Author Topic: Tatty Corrado - holistic healing continues  (Read 78388 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Tatty Corrado - holistic healing continues
« on: 19 October 2009, 23:04 »
For those who didn't see on Nick's thread, Nick and I swapped cars yesterday, in Southampton.

The car's now going to be on the Isle of Wight and at least part-time on family duties.

These are some pretty different requirements to those it's been fulfilling for Nick.

I'm putting together a shopping list of jobs at the moment, which isn't too long, but there's some high-priority items in there.

Weld the exhaust back box back together with the rest of the system - it was swingin' free at the point of the swap.
Replace the fuel filter as it's leaking
Replace the second lower control arm and get the wheel alignment sorted
Swap out the struts for OEM ride height units
Replace the rear beam bushes - the back end is clonky
Fit new headlight bulbs and relay loom
Investigate the possibility of fitting ISOFix child seat mounts in the back.  I have a set of Passat ISOFix mounting bars that look like they might work.
Replace KE-Jetronic fuel misting system with ABF EFi set up
Fit tubular exhaust manifold
Replace cat with de-cat or sports cat
Refit rear wiper motor.
Investigate non-functioning ABS system

Sorted the exhaust tonight, as I just couldn't live with this:

Going back to Calbourne Off-Road on Thursday to sort the control arm and the wheel alignment.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2013, 20:41 by Diamond Hell »
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: The ex-Horney Corrado
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2009, 23:09 »
Poor thing won't know what's hit it with all this kind treatment, mind you it'll miss the smooth north hampshire roads, ha ha.

Fuel filter leak is a weird one, not ever heard of them leaking before.

nick

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2009, 23:31 »
Poor thing won't know what's hit it with all this kind treatment, mind you it'll miss the smooth north hampshire roads, ha ha.

Fuel filter leak is a weird one, not ever heard of them leaking before.

nick

Badly fitted at the Banjos possibly.. washers could be f**ked and not been renewed? some cheap filters dont come with them from what ive seen!
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2009, 23:51 »
Ar$e boll0cks fcuk.

Bigger weaponry on that bolt resulted in a snapped bolt  :undecided:

Inside the subframe  :undecided:

So, I need to go find another subframe, ready to replace it and the powersteering rack on Saturday.

Good job there's a rack in the boot ready.

Needs an outer CV boot on one side and the driver's side track rod end while I'm at it, too :undecided:

Wonder where I should replace the engine mounts at the back and gearbox end while it's all apart..... you know the answer's probably yes.

Ahhh, nothing's ever simple, is it?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2009, 07:23 »
This is not good.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2009, 08:57 »
Pah, mission on.

Boot, track rod end and all three engine mounts ordered from GSF Soton.  Should be at the Red Funnel terminal just over from my work early afternoon.

I think a Golf3 16V subframe will fit (anyone tell me any different?) and there's one in a scrapyard in Rookley.  I've got tools in the boot of the 'sat ready for a finish early/long lunch scrapyard mission, so this should be sorted on Saturday, provided I don't find any other nasties of this ilk.

All the rest of the securing bolts on the subframe cracked off OK, the driveshaft bolts are cracked off ready, so I think I did as much as I could last night to get things ready to move on tonight/tomorrow AM.

Que cera cera.

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2009, 09:01 »
damn DH you certainly dont waste any time! and well know what your doing look forward to reading more progress :)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Dirty black Corrado
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2009, 20:46 »
Soooooooo, off to drop off the subframe from 9AM this morning.  Had that off and out by 10:30.

T'other half collected the bits from GSF, then back to Calbourne Off Road with the trophy.

Steam cleaner bought the replacement subframe up nice and clean.

Then finished getting the subframe off the Corrado, dropped the rack, prepped the replacement rack that came with the car..... then found that the supplied rack had fine splines, but the old rack and column are fine spline, so that's pretty much scrap.

Oh and the oil that came out of the system was golden, not green or red, so f*ck nose what that was  :huh:.

Bolted the two subframes together, back to back, drilled the repositioned trailing holes in the subframe and cut the unecessary ends off the trailing tabs, then everything pretty much bolted up. I needed to replace the bracket on the back of the block, as the Corrado takes a different rear mount to the Golf3, thankfully I'd got that one to replace. I did also have to drill out the fixing bracket on the mount, which secures the lambda, as it also grounds the lambda.  It made sense to replace the gearbox mount, so that got done, too.

I bopped off the outer CV on the offside, as the boot was perished to hell and back, and fitted up a new boot.

I didn't replace the front engine mount, as the mounting bolt rounded, on a good quality 6-sided 1/2" drive socket :shocked:.  So, next session will need me to unbolt the front mount bracket on the motor, hoping the bolts on the front cross member come undone, so the front mount does come off that, or I'll be working out from there.  :sad:

Thankfully I did finish the thing today, although I still need to do the front mount and sort the tracking properly.

It's taken the shine off the new car, but it drove home a LOT tighter than when it drove in. There's a long way to go before I've got it driving how I want it to, but at least I've now started down the road of making sure the mechanicals are sound.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2009, 20:54 »
gives you summat to do  :wink:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2009, 20:56 »

Then finished getting the subframe off the Corrado, dropped the rack, prepped the replacement rack that came with the car..... then found that the supplied rack had fine splines, but the old rack and column are fine spline, so that's pretty much scrap.

I don't follow. Both splines are the same but it's scrap? Or the new one was OK? If the replacement isn't right let me know as I bought it specifically to fit to a late Rado valver.

Nick