Author Topic: 1980 VW Golf LS - 1.3 G40 Turbo  (Read 26071 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
1980 VW Golf LS - 1.3 G40 Turbo
« on: 23 June 2012, 23:20 »
Been a while guys (and girls)! thought I'd update on my latest Golf that I picked up in January.

Current Spec

Model:

1980 VW Golf LS
Yellow (if you know the proper colour please let me know, no sticker in boot and I want to order some paint)
First Registered 17/06/1980

Engine:

Rebuilt 1272cc 'PY' G40
Garret T25 Turbocharger
Custom Turbo Manifold & Downpipe
Homebrew 2.5" SS Exhaust
Forge Dump-valve
540mm x 140mm x 65mm FMIC
Alloy RPM Tuning Sump
Aeroquip Braided Drain Line
Mocal Oil Cooler & Thermostatic Oil Cooler

Suspension & Steering:

JOM Coilovers
Seam Welded Wishbones
Superpro Wishbone bushes
Powerflex Steering Rack Bushes

Brakes:

Lucas 54 Calipers
Audi 90 Carriers
EBC 256mm X-Drilled/Grooved Discs
Ferodo DS3500 Pads
Goodridge Braided Hoses
200mm Rear Drums

Wheels and Tyres:

VW Driver Steels 14x8
195/40/14 ContiSports

Interior Styling:

Koenig Fixed Back Reclining Bucket Seats
Schroth Blue Harnesses with Pre-Tensioners
Roll Cage extending to A pillers and across windscreen
300mm Momo Team with Snap-off Boss
Various Guages

Couple of pics:-

Outside the pub in Durham (its previous home)

Back on the drive this morning, meeting its yellow younger sister

Comments:-

After having two series 1 mk1 golfs and 6 others, i took a sabbatical to make polos go faster than they should. After building a 170bhp Mk2 Rallye Yellow Polo and a 170bhp+ Comet Blue Mk2 Polo Turbo, I noticed this beauty which would make a suitable home for the turbo lump.

The drive home was interesting, no stereo and a rather loud cherry bomb exhaust made some for deaf ears! Fuel stop at Scotch corner was met with an old dear taking picture of the car when I got out the petrol station. Top couple, taking pictures of it for thier dub mad son!

Lots of random switches and some choice electrics! - Big red button for a horn by an air vent, hard wired rad fan, with a switch in the glovebox!

Wipers didnt work, which was fine until I got to the M62 where naturally seeing signs for Manchester, she decided to greet me in true fashion by raining! So whilst having a fag and attempting to see out of a very wet window, I noticed a random toggle switch in the ashtray. A flick of the switch saw the wipers come on! RESULT!

Interior heaters don't work so probably either a few fuses out, or going by the state of electrics, so dodgy wiring, so a play with the multi-meter over the next week when the cars in the unit should see all the minor niggles rectified.

Clutch is slipping due to all the 55 raging ponies, but thats no concern of mine really as the car wasnt bought for the engine

Planning on painting the bonnet (had a large black square?!) and engine bay, and completing the turbo transplant before the 28th (our clubs Rolling Road day, which the comet blue polo was due to make its appearance!) Wish me luck =D

My two previous series 1's - Warning upsetting content.

The Muppet

The Muppets demise =[

Charlie Murphy

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: 1980 VW Golf LS - 1.3 G40 Turbo
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2012, 23:20 »
Well sorting out our new unit was a priority before anything could happen with the Mk1. It came in a bit of a sorry state!

which after a weekends effort looked like this

The blue mk2 coupe is also mine and will be providing its heart for the Mk1. The engines in question

Mk1

Turbo

If anyones interested in seeing the build of the engine - see this thread

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...=244980&hl=

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2012, 23:23 »
So long suckaaaaaaaaaaa!

Holy Moly!

Just got water lines, gear linkage and driveshafts to come off and engines coming oot!

One big jigsaw puzzle :)

Tomorrow shall see the engine out of the G40, the blue mk2s suspension and subframe replaced with standard items and some rust in the mk1s engine bay cleaned up with a wire brush and sprayed.

Wednesday is a day off and Thursday see's three new arrivals to the unit!

If anyone has a new clutch (or good 2nd hand one) for a 4 speed polo/golf engine, please let me know!

Also after some 195/45/15 tyres for my Borbets

If I resprayed it, it would probably go muppet green again mate! Two yellow cars is a bit much!

I saw Rich the day I went to pick this up!

Got the engine out of the Mk2 this eve

See you!

Oh Hai!

