Author Topic: The new daily  (Read 31750 times)

Offline murraymint

• I live here
The new daily
« on: 04 June 2013, 20:00 »
So I picked this up on Saturday. 1999 bora 2.0 se, 175k, one owner from new, full vw history up to 172k, Cambelt done at 165k, full 12 months mot, £460!!!!  :evil:

Inside needs a bloody good clean! Don't pull as nice as the valver but still quite well. Plans are just a small drop on springs and then a set of 16" monty 2's. not planning anything mad for it as gunna be driving it a lot more then looking at it lol. What'd you think?
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: The new daily
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2013, 20:15 »
OMG the dreaded 2.0 8v   - the worst ever engine made by VW.. does it use oil ?

other than that, looks great

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2013, 20:16 »
Now that's a bargain for the car and their ride is pretty comfortable too, I would say you got a good deal on that one.
I see it even came with a birds signature on the rear drivers side fender..  :whistle:

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2013, 20:21 »

Yh I know! It's not the best engine, but couldn't say no for the price, did buy it with a 1.8t conversion in the future in mind  :rolleyes:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2013, 20:23 »
Now that's a bargain for the car and their ride is pretty comfortable too, I would say you got a good deal on that one.
I see it even came with a birds signature on the rear drivers side fender..  :whistle:

Yh can't go one day without bird crap everywhere here!  :angry:

Cheers, yh it's a lot comfier then the mk3
josh

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2013, 21:05 »

Yh I know! It's not the best engine, but couldn't say no for the price, did buy it with a 1.8t conversion in the future in mind  :rolleyes:

My dads MK4 GTI had this engine, he bought it new. it had premature piston wear and a replacement engine by VW, the second engine did the same, theirs a known fault with them. tell tale sign is high oil usage

I replaced my dads with a 1.8T AUQ engine from a MK4 Anniversary (180 bhp standard) and also fitted him the 6 Speed box too.

its safe to say, we hate the 2.08v haha

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2013, 21:32 »

My dads MK4 GTI had this engine, he bought it new. it had premature piston wear and a replacement engine by VW, the second engine did the same, theirs a known fault with them. tell tale sign is high oil usage

I replaced my dads with a 1.8T AUQ engine from a MK4 Anniversary (180 bhp standard) and also fitted him the 6 Speed box too.

its safe to say, we hate the 2.08v haha

Yh I remember reading about the engine conversion on your dads car. Is there any other signs of this? As I've not had it long enuff to see if it uses oil. What's needed for a 1.8t conversion? Engine, box loom, ecu, keys?

josh

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2013, 21:36 »
He used to get the Check engine light alot on the second engine, just before we ripped it out and scrapped it. On turning the crank you could hear one ofthe pistons leakin air !!

For the conversion, you need the Engine, Box, fly, clutch etc, all ancillaries..bla bla bla

engine side loom, and the loom from ECU to where it goes into the bulkhead. then theirs a few wires that need splicing but its pretty much plug and play

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2013, 21:55 »
He used to get the Check engine light alot on the second engine, just before we ripped it out and scrapped it. On turning the crank you could hear one ofthe pistons leakin air !!

For the conversion, you need the Engine, Box, fly, clutch etc, all ancillaries..bla bla bla

engine side loom, and the loom from ECU to where it goes into the bulkhead. then theirs a few wires that need splicing but its pretty much plug and play

That's alright, think I could manage that. Think ima run it as is for a while, but I'd rather do an engine change then buy a shiny set of coilovers and wheels
josh

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2013, 22:03 »
too right mate

you need the Downpipe too, its fixed to the Cat in 1 piece as standard, and depending what engine you get, you might need the Accelerator pedal, and some of the Hydro pipes if you go for a 6 speed box

we used a Jetex exhaust for a 20VT too...  so the bore is correct etc..  the 2.0 system is not quite as big as a 20vt

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/