Author Topic: Andy's 16v Corrado (finally back in a Golf)  (Read 136143 times)

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
Andy's 16v Corrado (finally back in a Golf)
« on: 25 October 2009, 08:19 »
Well Folks,

As I spend ages on here reading about what everyone else does to their motors, I thought I would share my experiences with you (plus I told Nick I would do this and I don't want to go back on my word  :smiley:)

Anyway, for those that don't know, I used to have a Mk3 8v that, although people slate them, it never let me down and was a good solid motor  :smiley:.

I put the Mk3 on ebay and offered it up with a silly high buy it now in the hope that someone would offer me a deal as I had said I was moving on to an older motor. Had lots of offers (a lot of sh!te mainly  :laugh:) until this one really caught my eye  :wink:. So along with some very good advice from Nick (horney) and veedubgti16v, I reckon I had enough to go on to make sure that I didn't end up with a complete lemon  :laugh:.

So, after many phone calls and a couple of meets the deal was done. I arrived there Tuesday afternoon in this.......

And came home in this............

Classic Green 2.0l 16v Corrado with 119,000 miles on the clock. Full stainless Magnex (which has seen better days but doesn't blow and is still in good enough order to last a while, but is on my "to-do" list. The only issue with the bodywork is a little bubbling on the rear arch which I'll get done in the new year  :sad:

The first things I did were.......

Almost non-existant brakes
Wiper issue (blades not even touching the screen  :shocked:)
A ghetto fix on the throttle body where the return spring had snapped.

(sorry, no photo's of these things done)

Brakes:
Drained the brake fluid, water and mud out of the system and replaced with some new fluid only and I have brakes again (still think I'll replace the master cylinder at some point. But at least it stops  :cool:

Wiper issue:
Replaced the wiper mechanism (ebay for £1  :laugh:) as it was worn and very loose. Now I can see when it rains  :cool:

Throttle body:
Replaced the entire throttle body thanks to a guy on the Corrado forum. Now it ticks over OK  :cool:

With those things done I was able to start putting my mark on it.

1. Smoked side repeaters

2. Full valet on the interior (previous owner was a smoker  :sick:)

3. Clayed, 3 staged and tech waxed. (going to get some better wax for it ready for the winter).

4. Ride height was a little 4x4 for me  :laugh: so off came the suspension (which I found that the shocks,springs and top mounts were all sh4gged  :shocked:) and fitted a 40mm spring & shock kit with new bump stops & top mounts all round. What a difference  :smiley:

5. Bought some light tint spray and gave the rears a couple of coats to reduce the orange on the rear light clusters.

6. The wheels are not my thing so after a deal was done with RSCPK, I am the new owner of some 16" Brock B3's  :cool: 2 of the tyres were bald ( :shocked: :shocked:) so I replaced them with some 205/45/16, I then realised in my hurry to get the old wheels off that I had forgotten that the wheels came with 2 good 205/40/16's on so I now have different profiles front to back  :embarassed: going to get them done ASAP.

These pics were taken this morning just to let you know how far it's coming on (I will get some better ones soon I promise).

Future plans are to get the wheels refurbed (all kerbed at the mo) in a cream colour. Replace the drivers seat as the bolster foam has collapsed (seat isn't torn though) and get the rear arch sorted along with the bonnet resprayed as it is badly stonechipped (hence the bra).

I await your comments and abuse  :laugh: :laugh:

:smiley: :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 July 2015, 06:53 by Andy-H »
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
Re: Andy's Classic Green Corrado 16v
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2009, 10:39 »
no abuse...get it tidied...although aint cream wheels as bad as white :lipsrsealed:  :laugh:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2009, 10:57 »
Nice looking car, looks like you been busy on it! keep it up  :cool:

Dan

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2009, 12:56 »
Looks better on those wheels.

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2009, 15:09 »
Cheers for the comments guys  :smiley:

no abuse...get it tidied...although aint cream wheels as bad as white :lipsrsealed:  :laugh:

Not sure what you're gettin' at there buddy but I like the idea and it's my car  :tongue:  :laugh:

The wheels that were on when I bought it had to go.........they were letting the car down. Anyone want to buy 'em  :laugh: :laugh:

Not sure what I'll be doing next, only had it a month and I seem to have spent all my spare time on it  :embarassed:

'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2009, 17:43 »
Exactly, its your car, so do what you want.  Just never been a fan of white wheels...or black for that matter...high polished or simple silvers always work best imo. 

Car does look tons better without those other wheels they were  :sick: .  I'd say a drop was in order next...tighten up an already good chassis  :cool:

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2009, 17:51 »
I've already dropped it 40mm, but the fronts only having the 40 profile on make it look a bit high again  :sad:. 45's are the right size for the car and I'll be changing them soon so they will fit the wheel arches better  :smiley:

Not wanting to go too low as the car handles great now and I don't want to ruin the ride  :wink:

Going to go for the cream on the wheels, not a "I've got Bentley rims on" cream but something more traditional  :wink:
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2009, 08:24 »
I've already dropped it 40mm,
Really?  Maybe its the pics but it looks really high still.  :huh: Look forward to cream n green just to prove me wrong!  Get some more pics up

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2009, 17:00 »
I'll get some better ones done and posted next time I'm out and about with the camera.

It still looks high because of the low profile front tyres  :sad:

Hopefully I'll get a christmas bonus that'll cover the cost of a wheel refurb  :laugh:
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2009, 17:24 »
I think it looks a good ride height for good ride/handling compromise.

As well as being lower than stock, are the springs stiffer?  Where was the kit from/made by who/how much?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.