Author Topic: Seanls Corrado VR6  (Read 37174 times)

Offline CJA321

• I live here
Re: Seanls Corrado VR6
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2013, 20:15 »
I like this. Nice!!

Good job on the interior, but honestly, how the fook they manage to get that much filth up the b pillars haha?!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2013, 21:55 »
Well under the rear seats were these........................

Needless to say, it had been a while since it had a proper clean!  :rolleyes:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2013, 08:05 »
Got a little bit done yesterday, sorted most of the wiring and refirbed the heater box.
As mentioned the wiring all over and around the dash had been hacked to death, then covered in insulation tape, or more often just left bare! Various splices of previous wire from old alarms just left hanging everywhere too. All cut out, soldered back together and covered with heatshrink. Just need to sort the stereo speaker wires now, and try to reinstate some of the factory wiring to the back.
Heater box was removed as the bowden cables were really stiff so the directional control wasn't working properly, and as the pics suggest the old foam had broken down so nothing was working as it should be. A bit of reflective tape and draught foam works wonders! Replaced heater matrix whilst I was at it, but it had been replaced fairly recently anyway as the one pulled out was a VW Valeo item manufactured in 12/08, so didn't need to be done. (If only it there was any paperwork to say this!!!) Oh well changed it anyway so now have a decent spare I suppose.  :rolleyes:

Next will be moving on to mechanicals.

Pics.

Those wiring photos are befores btw! Pics of random bits of loom are a bit boring, so didn't bother with afters!  :grin:
« Last Edit: 07 April 2013, 08:27 by Seanl »
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2013, 17:05 »
Great job!!
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2013, 21:13 »
Ok its been quite a while since I last updated.
Done a few things in the last 5 months,

First off engine bay clean up.

Before.

After

After again

MOT was due so had to do quite a few things.

First off was brakes. The chump that was the previous owner painted the calipers, slider pin boots, bleed nipples, pads, splash guard, hoses etc etc etc...... Proper bodge and a shameful job.

The grinder came out to clean the pad back up as they were very good pads and it'd be a shame to bin em. I then wire brushed and chipped off all the paint that was where it shouldn't be on the metalwork, replaced all slider pin boots, replaced a bulging hose and a handbrake cable.

After

(Paint still on bleed nipple on this pic).

I also had to replace the ABS control module as well as the light unit itself, remove the cheap tacky HID kit.

Replace a headlight due to the adjuster mech being snapped. I put a set of Speedlines on temporarily as they had passable tyres, replace the stat, put a GB mounting bolt on as it was non existent! (No wonder I had sloppy gear changes! Did a compression test to make sure the lump was in good order. (All within tolerances without being excellent although it was a cold engine). New rocker gasket and sump gasket - at which point I noticed the oil pump pickup was cracked from it being dickhead low! Needed a new sump as well as it had previously been welded, right where the plug is. Plug was then put in over the top of a weld that wasn't ground down, and stripped the thread. Knobber!

^ ABS control module water damage.

I then replaced the aux belt tensioner pulley bearing as it was seriously fubar'd, and loud as hell!
A couple of bulbs and that was it!

MOT passed, and time to enjoy.

I was getting fed up with the big lacquer peel areas on the bonnet, and the scuffs on the bumpers. I'm planning on a DIY respray in Spring so just wanted to make it look a little more presentable.

Before.

After

Was a rattle can job so its not perfect, and the colour isn't a perfect match either. Its not all that noticeable though so unless its pointed out, you wouldn't be any the wiser. Very pleased with the finish though.

New peddle covers and parcel shelf straps - its the little things that make a difference!

Then a trip to the Corrado 25th Anniversary National Day at Castle Combe.
Included a couple of decent speed parade laps which were really good fun, and I'll definitely be doing a full trackday in the not too distant future as a result!

Since then I've been trying to sort out aesthetics. Side bump strips have come off, as the swage line actually hits anything before they do! and it looks a lot cleaner and more streamlined anyway I think.  :rolleyes:

Yes that is my 5 year old daughters Tinkerbell Hair dryer, and an old Gala Bingo card!  :grin:

Badged grille to replace the badgeless affair I didn't care much for.

New rimmage. Wanted a set of LM reps but finding a set in 17" is particularly hard, and the fact a new set would cost more than I paid for the car just wasn't going to happen. Got these instead which I really like though. - BBS RX228's 17x7.5

And lastly I'm in the middle of sorting the interior. I managed to get a standard cloth interior free locally, so butchered the passenger seat for the bolster foam to replace mine. The leather covers are in with the re-trimmers as we speak for repair, and I'll be re-colouring the lot with the furniture clinic kit I've now got. Also got a set of new B pillars as the old ones have nice big holes in them to fit a set of chav speakers that were ripped out when I got the car. And also bought a replacement steering wheel.

Thats it for now, will update again when interior is all back in place and recoloured.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 21:18 by Seanl »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2013, 11:13 »
Christ on a bike, this has made me feel a lot better about the Corrado I have in bits at the moment.  :huh:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2013, 11:21 »
It's taken some work to get it back into decent condition! Looking much better now though :cool:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2013, 13:10 »
It's come a long way, the further I got into it the more problems I found! On the plus side it has a very solid base with no structural rust at all, and as it had the chains, tensioners and bolts replaced just before I bought it, its very smooth and quiet.  Forgot to mention I've got 288mm front calipers, disks and pads from a late golf vr to go on as well, just need the conversion hoses and braking will be sorted. The trip round Castle Combe really highlighted how woeful the standard 280's are! Once the paint has been done I'll be really happy with it, and I can now see light at the end of the tunnel.  :cool:

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2013, 21:23 »
Liking his, a proper deep cleansing  :cool:

The handbrake cable mod is my personal favourite  :laugh: :laugh: I have all this to come  :sad:

Found a shelf bracket that has been used as an exhaust hanger on mine  :rolleyes: :laugh: :undecided:
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2013, 21:55 »
Forgot to tell you that there is a Raddo sat at the motor club at Sultan.  The owner seems to have poked off and left it there.

Think it's a G, but it may have some bits if you require them.  I'll find out some more and get back to you.