Thursday saw the new arrival of Adams 2 of 4 cars and another 2 of my 6 cars =/

It was like an episode of chuckle brothers, to me to you affair, especially with the peril, as half the front suspension was still disconnected! (all back together now that I could work in the dry!). The Lupolo is tucked away neatly behind the yellow golf and blue polo, its first indoor home in 2 years after I had to move out of my old unit near Jodrell Bank. Eddie Stobarts son bought the land to turn into a helipad and stables, the motherhubbard!

My head is still caning from walking into the shutter doors, nearly fell thru the beemers roof taking the above pic, and generally me and pidge were walking accidents!

Anyway the day saw more than enough progress and I managed to get some rusty bits cleaned up in the golfs engine bay and gave them a lick of POR-15, ready for Fridays endeavours!

So today I stripped off the polo engine mount and fitted the Golfie one, got the engine in the bay and front engine, side engine and rear gearbox mount fitted (note - you need to notch the rear engine mount to fit a polo box) and refitted the driveshafts.

Also offered up one of the borbs - 195/45/15 Goodyear Eagle F1s arrive next week, woohoo!

Hopefully Sunday should see the car back on the road, and thrust into daily action!

Jobs include

Tighten driveshafts
Cut and shut polo & golf front gearbox mount (for zee 5 speeder)
Fit turbo downpipe
Fit Intercooler
Fit oil cooler
Route Boost Hoses
Fit new top fill Rad & Slimline fan
Fit high pressure fuel pump, accumulator, in-tank lift pump and change fuel lines for 8mm ID items
wire up fuel pumps
fit ecu and wiring loom along with relayed power from ign switch
fit oz ruotes from the peril

test drive!

Decided to try my hand at some welding today as I got a decent welder off my big boss at work for 50 dukes.

Et Voila - One polo/golf hybrid mount!

Welds all look good and penetrated well. Ground them back and started to box off some of the open sections from the joins, and triangluate it at the front, but I ran out of wire! Gutted! So thats on the shopping list for tomorrow.

So onto the Intercooler and Boost Hosing.

Intercooler roughly hung in place (Good old electrical wire)

Working out the routing from the turbo to the intercooler was a right headscratcher. After pillaging all the boost hoses from the few FI engines I have, I finally settled on this.

So will weld in some brackets to hang the intercooler and radiator from tomorrow.

Need a 90 degree boost hose (top left of the turbo -> intercooler picture) as I'm one short. Anyone around manc way got one? If so PM me asap please if I can collect it tomorrow! otherwise I'll get it ordered off ebay tomo evening.

Lots of jobs for tomorrow, looking forward to cracking on!

Well today saw a very productive day

- Got the driveshafts tightened
- Fitted downpipe
- Painted and fitted custom gearbox mount (my first attempt at welding, see pic below!)
- Intercooler, Oil Cooler, Radiator all fitted and plumbed in. Everythings held in place with cable ties at the minute so I know where to fit brackets to.
- In-tank lift pump and new 8mm ID fuel lines fitted
- Clutch, Speedo & Throttle cables fitted
- Servo vac feed fitted

Tomorrow shall see the
- Injection fuel assembly mounted underneath the rear of the car and plumbed in
- Fuel pumps wired up
- ECU Mounting
- Engine bay wiring
- Dump valve vac feed fitting

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2012, 23:23 »
Also need to do

Relocate the battery to inside the cabin, as the space is taken up by boost hoses now!

Boost/AFM/Oil Pressure Guages fitting (roughly as I dont want to cut into the dash, dont fancy garish on dash pods, so I think a 3 guage centre console is required!)

anyway some pics

Injection fuel assembly mounted underneath the rear of the car and plumbed in
- Fuel pumps wired up
- ECU Mounting
- Engine bay wiring
- Dump valve vac feed fitting

Wiring all takes longer than expected, but I'd rather do it (semi) right the first time round!

ECU mounted in the scuttle tray
Trusty holesaw saw a hole made in the raintray-> engine compartment for the G40 loom to pass through
Wired up all the G40 sensors
Welded studs to the turrets to mount the coil
Coil mounted, wires extended as passed into the inside of the car
Fuel pump wiring routed and soldered
Fuel pump and coil relays fitted and soldered
Battery earth terminal removed, and earths moved

Tomorrow I'm off to pick up the earth and power lead from a e46 330i and a momo team off a friend (already got one for this, buts its to replace the one I robbed out of the peril!)

