Author Topic: SSSH! It's a secret!  (Read 7933 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: SSSH! It's a secret!
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2017, 09:13 »
I know someone who is a ford guy through and through and traded his st in for a r the other week.
His words is the build quality is leaps ahead
The drive is leaps ahead
The handling is leaps ahead

Only thing he likes more about the st is it takes a bit more driving due to torque stear. But he wont have another ford now. Not even the rs could sway him

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2017, 10:22 »
My first Golf was the MK6 GTD and I got that because I've always wanted one but never been able to start to afford one until the start of 2012.

Before this I was in a Suzuki swift.

Getting the MK7 GTD for me was a natural progression as I've loved my MK6 so I didn't consider anything else but a MK7.
The 7 I find is a lot more refined to that of my 6.
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2017, 10:33 »
I also looked last year (before I bought my second GTD) at the Ford ST line. Like everyone says, cracking spec, and very price competitive, especially considering the huge discounts I was offered - a fully specced ST3 (petrol) came in at over £5.5k less than the similarly specced GTI I was looking at, at the time (manual vs manual for a price comparison).

For me it was a couple of things that put me off. 1) Resale value - even with the bigger discounts offered the 3 year residuals were much worse than a Golf b) no Auto box. I know for some people that wouldn't put them off, but I love the DSG's on my last 3 VW's and wouldn't go back to a manual. I know the diesel ST now has an auto version, but not the petrol. and lastly c), Whilst I do think the general styling of the Focus is spot on (especially the Aston Martin-esk front and grill, but I've never liked the rear end of the focus which I just find to fussy with it's high mounted rear lights which heavily scallop in the rear wings. It's a personal thing but I think the Focus is better looking from the front than a Golf, but in all other angles (profile and rear), the Golf is much better.

Didn't find the interior or infotainment systems that much worse in design and build to the Golf to be honest, but I think I do overall prefer the understated looks internally of the performance Golf's over the performance Focus's. No doubt it is a very good car though. VW need to up their game to stay ahead of the pack

Can't say I've ever considered the new Astra, but it is quite a pretty looking car with good spec, but no idea what's it's like to site in or own though ?
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 10:35 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2017, 17:03 »
The ST that I drove had around 4k on it and it rattled like someone put loose change everywhere. I asked the sales guy and he said that every car make is like that :rolleyes: I was going to take him for a spin in my cc with nearly 100k on the clock and no rattles but thought what's the point.

In regards to the infotainment system the st the new 3rd gen one is supposed to be much better.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2017, 18:07 »
It's no secret that the GTD is better than the STD then!? :wink: Thanks for all your comments, I love reading about all the reasons why we have a GTD/GTI.

Yes, the quality of materials in the GTD is akin to a mini Bentley. We waft, rather than cruise along the road, cushioned in a cabin of excellence! Then, there's the powwwer (or tooorque).

Plus no one ever has said a Focus is beautiful. I think the way the Golf, especially the GTD is quite frankly, beautifully put together. There is NO comparison with the STD when it comes to build quality and materials..

I rather like it. Boom! :grin:
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 18:26 by GTDING »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2017, 19:22 »
It's no secret that the GTD is better than the STD then!? :wink: Thanks for all your comments, I love reading about all the reasons why we have a GTD/GTI.

Yes, the quality of materials in the GTD is akin to a mini Bentley. We waft, rather than cruise along the road, cushioned in a cabin of excellence! Then, there's the powwwer (or tooorque).

Plus no one ever has said a Focus is beautiful. I think the way the Golf, especially the GTD is quite frankly, beautifully put together. There is NO comparison with the STD when it comes to build quality and materials..

If I had to choose between the two in estate form I think the focus looks better but I'd still pick the golf.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2017, 20:35 »

If I had to choose between the two in estate form I think the focus looks better but I'd still pick the golf.

I twas sat behind a newish,black Focus estate today. Not bad looking as you say, but I got the feeling he was gnawing on his dashboard at how he missed out on the QUALITY of the Golf!

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2017, 20:52 »
I also looked last year (before I bought my second GTD) at the Ford ST line. Like everyone says, cracking spec, and very price competitive, especially considering the huge discounts I was offered - a fully specced ST3 (petrol) came in at over £5.5k less than the similarly specced GTI I was looking at, at the time (manual vs manual for a price comparison).

For me it was a couple of things that put me off. 1) Resale value - even with the bigger discounts offered the 3 year residuals were much worse than a Golf b) no Auto box. I know for some people that wouldn't put them off, but I love the DSG's on my last 3 VW's and wouldn't go back to a manual. I know the diesel ST now has an auto version, but not the petrol. and lastly c), Whilst I do think the general styling of the Focus is spot on (especially the Aston Martin-esk front and grill, but I've never liked the rear end of the focus which I just find to fussy with it's high mounted rear lights which heavily scallop in the rear wings. It's a personal thing but I think the Focus is better looking from the front than a Golf, but in all other angles (profile and rear), the Golf is much better.

Didn't find the interior or infotainment systems that much worse in design and build to the Golf to be honest, but I think I do overall prefer the understated looks internally of the performance Golf's over the performance Focus's. No doubt it is a very good car though. VW need to up their game to stay ahead of the pack

Can't say I've ever considered the new Astra, but it is quite a pretty looking car with good spec, but no idea what's it's like to site in or own though ?

We had a brand new, Astra with 800 miles on the clock,for a few days whilst the GTD was in for repairs. Took it down to London to visit Grandma. She was impressed, I wasn't.
It was mega easy to drive, well put together, looked nice in White, but dull as dishwater! Interior was poo, plastic looked like it was the same as some of the cheap kids toys around now, thin wouldn't cover it! Seats gave us bad backs after 20 or so miles. Both of us  had to be virtually removed from the car in a static state, after the 200 miles we travelled that day. :sad:
I admit it wasn't a performance version of the Astra, so shouldn't be compared to GTD, but if the performance version is interesting to drive, then Vauxhall must do some serious things to it! :shocked:

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2017, 12:36 »
Take the point about the Astra being a basic model so wouldn't compare with a performance version. I have had 1.6TDI Golf Match out on loan when the GTD was being serviced and it seemed worlds apart from the GTD. Horrible seats, horrible dash trim, poor suspension - certainly wouldn't tempt me into a Golf if I didn't already know how good a car the GTD is.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2017, 12:57 »
I agree ^^^

I was actually about to write something similar.

The loaner Golf I had was terrible. Then again the same has been true of all of the other cars I've had over the years - my high spec one was always noticeably better than the basic one you get as a courtesy car. Funny that ;-)

At the moment there isn't a new VXR Astra. I'm sure when that arrives it will be a hoot.

I don't think Vauxhall/Opel ever have done a powerful oil burner in a sporty package though.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC