Author Topic: Golfs - what do you like?  (Read 5997 times)

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Golfs - what do you like?
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2018, 13:01 »
As for me, I love how it feels to drive, the pedalbox has made such a difference, it picks up instantly without having to floor the throttle, it corners very well and the gear change is just so positive and a pleasure to use.
It should be, you’ve spent a kings ransom on it !😀

A small price to pay for the fun I had installing it (blood, sweat and swearing :whistle:).

Gone somewhere nice for your hols? Must be, last time I was somewhere that required a hire car I got a knackered old Fiat Panda! Mind you, in a strange way I quite liked it (execpt for when the gear knob came off halfway through a 3 point turn....).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2018, 15:00 »
Nothing too fancy, just good old Tenerife.
It’s the best car I’ve ever had from a hire firm and I’ve been coming here forever.
I may well look at modifying my gear shift soon. Since reading all your posts, I’m starting to realise that there is definitely room for improvement.
I may have to get you to fit everything though😀
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2018, 15:07 »
Difficult question.

The car just feels great to drive.

It is even really good for driving in traffic. Set cruise control, put both feet up and relax.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2018, 15:15 »
Best compliment I can pay to my Golf, and the odd one or two I've had before it  :whistle: , is that despite the fact I've not been using it regularly, as soon as I get in it there's that warm fuzzy feeling of being "home"

Almost everything just feels right about it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2018, 15:18 »
Its a golf its not shouty and is excepted everywere by all classes.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2018, 15:20 »
Nothing too fancy, just good old Tenerife.
It’s the best car I’ve ever had from a hire firm and I’ve been coming here forever.
I may well look at modifying my gear shift soon. Since reading all your posts, I’m starting to realise that there is definitely room for improvement.
I may have to get you to fit everything though😀

Now that's more like it, you know it makes sense :wink: Best thing I've done is the Audi short shift upgrade. Cheap, easy to fit and great improvement, a bargain! That and a good adjustment. I pass Manchester occasional enroute to family/holidays so if you are in no rush you'd be welcome to try mine first to see if it's worth it to you.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2018, 18:44 »
Echo all the comments already said.....being of a certain age :whistle: I've wanted a Gti since the MK1's arrived and being lucky enough to get our hands on a beautiful Clubsport last year its absolutely everything and more than I hoped Gti ownership would be! So much so that the PCP has been cleared (first time properly owning a car in 16+ years) and have no intention of selling.

Going on my previous history I'm normally eyeing up different cars after 18months but not with this, as someone has said it gets nearly everything right.....and I got the OBDEleven for the stop/start! :laugh:......I feel very happy every time I park my behind in the recaro's oh and for little outlay it now sounds perfect  :cool:

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2018, 10:28 »
Quite simply - I like it because it is engineered to perfection or as close to it as makes no difference.

I dont do flash or look at me which is why I ordered mine debadged, the only indication if it being a little different is my leather interior.

After 50+ years driving of more cars than I can remember it is the best engineered car I have ever owned*.

* As in cash purchase - with my own money!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2018, 16:05 »
I wouldn't say mine is engineered to perfection, you can certainly see where they've saved money. There are bits of trim here and there that don't feel quite as durable or as plush as they were in my Mk5.

However it still does lots of things very well and most other things better than average, so for me it's broad range of talents makes it hard to beat for similar money. It's been around now for about 6 years, yet it's still at the top of its class.

There's still room for improvement (for example the front assist 'auto-restart' feature is rubbish, the rear door cappings are disappointing for a £30k car). But the Mk8 isn't far away and that presents an opportunity to move the hatchback game on further.

The other Golf based VAG cars (Octavia/Leon/A3) are also great all-rounders, just aimed at different clientele. However they maybe aren't perceived as having quite the peerless image of the Golf.
7.5 GTD

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2018, 19:14 »
Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

It can be parked anywhere  without worrying it will be gone when I return unlike the last 2 BMW's I had.

Better built than my last two cars and does everything you want from a car.