Few jobs remaining that I can think of before it can fire up

Vac pipe for dump valve
Weld studs to underside of car to mount fuel pump cradle
Mount fuel pump assembly and route fuel lines up to in-tank pump
Trusty holesaw again to make hole in boot-floor for rear fuel pump loom
Mount battery in boot
Route battery power cable to starter
Move all positive battery connections currently fitted to starter motor
Wire up alternator
weld bracket for header tank and fit
route turbo water lines
fit midbox
rejoice, fire up and drive =D
get tyres fitted on borbets and get the tracking done

Jobs for next week will be getting the comet blue coupe back up on the road, mot'ing the Grey Mk3 G40 and removing the golfs dash to sort out the abomination that is the dash loom, check out the shocking state of affairs in the fusebox!

I'm finding conflicting threads for the fuses for series 1 fuseboxes, and no idea on the relays, can anyone help?!

(source owners manual 8/79):

1. Dipped beam left (8 amp)
2 Dipped beam right (8 amp)
3. High beam left, high beam warning lamp (8 amp)
4. High beam right (8 amp)
5. Heated rear window (16 amp)
6. Emergency lights, brake lights (8 amp)
7. Interior light, cigarette lighter, radio, clock (8 amp)
8. Turn signals (8 amp)
9. Reversing lights, horn, selector level console (automatic gearbox) automatic choke and pilot cut-off valve (carburetor engines) (8 amp)
10 Fresh air blower (16 amp)
11. Windscreen wipers and washer pump, rear window washer pump intermittent relay (8 amp)
12. Number plate lights (8 amp)
13. Side light right, tail light right (8 amp)

from this thread

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=35549

1 left headlamp Low beam
2 Right headlamp Low beam
3 Left headlamp High beam
4 Right headlamp High beam
5 Heated rear window
6 Interior light
7 Brake lights Ciggy lighter
8 Indicators
9 Horn
10 Headlamp washers Rear window warning lamp
11 heater Fan
12 Number plate lamps
13 Tail light right front side light right
14 tail light left front side light left
15 Foglamp
14. Side light left, tail light left (8 amp)
15. Radiator fan (25 amp)

One of the unit lads is going to get me a load of wire from his work and I'm probably going to redo the entire dash loom by hand, that way I know it'll be right, as currently its slightly unnerving, but to all who know my previous endeavours, I now keep a fire extinguisher in all cars

Finally back on the road :) been a right saga, involve far too many 3am missions and sleeping in till half 11 on a workday =/

in the work car pork

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2012, 23:25 »

Took delivery of my polythene sheeting and 3m refix tape so made up new door membranes and fitted some black GTI doorcards all round. Getting the rears in was a bit of a pain due to the cage being in the way but managed it in the end.

I do need the following bits if anyone can help
Passenger window mech
Passenger door pull surround and screw cover
Single plastic threaded plug in the door that the door pull handle screws into

Got rid of the chrome golfball gearknob and fitted a new empi leather one I had kicking around. Feels loads comfier. The chromey one is up for grabs if anyone's keen.

Got a new multimeter the other day as my old one had bit the dust, so whipped the throttle body off and rigged up a test system with a foot pump and a boost gauge so I could tweak the pressure switch (which replaces the digifants full throttle switch) to activate at 6 psi.

Also been looking at gauge mounts as I don't want to drill any holes in the dash and don't want a din plate as I will be fitting a stereo soon. Spotted stack rollcage mounts but they were pricey at 25 pound a piece! Far more than I want to spend and I hate the look of the pillar mounts as they look cheap and tacky! Had a brainwave last night for a quick solution involving a jubilee clamp around the cage and some cable ties to hold the gauge in place! Works a treat :)

With the ability to actually see what boost I'm putting out, I've noticed that I'm only getting 0.5 bar max so I'm guessing I either need to tweak the actuator rod length.

Got a few lengths of stainless piping and an over the axle mandrel bend and a flexi pipe so next weeks job will be finishing off the exhaust system, fitting the harnesses and new seats and adjusting the gear linkage slightly. Once that's all out the way I'll be able to concentrate on finishing 2 of the olops at the unit woop woop

Couple of pictures from the Manc:Union meet on Sunday

Got a few odd jobs done

Fitted Harnesses
Fitted Mk3 G40 Rocker Cover
Fitted a new t-piece for an oil pressure and oil temp sender
Fitted a new grill with non-broken tabs

Got a few jobs to do tonight

Fit Oil Pressure & Temp Guage and wire up.
Troubleshoot brake lights as they decided to no longer work =/
Complete the rear section of the exhaust system
weld subframes for new seats

Also got some banded steels on the way, 14x8 :)

fitting the koenigs from my mk1 polo

Well I\'ve not driven the golf Last week since the meet due to having other commitments but jumped back on it on Saturday.

Picked up some banded steelies (14x8 driver steels) all with 195 45 14s on, although one had suffered a blow out so has been refitted with a new 195 45 14 yoko I had lying spare.

Tooke the fuse box apart and it was a grot fest inside. Cleaned up all the contacts as best as I could and managed to get the headlights working again via the fusebox, omitting another section of sketchy wiring added by the previous owner.

However the brakes still didn\'t work boo! I\'d already tested the switch which was working fine, and if I fed power to the black/red wire of the rear loom the brakes light came on, so it must be a dodgy internal connection of the fuse box. Just rigged up a circuit from terminal 30 on the fusebox to a fuse to the pressure switch, which then feeds into the rear loom for the brake lights.

Rich kindly donated me a later blade type fusebox and hopefully a loom and I can replace the woeful s1 boxs at the fraction of price of replacing the early fusebox.

Made up an over axle bend for the exhaust as its been half finished since I put engine in and welded a flexi into the system where then downpipe meets the centre box.

The rear system is just a straight through pipe with a bastuck style upswept tip.

Wanted to weld on hangers but ran out of gas :( however the mid box is still sitting to low despite moving it further towards the front of the car to clear the handbrake cables, so think I\'m just got to fit a straight through pipe in place of the midbox and use the midbox as the rear silencer.

Finished up this evening by sticking the wheels on, will get some more gas tomorrow and crack on with the rest of the exhaust , hangers and if I get some time, some seat frame adjustments to the new seats.

I\'ll grab some pics tomo of the new wheels in the day

But for now

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2012, 23:27 »
Some pics :)

Ignore the wetness, thats from my Mk3 G40, the thermostat housing is leaking so is being replaced this week.

Prob just gonna stay white dude :)

Got some more gas, replaced the centre box with straight through pipe for and used the centre box as the backbox.

Loads more ground clearance :)

Need to buy some 8mm rod to weld some hangers to the exhaust but its not going anywhere in a hurry :)

So just driving and enjoying while I give the grey g a service this week and crack on with the comet blue next week

Well been an interesting couple of weeks! Bumped into the back of some bird at about 5mph, cold tyres cold brakes wet tarmac and people stopping in stupid locations led to...

So parked it up for a few days while I modified and welded up the existing subframes to mount my Koenig seats.

Took the wing out and bashed out the dent out as well as semi straightening the headlight surround, but noticed a few rusty patches at the bottom of the outer sill and some on the floor panel. Welded in some new panels in place which don't look differerent from factory despite bending thick metal ( all I had at the time ) in a vice with a hammer! Now that I'm a bit more confident with welding, I got hold a front floor panel and outer sill and will fabricate my own inner sill. Also going to remove the cage and mount it a bit more sensibly than the previous owners.

So anyway got the car back on the road, running well until my biting point of the clutch was on the floor and eventually non existent! After messing about with the cable I manned up on Saturday and whipped the clutch out, pleasantly surprised to find out there was a helix organically lined clutch on there! However that made way for a helix 4 paddle clutch and new pressure plate. Stupidly I forgot to fit my new vag clutch release bearing but its cool it. Can stay on the shelf for now!

Clutch biting point restored, which means I don't have to weld a proper repair plate in the bulkhead just yet ( bolted a repair in place for the time being )

Woke up this morning to see Yousaf wash me written in the dirt in the side of the car as I haven't washed it since I first got it, so here are the pics.

If anyone has a spare passenger headlight and a front panel the hit me up :)

You do it the engine in situ? These lil clamps should make fitting quite easy for butt welding the repair panel in.

It might be dude not sure. Youve reminded me to look for some crosshairs

Wicked weekend at all types, what a night!

On the autojumble (I actually washed it! Albeit quickly and thanks to Matt and Kim for cleaning the wheels!)

On the return trip from Wales

Had to finish off with a pub meal

Bai bai gearbox

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2012, 23:28 »
Spare atv being whipped out

Atv tAken out of the golf

Looks like the splines on the paddle clutch are fubarred!

I only put this on 3 thou ago, replacing the helix organic clutch and uprated pressure plate that was on because the biting point was on the floor and it wouldn't engage the clutch. Didn't check in retrospect the clutch fitted the gearbox when I fitted it. I've got another paddle and a std clutch in the unit, checked them and they are nice and snug on the spline of the box this one is not surprisingly loose as fook!

During the 3k it's always been notchy in 2nd and 4th unless a blip of the throttle on gear change. And was sounding rattly with the clutch peddle out. When I was on the clutch (foot down) it would go. I meant to change the crb when I last did it but forgot and saw the brand new VW one staring at me as I was driving out of the unit!

Going to fit the new clutch release bearing and clutch, but would you change the box too? I could always have the current box inspected now which would mean it can get a clean bill of health!

Did some investigation this evening, Both paddle clutches have 24 teeth or did in the case of the deceased above, and both input shafts on the actual and spare known good gearbox had all splines intact.

Span the cvs and the guide for the input shaft was wiggling about, after removing the bearing you can just make out the snapped lug on the guide.

Stuck a new paddle clutch on, reused the pressure plate, and popped on the perils atv, gearchanges and selection feel really good now. I do want a new 4 speed shift finger  tho as there is play in the current one, so back in daily action woop

I'll probably get the other box checked out by Tameside or geartorque to know its sweet

legend dude! Arrived today :)

MOT's coming up for the golfie, so its that time to rectify all the lil faults that I've never got round to doing.

Yesterday was spent making up stainless steel brackets for the radiator, realinging the bonnet catch, tucking the exhaust up some more, and welding a rear hanger on the backbox.

Also spent some time investigating the front suspension to assess what needed to be replaced.

Waiting for the following bits before I can rebuild the front of the car :-

Seam Welded Wishbones
New Steering Rack
New Steering Arms
New Track Rod Ends
New Balljoints
New Wishbone Polybushes
New Steering Rack Polybushes

(Big props to EuroCarParts for the 25 percent discount on all the service items)

I would really like to replace the universal joint but at £250+ from VW Heritage, I think i'll pass!

Also got a front lower wishbone brace thats been made up by RandomBadger69, so will be putting the 15's back on when the front is all rebuilt, which should give me the ground clearance I need to be able to not smash the brace off the world!

Further jobs for the MOT include

Welding to passenger floor and inner
Exhaust hanger for both shell and exhaust, for the midbox.
Fit new rear handbrake cable (as the old one is impossible to get fitted, as its too rusty for the springs to move freely enough to connect the cable to the shoes)
Need a new passenger door handle with key

my week off work arrived, so deconstruction could commence

car needed welding on the sill and around the clutch cable, so best option was to remove the dash, and part of the cage

with the dash out gives me the perfect opportunity to upgrade to the later style wiring loom, as the previous one was bodged with random switches all over the place!

had always wondered why a load of air came from the top of the dash, thought the venting system was afray, but it turns out theres just a section of the window screen surround thats rusted away in the middle, you can see it better in the below picture

there was loads of glass there, so i think when the screen was last changed, the old one broke.

the clutch repair wasnt just a simple section around the clutch cable area, it's previously rotted through and been repaired so took out the entire steering column so i could get good access with the grinder and welder

also whipped off the old wishbones, and steering rack, ready for this little lot to go on

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2012, 00:06 »
Hmm suspect repair panel

Boom - nice repair job LAD!

Bye Bye Rot

Heres where progress was halted as I ran out of gas :( on a saturday at 6 no less arggggggggh

So I gave up on welding missions and thought I'd crack on with getting the front suspension and steering rebuilt so I could get the car rolling again and do other bits and bobs.

Tried the UJ from the old steering rack on the new rack and the spline on the rack was too small, after investigating the new rack has Volvo! stamped on it FFS!

So stripped down my old rack, cleaned it all up and refitted it. The UJ gaitor came up like new with a clean inside and out, really chuffed as replacements are expensive. The racks now held on with Powerflex rack bushes and theres fresh tie rod arms and ends, with vgc VW boots for good measure.

terrible picture below

mainly due to the fact that i happened to mention the word food, tez mentioned nandos and next thing we know ive got a double breast chicken pitta in front of me. BAM

doesnt look like ill be finished tomorrow now with the lack of gas, unless i decided to get ass raped at hellfrauds for disposable gas canisters! so ill get all the mechanical stuff done, and chop out all the rusty bits and make all the repair panels so i can just zip round them all in the week when I have more gas.

random rambings of stuff ive got left to do before i can drive it again, looks loads more than whats left but a few are fairly time consuming tasks

fit wishbones to car
remove heater matrix
remove instrument panel from dash and affix in place (running no dash for a while to sort out welding jobs - windscreen surround and heater surround)
finish making bulkhead repair panels
welddddddd
weld wiper mech bracket back on
epoxy mastic that sucker
repair front left sill and floor section
refit steering column
fit sheer bolts
refit clutch cable
refit brake linkage clevix pins
Fit new handbrake cable
refit cage
refit seats
refit harnesses
check tracking, adjust and tighten - inner steering arms, outer steering arms, steering arm balljoint
wire dash instruments and switches back in situ
trace and replace dodgy wiring in series 1 loom
fit new fuel pump
driiiiiiive

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2012, 01:27 »
I like  :smiley:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2012, 17:19 »
seriously good work. great project but seems to be taking over your life!! :grin: