Author Topic: Seanls Corrado VR6  (Read 37178 times)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Seanls Corrado VR6
« on: 31 March 2013, 08:22 »
Thought I'd start a new thread alongside the Project one, so everyone can comment/post feedback etc.

Right the Valver was written off last June thanks to some Knob in a Range Rover deciding he didn't do stopping for red lights at 40, and ploughed into the back of the bloke behind me, who smashed into me and so on, causing a 5 car smash up.
 I'm now the proud owner of a Classic Green VR6 that I'm not so proud to be seen in! It needs alot of work!  Its badged as a Storm, but was registered in Feb 95, whereas Storms should be registered from May 95 onwards. It was owned by the dealer first, so I'm gonna phone VW in MK as they have the records, but I'm not counting on it.

Got it for a reasonable price, so I'm just beginning to get it cleaned up to see where it truly is. Bodywork has a few dings and lots of scuffs, as well as a small amount of rust. Few bits of lacquer peel too. Interior has been absolutely butchered to fit a stupid sound system, leather on the bolster is knackered, and the wiring is the worst I've ever come across! Remnants of three old alarm systems just snipped out and bare and exposed cable left everywhere, sound system was twisted wire left exposed to short itself on everything! and the engine doesn't turn off when the lights are on - And only half of them work! Wheels are in desperate need of refirb, and the rocker gasket is pissing oil. It was dickhead low, so the sump is smashed to bits too. Passanger heated seat doesn't work, and ABS light display plug has been mashed up so I don't even know where that is yet. Calipers have been painted by what looks like a 4 year old, with paint all over the pads and slider pin boots, so they also need a refirb.

On the plus side, it had Chains, Guides and Tensioners changed 9 months ago at a cost of £970! (didn't pay too much more than this alone) and it drives really well!

It's a project, so its at the work car club where I have access to a Four post lift. I'm taking it slowly, and trying not to rush into buys for it. Hopefully have it on the road in a few months once its actually road legal! even though it has MOT and Tax for a few months yet. I bought it two weeks ago, and I've just been stripping out the interior as it was absolutely disgusting, so cleaned it all up. I've also just finished machine polishing and protecting what little paintwork is in good condition.
It was absolutely shocking before! Probably the worst I've ever done! The previous owner lived in the Big Smog, and it really told! It was like running your hand over 600 grit sand paper before, with serious oxidisation all over the bodywork, especially the roof and bonnet. After the prep stages it was cut back with 3M Fast Cut Plus and a Yellow 3M pad, followed by Ultrafina on a Blue pad. Waxed with Collinite 476s then dressed. Interior was removed last week and cleaned with BH Surfex, and leather treated and fed with Gliptone, although I will be getting the bolster repaired and re-colouring the whole interior with a furniture clinic kit.

Next job is to sort the wiring though, before moving onto mechanicals then aesthetics.

Pics.

Interior 50:50

Headlining after

Carpet before

Carpet after

Pic of the B pillars (one cleaned, one not) that have been butchered to fit tweeters.  :angry:

Polishing stage before wax.

And finished shots

More to come in the coming weeks, starting with dash out and wiring.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 31 March 2013, 08:27 by Seanl »
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Martinvr6

• Not said much yet
Re: Seanls Corrado VR6
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2013, 20:10 »
It looks a pretty good base, but by god that interior is well past it

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2013, 20:53 »
Its very solid, and runs well tbh. The interior has come up absolutely fantastic tbf! Apart from the bolster needing repair and some new B pillars, its in very good condition now. Considering a mint cream heated leather would fetch around the £700 mark, a repair to the bolster and a furniture clinic colour kit, I'm looking to have a mint set for around 1/5 of that.  :wink:
Will be sorting other things higher on the list of priorities before doing this though.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2013, 21:55 »
Give Joe a nod at Trimdeluxe about the bolster repair, after all, he's only along the coast from you Sean.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2013, 22:49 »
Cheers Lewy, been looking into good retrimmers around here!

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2013, 23:05 »
Good to see you back, nice car
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2013, 23:33 »
Cracking work onthe interior:smiley: looks a really nice car.

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2013, 13:27 »
Was this on ebay? described with dodgy central locking?
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2013, 13:50 »
Stow/Wayne, thanks very much!

Leigh, It was on ebay, but not the one your thinking of. I was looking at that one though, but Carlisle is literally from one end of the country to the other from me! Although I had priced up flights from Southampton and everything, and it would have worked out ok for me tbf!

This is the one your talking of I'm assuming.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251242708908?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2013, 14:12 »
Yeah thats the one! Looked similar.

Unless something else crops up a corrado vr is my next motor  :smiley: Want a green one too!
Dont lose your dinosaur!