Author Topic: Due To Worst Yeaer Of My Life, Unable To Get Car To 2nd Year Service  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
I'm a HGV driver and it's quite a common problem for us. Loads of people recommended me to see a chiropractor but I never went to see one. It took about 12-16 weeks for the pain to start to ease and now I'm not so bad, I'm back driving again but I'm very wary of how I get in and out of the truck etc.

It doesn't surprise me VW won't do anything, their customer service is truly awful. Find yourself a decent independent garage and don't bother giving VW anymore money.
Cheers mate.  I tore the muscles/tendonous sheet across the upper lumbar/lower thoracic area of my back from coughing too hard with flu last year that was similar to your recovery period, but took 9 months to fully go without a trace of twinges or pain.  But this time it feels worse after four months rather than better. I am going to to do MRI then service of car at a good garage after, once I know the facts of what I am dealing with. 

My main goal in life to get back to being fighting fit and healthy so I can live like a 41 year old not an 81 year old as I feel at present.  There's no point in having a car like a Golf R unless you can get out and enjoy driving it.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Sorry to hear your sad news Brenbo.

Being a fellow sciatica sufferer on and off for the past (nearly) 40 years or so - initially caused by a sporting injury, I feel your pain; no pun intended. I’ve experienced the numb legs and feet, shooting sharp pains in the lower back, muscle spasms and the inability to stand up from a sitting position, and having to go up and down the stairs on my backside! Stepping heavily off a high pavement while on holiday in New Zealand a few years ago set it off again, and that’s not good when you’re on a driving holiday and can’t sit in a car. The 26 hour flight home was painful experience! I get periodic recurrences, and this year it’s given me quite a lot of grief; I wanted/needed to machine polish my car, but haven’t been able to, as using the DA isn’t the best therapy for back problems!

Makes you realise how much you take good mobility for granted when you become a sciatica sufferer.

Back on the subject of the service plan; if you’re still unable to drive to the dealer’s in a month’s time, another option might be to get someone you trust (friend or relative) to take your car to the dealer for the second service. It shouldn’t be too expensive to get them added to your insurance for a day.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Sorry to hear your sad news Brenbo.

Being a fellow sciatica sufferer on and off for the past (nearly) 40 years or so - initially caused by a sporting injury, I feel your pain; no pun intended. I’ve experienced the numb legs and feet, shooting sharp pains in the lower back, muscle spasms and the inability to stand up from a sitting position, and having to go up and down the stairs on my backside! Stepping heavily off a high pavement while on holiday in New Zealand a few years ago set it off again, and that’s not good when you’re on a driving holiday and can’t sit in a car. The 26 hour flight home was painful experience! I get periodic recurrences, and this year it’s given me quite a lot of grief; I wanted/needed to machine polish my car, but haven’t been able to, as using the DA isn’t the best therapy for back problems!

Makes you realise how much you take good mobility for granted when you become a sciatica sufferer.

Back on the subject of the service plan; if you’re still unable to drive to the dealer’s in a month’s time, another option might be to get someone you trust (friend or relative) to take your car to the dealer for the second service. It shouldn’t be too expensive to get them added to your insurance for a day.

Its good to hear from others who have experienced a similar pain such as my sciatica, hope you recover well and soon mate, i wouldn't wish the pain from sciatica on anyone as it is the worst.  It's funny you mention about having to fly 26 hours with back pain/sciatica as I did something similar last year with the torn mid back pain I had from flu last year.  Of all places to go with a torn back we had Disney Florida booked up as a holiday just a week after I had flu and tore my back.  The flight of 10 hours on a plane with narrow seats was interesting and a delight.  An experience I don't want to go through again.  Also some of the rides at Disney lost their edge of fun when I was bracing myself for the shock.  Bad back or not I was not going to miss out on going to Disney Florida.

Anyway back to the subject as well.  My wife is on my insurance already, but she would rather not drive my car as she feels it is too powerful for her and fears damaging my pride and joy.  I may have to see what the MRI says and if it is something I am not going to make worse by driving, I may have to just dose up on the pain killers and drive to the garage for the service in the half term when I have time off on holiday to recouperate before and after.  It's dual carriageway all the way so I can dump it to a high gear and cruise most the way hopefully. 

You guys on this forum really are great and many thanks for the kind words.  It makes me glad to be part of this forum.  Now off to console my mother on the day which would have been her golden wedding anniversary.. Damn I love 2018   

Offline Tommyboy72

• Just got here
I have the gti not the R but find that putting it in eco mode really blunts the performance (obviously), would this be a fix to help your wife drive it?
Hope you can put this all behind soon.
Tom

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Have just contacted VW Exeter (my local dealer).  They say that as I am 40 miles away i cannot have my car collected, which is not a surprise to me with the distance. 

I bet they would if you were buying a new vehicle.....poor customer service in my opinion
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
I have the gti not the R but find that putting it in eco mode really blunts the performance (obviously), would this be a fix to help your wife drive it?
Hope you can put this all behind soon.
Tom
I have suggested eco mode as an option to my wife.  I also feel the dealer may have a different outlook if was buying a new vehicle this year.  However with the way things are going on the pain stakes I may just book a service sooner rather later and take my mother/other party along with me so If I need to swap over and get them to drive due to pain then I can. I may also give the cruise control a whirl for the first time ever. 

Cheers for all your kind words of support, I just hope the MRI scan shows something obvious so I can get a plan of action and start the road to recovery.  As yesterday morning I got full leg cramp from buttock to heel.  Could not stand, walk lay down or sit, just had to let it go on it's own.  All I could do yesterday was look at my car through the window.  Looking forward to 2019 right now, as I may be on road to recovery and the it's another year closer to the Golf Mk8's being released, that should cheer me up.  :wink:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Really really sorry to hear your dreadful news and godawful year Brenbo.
I’m lost for words.  :sad:

If there’s any way I can help drop me a message.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
My wife is on my insurance already, but she would rather not drive my car as she feels it is too powerful for her and fears damaging my pride and joy.

Now this I never understand. It need only go as fast as she makes it go.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
My wife is on my insurance already, but she would rather not drive my car as she feels it is too powerful for her and fears damaging my pride and joy.

Now this I never understand. It need only go as fast as she makes it go.
No sexism intended, I think it is wife logic. 

@ Exonian I have an MRI scan on Friday and once I get my results hopefully within a week after unless told otherwise (have gone private) I will then know if I can take my car in for a service. If I find I am unable to take the car in for a service myself, as a last resort, It would be a big favour to ask as I am 40 miles away from you mate, but would you be able to drive my car in for the service if I am unable to do so myself, and if the offer still stands at the end of October? 

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
PM’d Brendan
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner