Author Topic: Carbon canister delete how to  (Read 45569 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Carbon canister delete how to
« on: 18 February 2012, 16:42 »
Right thought I'd just let you know how I did it and it works a treat

First of all order yourself a 10w 330ohm resistor from RS Components or they can be sourced from ebay but I didn't want to wait

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/160-382/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=330ohm+resistor+10w&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&_odkw=330ohm+resistor&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Another thing you might want to think about is possibly using the spare take off that you will have on the throttle housing as a source for a boost gauge. If you want to do this you'll need a 4mm to 8mm pipe reducer, available from ebay for a couple of quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Barbed-Straight-REDUCER-Silicone-Hose-Connector-Fuel-Pipe-Joiner-Water-/330685325127?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&var=&hash=item7dbdca683d

Now for the fun part.

First of all you need to find all the bits you're going to remove in the engine bay. Look for the carbon canister, associated pipework and the clips.

Next pop the lid off the canister and cut this pipe off right at the join leaving as much of the hard plastic pipe as possible. Then remove the rubber pipes and check valve from the throttle housing and the carbon cannister. Disconnect the electrical plug too

Now find the bolts that secure the canister to the inner wing. They are 10mm and you'll be able to see one of them but the other is hidden under the bonnet release cable guide. The guide is held on with two screws, one on the wing join and the other on the inside of the front panel just above the back of the headlight. Once you have undone these you can slide it out enough to get the bolt undone.

When you've undone these bolts you should be able to pull the canister out. You'll probably need to give it a bit of a wiggle to get it past the PAS tank but it's doable.

Now with the canister out the way follow the pipe from the T piece back to the TIP. I cut this back as close to the TIP as I could and shoved an M8 bolt in there to block it off. I reused one of the clips from the pipe to secure it

Now you need to turn your attention to the electrical connection. The resistor needs to be fitted in place of the solenoid on the top of the canister. You can cut the plug off and solder the resistor in place but I chose to fit it to the plug as it can still be refitted if needed.

Now for the petrol tank vent pipe. This still needs to be vented as your petrol tank will still want to let off excess pressure. I reused some of the rubber pipe that was cut from the pipe going back to the TIP for this and also a clip. Shove the pipe through one of the holes in the wing to vent the fumes under the car.

Lastly if you want to connect the boost gauge to the throttle housing take off use the 8mm to 4mm reducer and route the pipe back to your boost gauge.

As usual I won't be held responsible for anything that goes wrong, I'm only telling you how I did it  :wink:

Oh and did a quick scan with VAG COM last night and no fault codes from removing it  :smiley:

If you need any help just ask  :cool:
« Last Edit: 19 February 2012, 16:25 by Wazzzer »

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Carbon canister delete how to
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2012, 17:14 »
Great guide bud :afro:

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline jnufcuk

• I live here
  • Mk4 1.8T, Mk3 VR6 gone AUDI A1 Gone, Back in GTI
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2012, 17:33 »
good guide mate, is it just to stop the clicking? :undecided:
Add me on twitter: @stacky789 Instagram: JBOY_9

Audi A1 Gone ;( VR6 Gone ;( Back in my old mk4 GTI :D

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2012, 17:37 »
I did it mainly to eliminate the huge length of pipe back to the TIP as the small S shaped part near the throttle body was starting to perish. Also it ensures only clean air is going into the intake

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline jonnyturbo

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2012, 17:44 »
any pics of it  taken out of the bay ?
Gone but still keeping a close eye on it...

Mk4 golf 1.8t AUM Hybrid K03s. Custom Mapped by R-tech to 260bhp. CR hybrid turbo Audi TT injectors / fuel pump, Forge tip,THS FMIC,Carbonio CAI, Full milltek turbo back, N249 bypass, Fully poly bushed, Weitec coils. Genuine R32 front bumper and Genuine R-line rear, Genuine Porsche twists, Anniversary black interior.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2012, 17:55 »
I'll get you some tomorrow mate, it's pouring down out there now and the car is miles away lol

Great guide bud :afro:

Cheers Rich :smiley:

Offline jonnyturbo

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2012, 17:58 »
np wes :afro: good guide
Gone but still keeping a close eye on it...

Mk4 golf 1.8t AUM Hybrid K03s. Custom Mapped by R-tech to 260bhp. CR hybrid turbo Audi TT injectors / fuel pump, Forge tip,THS FMIC,Carbonio CAI, Full milltek turbo back, N249 bypass, Fully poly bushed, Weitec coils. Genuine R32 front bumper and Genuine R-line rear, Genuine Porsche twists, Anniversary black interior.

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2012, 19:58 »
top man wes  :cool:

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2012, 09:03 »
Its on my todo list, n this well help, nice one.

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2012, 16:28 »
updated with pic of canister gone  :wink: