Author Topic: Frankensteins monster: Golf turbo 1.9t build  (Read 33291 times)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Frankensteins monster: Golf turbo 1.9t build
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2016, 10:12 »
Awesome build :cool:

Can't wait to see this develop!

Offline Scott-R

• I live here
  • GoT BoosT!
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2016, 22:53 »
Epic  :whistle:
Golf GTI ... What else would you have?

Offline LJB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2016, 10:45 »
Did you stroke it or just enlarge bore size?

Increased bore size, works out just shy of 1900cc.
Awesome build :cool:

Can't wait to see this develop!
Epic  :whistle:

Cheers guys, appreciated.

Update time. So the past few weeks have been busy work wise and its been hard finding time to work on the project due to lack of working space. I recently had a unit however I had my concerns due to a security perspective and did not trust the unit I was in, so pulled out of it and took everything back home. Working at home is far from ideal.

So I took a trip up to Coventry to see Greg Gush @ ProTuner to go and collect the newest toy, got it for a price that doesnt come a crop often so could not resist!

Pretty much everything a car fanatic could hope for, fully adjustable launch, cuts, limiters, flatshifts, but most importantly to me adjustable pressure & temp trips as well as full Knock control (Many aftermarkets do not support this option) I did debate the Syvecs route but the price band was just too high (Circa £3.4k) for the items I required and the Links had amazing write ups on the old G4 systems, and Link have just raised the bar again with the G4+ range. Fully looking forward to getting this set up and having a play. Plugs are currently on order and will be making a Mil spec concentric twisted loom as soon as I figure out sensor positions etc..

Got most the weight out the front I wanted and started stripping the old electrics and looms out that are no longer necessary, wiring headphunk.. Need to start stripping the doors out and carpets next ready for the cage to go in.

Another package arrived the other day, this one I was excited about..

Its not often I have the time to write reviews or sit down and do write ups but this I really can make an exception for. A good friend of mine (Jimmy_20v) recommended me to give Prima Motorsport a call to get some harness' made up due to their exceptional quality and the fact they are made in house in the UK. To say the quality (Both customer service and product) is outstanding is an understatement.. I really couldn't recommend these guys enough, quality, workmanship, even down to the shackle quality is all A1* Locking mech is outstanding, engineering excellence. Im yet to find a pair of harness' that are as supple (Material wise) as these and feel as comfortable as the Titon harness'. Just like to throw a massive thanks out there to them for making such an outstanding product. If anyone is interested send Tessa an email and say I sent you ;)

So yesterday turned out pretty nice weather wise to decided to pull the motor out the garage and get some work done, Needed to clean up the gated baffled sump and get the 'New' flat rocker cover cleaned up.

Engine out and stripped back down:

Sump off:

I had an itch after installing the sump and got a message from Bill @ Badger5 about an item I wanted to grab from him.. So a quick run to Stonehouse and ran the "package" back...:

But what is it....?

Again, Outstanding quality from IE, This things huge.. Will get more detailed photos next weekend.

Installed on motor:

Had to chuck on the flat rocker for a mock up, huge difference aesthetically speaking, happy with how flat it is now, just to get it coated:

And that was the day done, Making another few orders today for the existing parts, BIG news in 2 weeks in regards to an update, but ill keep that one dangling for you to ponder on.

Thanks again all, Enjoiiiii !

« Last Edit: 03 April 2016, 14:35 by LJB »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2016, 21:27 »
Your local  :grin:

Excellent work, I want that rocker and inlet manifold.
Changes the look of the 20vt loads. How much better flowing is the inlet over standard do you know?

Offline LJB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2016, 07:07 »
Rocker took me over a year to find one, was a hell of a search! Flow is improved in every area possible. Stock flows directly at cyl 2 and seem to choke up early on the flow charts, actual air flow and velocity on stock is all over the shop too.. IE focuses more on the actual equal intake of each cylinder receiving the same amount of air flow per cycle. Hard to explain but check out the pic attached:

Offline BarneyEmmett

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2016, 16:10 »
Update?

Offline LJB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2016, 14:51 »
Okay, back from the dead. Works been mad recently and not had much time to update or work on the car. I have recently moved homes too so purchasing items for the house has put a hold on the project... Until now!

Also, got a new van, So have been using the time to drive around and find new roads to drive.

New van:

Had some new clutches made up too for some customers:

Car has been stripped to nothing now, looms all gone (no pics, apologies!) So started on fabrication of the cage amongst other items (pics to follow)

Just checking out some wheels, Kind of like the Compomotives but am tempted for something rebuildable, Some split rims have been spotted which I am viewing next week. Will update wheel wise in a week or two.

Finally got around to stripping, prepping and painting the rocker:

The stock shifter not only looked cack, but also had so much play and throw, so decided it was time:

Time for some carbon, Its been in my garage for around 6 years, I knew it would come in handy:

Formular Ford Carbon Wing:

I have next week off, And have some pretty big updates on the way, Fabrication, electrical work and also the engine will be going in place!

Cheers all
« Last Edit: 29 October 2016, 17:07 by LJB »

Offline LJB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2016, 21:25 »

So this week I decided to spend a week with a good friend of mine, Herm to get some much needed work on the Golf done. Work has taken a full stop and Ive taken a weeks holiday to smash out as much as possible.

So we started with the rear end.. No puns intended.. (AGAIN, sincere apologies for crappy pics, Really dont have time to keep bringing the DSLR in just to get wrecked in the workshop)

Ignore the owl... Inside joke

Bum clenching was in full force:

Mocked up and swaged to strengthen:

Also, did not manage to get any pics of the process, but end result of rear wheel well delete & fuel tank removal:

But whats all this effort for... Teaser of half the item fabricated:

Back to the grind again. Needed some more strength in the chassis, so decided to swage. After all, everyone needs a good gusset in their life.... :eyebrows

End result? 2 gussets per side, A pillar downstays and main hoop to chassis:

Last teaser pics?

For those who use social media, for more frequent updates on Instagram Follow @Graffting #Frankensteinsgolf

Stay tuned guys!

Offline LJB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 05 November 2016, 10:10 »

So I was too tired to write an update and upload pics last night, so I kicked it with some well deserved beers and K.O'd before 12pm...

Got started on the Fugly engine bay, cut all tangs and unnecessary parts out the way, fillered and flatted back:

Cleaned down and tack ragged. Spot the wizard...

Smashed on the red oxide thick (1.6 tip HVLP)

Stuck on a white base ( In the all ideal world I would have laid a silver basecoat, but didnt have any to hand so stuck with what we had )

Mixing up some colour, wanted something different for this, So used some left over from a few years back. Just hanging around for this very occasion...

Then laid the laquer on WET, wet wet wet... End result?

Pictures are shockingly bad quality as per, Iphone is almost dead due to going through 7 screens and constant dropping, until the DSLR is repaired, I cant get any decent pics...

Oh, Mocked up another viable turbo too.... :P 

Offline xtetx

• I live here
  • started as a 1.6 now we here
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2016, 09:04 »
Holy SH*T THIS IS A BUILD!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: