Author Topic: Buying on PCP  (Read 10506 times)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Re: Buying on PCP
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2018, 21:45 »
Ah, ok.  I can see that deal on DTD.  Ta
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2018, 21:58 »
It sounds like you have enough money now and incoming that PCP might not really be for you. Why not use the deposit to buy outright with a bank loan with lower APR to cover the difference? When your windfall comes your way you can then pay off the bank loan right away with no penalties.

Also think carefully if that new car smell is worth the extra cash. Depending on what you're coming from, a nearly new from a dealer would save you a fair amount of money for very little difference in car. From my experience buying a 16 plate GTI PP this year, the whole thing felt exactly the same (actually, better) as when I bought a new TDI 4 years ago - but with far less waiting around.

Depends what you define as "nearly new". For people who'll keep a car for 7 years, 2.5 years old is "nearly new", for others it'll be a pre-registered car with no more than a few thousand miles on the clock.

Most people on this forum buy new and are ready to ditch about 2.5 to 3 years old and get on another PCP.

My experience with performance VWs (i'm on my 9th VAG car) is that 13-15% discount without generous deposit contributions (a very recent VW incentive, never before seen it on performance models until about 3.5 years ago), and maybe 20% with deposit contributions. Compare that to a year old model that VW have up for 85% of RRP on their used forecourt with few or no incentives, 50% higher APR rates than new cars get and many will struggle to see any plus points in getting the used one.

Go for a 2.5 year old GTI/GTD/R for 60-75% of RRP, shortly needing some new brake pads, discs or tyres, a short warranty and about to need the annual MOT for the same monthlies or only a little less - i'd rather be getting new.

The way performance VWs hold their value it doesn't make much sense in most circumstances to get a nearly new one, but for other marques with horrific depreciation, it makes little sense to buy new, when an 18 month old example will still have a big wedge of warranty remaining for half the RRP.

If you do want a cheap bank loan, the best way to replicate PCP terms with APR% savings is to take out a 5 year loan with the intention of settling up at 3 years to start again if you change your car every 3 years. What's left to pay at 36 months will amount to a low balloon payment, ensuring that you will be in positve equity vs what it's worth in p/x.

Dealerships receiving a  car beyond 2 years into a PCP will usually guarantee to get you out of negative equity with their p/x offer. It is in their interest to offer you something as a hook into the next car rather than you having your options wide open to walk away at 3 years because there's no positive equity to make you want to stay.

In the past, I have generally seen around 10% over the GFV when trading in, when I was PCPing. To know if you're being offered a poor deal, aim to get around 85% of the sticker price for pretty much the same car (same age, trim level, mileage) on their used forecourt - they will always want to make money on your p/x as well as the new car!

Offloading the wife's Audi A1 recently, I found Autotrader a complete waste of £50. I was selling her car with lots of options that the competition didn't have, and half the mileage of most of the pack and certainly the lowest by 10k miles for A1s of the same age and engine, and was the cheapest by £500, I had an extended warranty that no-one else had, and I got no bites. No-one has money of their own to buy a car with at the moment it seems - they all go to the dealership, so I wouldn't buuy a car thinking that i'm going to get £2k more selling privately than take the p/x.

In the end the local Audi dealership took it for £800 less than my Autotrader price. Figure in that someone is going to want to chipyou down by £500 or more and it ended up being a fools errand.

My R has held up well in price. I have just agreed to p/x it against a new Polo GTI+ (this will be our second), and at 3.5 years old, the p/x value is coming in at £17.5k, with a £300 depreciation for every month thereafter until the Polo arrives. I paid £28k for that car, so for me to be offered 62.5% of what I paid for it new at 3.5 years is by far the lowest % depreciation I have ever experienced on a new VW. It would be on their forecourt for £21-22k right now, no way I would pay 3/4 of broker price for a new one to get a 3.5 year old example, but clearly someone would buy it at that price for it to be selling for that price.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2018, 22:07 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2018, 22:58 »
What you doing with your dash cam cabling Matt? Removing everything or leaving cables in and just replacing the cables?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 18 October 2018, 05:45 »

My R has held up well in price. I have just agreed to p/x it against a new Polo GTI+ (this will be our second), and at 3.5 years old, the p/x value is coming in at £17.5k, with a £300 depreciation for every month thereafter until the Polo arrives. I paid £28k for that car, so for me to be offered 62.5% of what I paid for it new at 3.5 years is by far the lowest % depreciation I have ever experienced on a new VW. It would be on their forecourt for £21-22k right now, no way I would pay 3/4 of broker price for a new one to get a 3.5 year old example, but clearly someone would buy it at that price for it to be selling for that price.

What are the discounts and wait times of the Polo GTI+ like MH?

My Ed40 is still booking at nearly £26k and it’s barely ever used. It might be time to give Golf ownership a rest and try a new project, I’m so impressed with my son’s MQB IBIZA FR that getting a GTI+ for a commuter car (I’m moving out into the sticks and it’s all 40mph B roads) and binning the Clubsport and Wife’s Mini.

@ the OP.
PCP Balloon figures or Guaranteed Minimum Future Value figures are calculated using trade guide forecasts to protect the investment in the car that the finance company has. It’s generally on the low side for the reasons stated by others here.
Some cars become very popular on the second hand market so end up being worth significantly more than the GMFV, most tend to be worth slightly more and a few are worth less. Speaking to salesmen in the past they reckon few people actually see out the full term of their PCP’s.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2018, 13:32 »
What you doing with your dash cam cabling Matt? Removing everything or leaving cables in and just replacing the cables?

I'll take it out when the time comes. Had the same dashcam type in the A1 and took it out to fit in the new Polo - fitted 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing about £40 for a new cable if you snip the ends and leave it in.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2018, 15:43 »
Exonian:

For the new one, I gave my deposit over yesterday and the dealership tried to place the order with VW UK. Apparently order books will be open again at the end of this month (WLTP cerification completion then, i'm assuming).

VW aren't giving any deposit contributions for the GTI/GTI+ but are for other Polos, so current broker offerings are topping out at 12.5% off list. VW seem confident for residuals as GFV is 50% at 3 years.

Wait times for some are ridiculous, There are people on the Polo forum that ordered a GTI/+ in Feb and still don't have a build date, but are expected to built end of Nov when WLTP compliance is ironed out. Then it takes 4-5 weeks shipping from South Africa (time enough for the  paint to cure!), time between UK port and dealership - they'll have waited a year. I got mine (1st and current) in Aug from unallocated stock the dealership had ordeeed (or perhaps a cancelled order?) after putting down a deposit on it in May - 2 weeks before it was built.

For this new one I just requested, being quoted fir about 25-30 weeks. Maybe I can jump on a cancelled order if someone pulls the plug on theirs and get it quicker, but I don't want it before March 1st on 19 plate.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2018, 10:12 »
It sounds like you have enough money now and incoming that PCP might not really be for you. Why not use the deposit to buy outright with a bank loan with lower APR to cover the difference? When your windfall comes your way you can then pay off the bank loan right away with no penalties.

Also think carefully if that new car smell is worth the extra cash. Depending on what you're coming from, a nearly new from a dealer would save you a fair amount of money for very little difference in car. From my experience buying a 16 plate GTI PP this year, the whole thing felt exactly the same (actually, better) as when I bought a new TDI 4 years ago - but with far less waiting around.

I found my current car using the following approach, look for anything old but with low mileage. So, after being patient I found a five year old mark6 GTI with 16,000 miles for £14,000 at a VW dealer.

Condition was acceptable for me, basically new and running costs over the past two years have been

Servicing = £0 via two years free servicing from VW
MOT = £0 same
Warranty = £0 same

Getting the previous generation is probably too old for 95% of people but works for me.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 20 October 2018, 06:28 »
Is there a time frame when you can pay the settlement figure? or is it a case the more days into the agreement the more days interest you will incur?
my situation is i pick up next week, say Wednesday and wont have the full funds available till the following week.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 20 October 2018, 07:00 »
Is there a time frame when you can pay the settlement figure? or is it a case the more days into the agreement the more days interest you will incur?
my situation is i pick up next week, say Wednesday and wont have the full funds available till the following week.

You will just pay interest per day. You have 14 days from the start of the finance agreement which is normally the day you pick it up to withdraw from the agreement.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 20 October 2018, 08:15 »

You will just pay interest per day. You have 14 days from the start of the finance agreement which is normally the day you pick it up to withdraw from the agreement.

Thanks makes sense, might delay them a couple of days next week just for breathing space.

Here's a funny one: when i dropped off the spoiler say 10am Friday was told that the car would be here in the next couple of days. Phone call 16:00hrs same day the spoiler has a slight colour match problem! confirmed with them to fit it. He instructed them to do so!!!!!

Looks like they have sort of STAR TREK beaming up device over at the dealerships that they've never told us about!
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.