Author Topic: Going 4Motion by Haldex Transporter and Passat B6  (Read 20735 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Going 4Motion by Haldex Transporter and Passat B6
« on: 26 November 2015, 23:08 »
After eight years and 100k as our mainstay we decided to swap things up from our B5.5 Passat.

So we decided to replace the B5.5 Passat 4motion TDI with a T5 Transporter 4motion and replace the Alfa 166 with a Passat B6 4motion TDI.

Unfortunately, like many whole number software upgrades, it's a complete rip and replace on the Passat front.

We did consider Yetis (I've liked them since I drove one just after they came out), but those in budget (and I had to push the budget out to consider them) were in shocking condition and were being sold by morons at two car sales lots in Birmingham. 

By shocking condition I mean both of them were filthy inside.  The first one had a HUGE hole in the carpet under the pedals.  By huge, I mean it went all the way down to the steel.  It was also missing the trim around one of the seatbelt buckles in the back, the outer trim on the door grab on the driver's door and the boot carpet.  Underneath, the undertray was mostly smashed and hanging down.

The second one had had the towbar removed since the photos of it were taken, but more than that the battery was TOTALLY flat.  It couldn't even be revived with a jump-pack.

I wouldn't mind, but I specifically called both places and asked them to confirm that we would be able to drive the vehicles away on that day and that there were no issues with them.

Thankfully I'd called DannyP, who lives near Hereford, as there was a 4mo Passat there, he'd been and looked it over and driven it and said it was good.  We arrived late, after calling to confirm the guy would be prepared to meet us after hours, looked it over, drove it and bought it, dropped the Passat off with its new keeper and headed home.

Had to buy a towbar key for the detachable towbar, but hey.  I have also found it is missing the wheel brace and the emergency triangle.  What is it with people not leaving this stuff in cars?!

So, on to the van.

It's the last of the 2.5 5-cylinders, with a 'is that all?' 130bhp from the 2.5 PD TDI motor, but it goes bloody well when wound up.  Importantly it only has 76k on it and the last owner was spectacularly anally retentive.

It has air con, a second 'leisure battery' on a split charge system, LED lights in the roof in the back of it, an Eberspacher night heater, some home made shelving in the back and a Reimo roll out awning.

The seating is the sub-optimal part of the van for us - non-captains chairs in the front and the passenger seat is a double (with a weird 180 degree swivel under it).  There are also three seats in the back and it has OEM side windows (with receipt) that were fitted by VW.  They're privacy glazed, too.

We need to replace the front seats with a pair of single captains seats and strip out the rear seats and replace with a Multivan set of rails, with a three seater bench/bed and a single, so we can transport our kids and my folks about when necessary.  After that we'll buy a roof tent instead of installing a poptop, as it's half the price!

A Seikel lift kit with Bilstein dampers is also on the list.

Pics:

Awwww his n hers grey 4motion diesel VWs

Inside the van:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/diamondhell/media/2009%20T5/IMG_2021_zpsaht7izza.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

Barn doors to the back (wanted a tailgate):

matched set of Michelin normal tyres in the back to be fitted in due course as 'Gisaveld' (nicknamed Gizasled) winter tyres are not necessary on the IW.

M'mmmmm storage:

The thing I am REALLY not happy about is that the last owner insulated it with bloody rockwool brickwall

Ah well.

First change to it happened as soon as possible - off with those hideous wheel covers and on with £20 of centrecaps:

Much betterer.

Engine bay under the bonnet is nearly as nondescript as a 911:

I like both vehicles very much.  The Wife is massively in love with the van.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline archie837

• I live here
Re: Going 4Motion by Haldex Transporter and Passat B6
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2015, 09:38 »
The Syncro vans are ace

We've got one here at work, but currently on long term loan to some athlete lady rock climber person.

I had it out at a customer visit and ended up stuck in a bit of a tight squeeze and it reversed up a massive bank no problem at all.

If you require anything for it at all that we do, let me know and I'll sort you a bit of trade on it ( I work at just kampers now)
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2015, 09:39 »
Oh and keep an eye on the windows - we get a lot of complaints from people saying the VW sliders leak

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2015, 10:37 »
Oh and keep an eye on the windows - we get a lot of complaints from people saying the VW sliders leak

Thanks for the heads up on this and also mentioning JK.

Do JK do complete captains seats?  I'm in need of a pair! :whistle:

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2015, 19:59 »
We do the sports craft ones which are good but a bit pricy once you add all the fittings onto them - think it's close to £1500 all in for everything.

Agree on getting rid of the double seat though. Mega uncomfy and can't really fit 2 people on it

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2015, 21:01 »
As a mate said 'double seats, no f*cking good for one, no f*cking good for two'  :grin:

The Sportscraft seats look good.  Have you used them much?  How different are they vs OEM seats?  Not interested in the fixed headrest ones - they're minging!

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2015, 11:24 »
I've got one here on the office floor i've just been fcking about with

one of the other guys says they are really good - you get what you pay for - they just come in horrible colours now!

From what I have deduced from sitting in the one on the floor - nice firm side bolsters which feel a bit like a sportier seat.

the arm rest are adjustable and lock in to what height you want.

Tilty back and it's got a lumbar pump on it too so you can get it pretty much any position you want.

Leisure vehicle services have Aguti seats listed in their catalogue too and they are Lurrrrvly

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2015, 09:39 »
The advanced modding has continued with a B5.5 Passat interior light and an A4 rear view mirror (it didn't have one and Mrs Hell wanted one).

Tows lovely.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2016, 15:34 »
You need to get some wayne kerr plates on them to finish the his her and look.

Nice buys though mate. I look forward to having a poke around the van at Combe when Richard sorts the dates out (I assume you'll be coming).