for such a car.
But you’re right. It is very unlikely to be going anywhere soon. I’m not sure I could part with it if push came to shove. But I like to keep options open, it’s just a car at the end of the day, albeit a very very pampered one!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline WD-40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 22 October 2018, 10:32 »
The Clubsport is made for piling on miles on rural roads!

Mine's on 22k in 18 months and ticking over 60 miles a day...
Current:
2018 BMW M2
2002 Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4

Ex:
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #645, MG Midget, Audi S4 Avant, Mercedes-AMG C63, Porsche Cayman S Sport, BMW Z4MR, Honda S2000, Alfa Romeo GTV, Peugeot 106 Rallye, Austin Mini E amongst others

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 26 October 2018, 15:05 »
The Clubsport is made for piling on miles on rural roads!

Mine's on 22k in 18 months and ticking over 60 miles a day...

*cough* 4K in 18 months with 600 of those being in someone else’s hands for its first six weeks of life!  :whistle:

My commute is all 40mph, 30mph and even a half mile stretch of 20mph rural lanes.
There’s one section of 60 limit but chances are you’re stuck behind some old bat doing 40 or less  :rolleyes:
with nowhere to overtake as it’s too winding. You can barely get past a solo pushbike never mind a group of Lycra clad fair weather wannabe midlife crisis road racers in groups.
And then there’s caravan season... :cry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 28 October 2018, 10:04 »
Depends what you define as "nearly new". For people who'll keep a car for 7 years, 2.5 years old is "nearly new", for others it'll be a pre-registered car with no more than a few thousand miles on the clock.

Most people on this forum buy new and are ready to ditch about 2.5 to 3 years old and get on another PCP.

My experience with performance VWs (i'm on my 9th VAG car) is that 13-15% discount without generous deposit contributions (a very recent VW incentive, never before seen it on performance models until about 3.5 years ago), and maybe 20% with deposit contributions. Compare that to a year old model that VW have up for 85% of RRP on their used forecourt with few or no incentives, 50% higher APR rates than new cars get and many will struggle to see any plus points in getting the used one.

Go for a 2.5 year old GTI/GTD/R for 60-75% of RRP, shortly needing some new brake pads, discs or tyres, a short warranty and about to need the annual MOT for the same monthlies or only a little less - i'd rather be getting new.

The way performance VWs hold their value it doesn't make much sense in most circumstances to get a nearly new one, but for other marques with horrific depreciation, it makes little sense to buy new, when an 18 month old example will still have a big wedge of warranty remaining for half the RRP.....................

Great post as usual MH
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 30 October 2018, 21:56 »
As an another option. My Mk7.5 Performance DSG sets me back £204 a month. No deposit. No depreciation. No running costs. Just my fuel.

And it arrived in 7 days in June. Happy days  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 10 November 2018, 12:08 »
I took the PCP then withdrew after 3 days, paid off the whole sum and still kept VWs £1k.
This was a process suggested by my dealer when I made the deal.

I also used CarWow to find the best prices then took them to my regular dealer and told them they could have the sale if they could beat the lowest, which they did.
I also told them what I wanted for my trade-in and they were happy to accept it.

By following advice I gleaned from this forum I saved over £4k.

Your quite right to do your homework on every aspect of a new purchase.

When talking suppliers these are my tips.
1) dictate all discussions and only speak with the most experienced member of staff.
2) remember its your money and you choose you spend it, dont be a sheep and get fleeced
3) know the product so you dont waste time looking (being seduced) at the showroom cars
4) all added extras eg; mats etc can be given to you by the dealer as sweeteners so ensure you get them NB Golfs come with plain carpet, all mats are extras.
5) at the end and before you sign say "oh and you will be fitting a FREE a dash cam - as its Christmas".

Hope this helps.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 10 November 2018, 14:50 »
Golf GTi's, Gtd's and R's all come with carpets mats as standard.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 10 November 2018, 15:22 »
How will I know who the most experienced member of staff is? Should I ask to see all their CV's?  :wink:
7.5 GTD