Author Topic: polo paint correction  (Read 30525 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
polo paint correction
« on: 11 July 2009, 18:43 »
chuff decided that it was about time I faced a 'challenge' and he found the following to see what I was capable of...

:shocked: :shocked:

my first reaction was to burst out laughing!!  :grin: :grin:

and of course I leapt at the opportunity  :smiley:  :evil:

so the car in a little more detail...

it was a late 90's polo which had been washed regularly... but the faded paint fairy had done its work and it was feeling sorry for itself, any paint adhered to metal (not the plastic bumpers or the petrol cap) had completely faded. there was significant damage to the front of the bonnet that was not going to be part of the paint correction, nor were the wheels (which have completely had it)

so some befores....

so i did a test panel to work out what pad and polish combo to use then chuff wanted to see 50/50's, who could resist, so I taped up and got to work

the resulting 50/50's

the pads were filling up with all sorts of gunk every couple of panels so had to be washed regularly

thats chuff's tea mug in that sink  :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

the cut was finished off with a polish using menz final finish and then colli 876 insulator and a layer of colli 915

anyone seen chuff?

bonnet reflection, it is actually red in person, just the light making it look a different colour

all in all quite satisfying and nice to breathe life back into an old dub  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 11 July 2009, 18:58 by Guy »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: polo paint correction
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2009, 18:53 »
Guy , will NEVER forget your face when he pulled up in it when you were doing the 'sat  :grin:

ME mate is made up and says it was worth every penny. HE is SERIOUSLY thinking of keeping the car now  :grin: Got to go Rim shopping Monday  :laugh:

Top Job mate, turned what was basically a scrapper to a Very saleable Polo. :afro:

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2009, 18:54 »
That is one top job! you really should do it for a living!  :cool:

Dan

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2009, 18:56 »
WOW great job  :cool: :cool: :cool:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2009, 19:01 »
Great job guy  :shocked:

What's your thought's on Colli Insulator Wax? I take it you meant 845 and not 876?

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2009, 19:01 »

Dan

:grin: He Is  :wink:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2009, 19:02 »
Guy , will NEVER forget your face when he pulled up in it when you were doing the 'sat  :grin:

ME mate is made up and says it was worth every penny. HE is SERIOUSLY thinking of keeping the car now  :grin: Got to go Rim shopping Monday  :laugh:

Top Job mate, turned what was basically a scrapper to a Very saleable Polo. :afro:

thank you  :smiley:

nice to know he might keep it... should save some pennies for him if he is keeping it, will be nice to see it on new rims and my offer stands that if he wants anything else done then just drop me a line

Dan

funny you should say that?!  :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2009, 19:05 »
Great job guy  :shocked:

What's your thought's on Colli Insulator Wax? I take it you meant 845 and not 876?

oops my bad... yes i did

really nice insulator, its basically the same as 915 but in a semi-liquid form, however I believe it gives far better coverage, especially in old and pitted paintwork, and a nice base from which to really bring out a shine using 915

as the top layer is only a sacrificial layer it is nice to have that 'extra' layer or two which will still be protecting the polished paint beneath

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2009, 19:05 »

Dan

:grin: He Is  :wink:

Yeah i wasnt sure if he was going ahead or not  :grin: glad he is tho got skills!  :cool:

Dan

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2009, 20:56 »
Top job that man. Never ceases to amaze me how well something like that will come up with a bit of effort.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax