Author Topic: Jay's V5 Passat  (Read 35173 times)

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Jay's V5 Passat
« Reply #110 on: 25 June 2012, 22:30 »

Good effort. What did you use in the end? :cool:

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #111 on: 26 June 2012, 08:22 »
Turtle wax head light restorer  :smiley:

Just about to go pick her up from getting the temp sensor and passenger side CV replaced, the mechanic couldn't replicate the noise and to be fair I've only heard it a handful of times with the passenger window down but at least it's done and don't have to worry about it now, peace of mind and all that.

Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #112 on: 26 June 2012, 11:32 »
Might the noise be a top mount or bush? Good to hear little bits sorted though. How about a discreet little spoiler for the boot? Saw a few at Inters and personally think they suit it.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #113 on: 26 June 2012, 13:26 »
Dunno, but he wasn't able to replicate it even on the crap back roads around Benson / Wallingford or on the ramps so I said might as well replace the passenger side as the drivers side was done last year and gives me peace of mind knowing it won't need doing. He replaced the temp sensor and said it still isn't working so probably something else (wiring at the back of the clocks like I've seen A4/A6's suffer?), but it worked this morning all the way in when I picked up so I'll keep an eye on it. He also found a leak in the radiator which needs doing at some point soon.

It also needs a service, it had 1500 miles left before the service was due then change to Service Now suddenly about a week ago.

It's a good thing I've got a car savings account for maintenance now so I can get all these things done without seeing it come out my normal account :grin:

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #114 on: 26 June 2012, 19:35 »
nrgh... the new sensor hasn't fixed the intermittent temp reading on the coolant temp gauge and he wasn't sure what else it could be. Best to some research.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #115 on: 26 June 2012, 20:47 »
nrgh... the new sensor hasn't fixed the intermittent temp reading on the coolant temp gauge and he wasn't sure what else it could be. Best to some research.

Thermostat

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #116 on: 26 June 2012, 22:41 »

Thermostat

I was wondering that, I've read a few posts else where, the same issues were occurring and the sensor was replaced along with the thermostat at the same time so no definite cause :sad:

But just to be clear, it goes from 0-90 in about a second when it decides to work and the car has been running 5-10+ mins, does that still correlate with the stat being duff?

Will see how big of a job replacing a rad is as do the stat at the same time.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #117 on: 17 November 2012, 13:13 »
She needed a little work to get through the MOT - all sorted now though after a bit of a let down.
The garage had a choice of two hire cars, 1 being a small auto thingy and the manual 206. Having never drove an auto before and not wanting too, I thought "how bad can the 206 derv be?"  :lipsrsealed: :sick: Quite bad as a matter of fact. My Passat with more than twice the mileage and 3 years older feels so much better in every single way.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #118 on: 14 November 2013, 14:21 »
That's another years MOT sorted  :cool:

Only issues were two I knew about, 1 of which was a LED number plate light which I got off ebay for £4 and melted/bowed the clear plastic casing and board!  I contacted the seller, he sent another, it also done the same so gave up and let the garage sort that - the other being the exhaust which started blowing a week and a half ago.

It had a few advisories which I'm going to get them to sort out, nawt major.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #119 on: 30 September 2014, 23:27 »
Well f**kity f**k. Just the perfect way to end an already crap day.

It would appear the timing chain has gone, so much for part exchanging it this weekend coming.

RIP beast.