Author Topic: Rear Badge Fitting  (Read 2845 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Rear Badge Fitting
« on: 08 August 2018, 17:34 »
Does anyone know the best way to fit a GTi badge to the boot, I have bought a Genuine one from someone who de-badged there PP and they obviously ruined the sticky tape upon removal, I have ordered some double sided 3m tape but worried how I can form the correct shapes to stick it on :undecided:

MK7 GTi

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Rear Badge Fitting
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2018, 18:45 »
Do you have a sharp craft knife?

If so, peel back one side of the tape and stick the letters on.

Then cut around the letters very carefully.

Carefully but thoroughly clean and measure up exactly where the badges are to be stuck on.

With a steady hand, peel back the other side of the tape and stick firmly in the desired location.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2018, 19:45 »
Alternatively, assuming you’ve got chrome ‘GTI’ badges, keep these on the car and get a set of red badge skins and apply onto the existing badges.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 19:47 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2018, 21:08 »
Alternatively, assuming you’ve got chrome ‘GTI’ badges, keep these on the car and get a set of red badge skins and apply onto the existing badges.
it looks like he’s asking how to stick them back on after somebody debadged the car

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2018, 22:28 »
it looks like he’s asking how to stick them back on after somebody debadged the car

OP has posted recent pictures of their white GTI on the forum with GTI badges on the grille and tailgate. So, unless they’ve de-badged it and have had second thoughts and now want to put badges back on, it’s not debadged.

IMO badge skins would be an easier option than removing the existing chrome badge, cutting sticky tape to fit a used GTI PP badge and then attaching it in the correct location, although if the OP has already bought the badge, maybe they wouldn’t want to incur the additional cost of buying badge skins.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2018, 22:37 »

OP has posted recent pictures of their white GTI on the forum with GTI badges on the grille and tailgate. So, unless they’ve de-badged it and have had second thoughts and now want to put badges back on, it’s not debadged.

IMO badge skins would be an easier option than removing the existing chrome badge, cutting sticky tape to fit a used GTI PP badge and then attaching it in the correct location, although if the OP has already bought the badge, maybe they wouldn’t want to incur the additional cost of buying badge skins.

Yes I’ve taken off the rear badge ready for the red one to go on :embarrassed:

MK7 GTi

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2018, 23:40 »
Trace the badge on to some double sided tape then cut that with a 1mm offset inside the traced line so you can't see the tape when it's stuck on. Doing it that way would mean less risk of damaging the badge.

Also, in case you hadn't found this useful post before for location of badge:

I wondered about the front badge and your comment and photo confirms it, it might make me change my mind as I agree it doesn't look nice at all. I had thought of taking measurements of the original locations but thanks for stressing it!

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2018, 09:22 »
Thank you I shall try :sad:

MK7 GTi