Author Topic: Headlight Range - Adjustment  (Read 40268 times)

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
Headlight Range - Adjustment
« on: 08 December 2015, 16:05 »
A number of people have commented on the limited range (forward distance) of the xenon lights and a few people have even had the dealers looking/checking them, I also thought they were poor compared to my wife Mercedes (the headlights are far superior).

I'd read a number of conflicting reports as about adjusting them, so I thought I'd have a look at them, Interestingly there are a couple of points of adjustment on both units; up and down, left and right. (see photo 2)

I've also read that you can't adjust them, because the self levelling feature will cancel it out, or they need to be adjusted through VCDS. :huh:

So I scanned the car with VCDS (all good :smiley:) I then marked the height of the headlights on the garage wall, put a couple of turns (using a 6mm allen key) on the headlight and it raised it up. Took the car out for a quick drive at night and checked to see if the headlight was still raised (new mark on the garage wall) and yes it was :cool:

So I adjusted the other headlight unit and checked after a couple of days and bingo, the car was still at the new setting. I ran another VCDS scan and no faults were showing so after a little experimentation I settled on 4 turns of adjustment. I've been running it for a week, not been flashed by any other driver and the range has most defiantly improved.

So in conclusion, it doesn't appear to blind any other drivers, it hasn't thrown up any errors and It has made a very noticeable difference to the range/distance. What is there not to like :whistle:

« Last Edit: 08 December 2015, 22:07 by Eccie »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Headlight Range - Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2015, 17:45 »
Nice!

I'm off to find my allen keys!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JohnH

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2015, 18:11 »
thanks for this. i've asked my dealer to check for this in the past and they've said all is OK.  lights are no where near as good as the old ST

will be trying this at the weekend

Offline Stuartr1024768

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2015, 18:18 »
I can confirm what Eccie says (did this months ago and have tweaked it over time) and I'm sure there was another thread or two on this but without the images. Word of warning though chaps, don't get them mixed up as at first I did not notice the up down Alan bolt was down towards the bottom of the headlight unit and ended up adjusting mine only left and right at first (whoops!).  Now got them just right (5-6 turns on the passenger side for up/down and 3 turns to the left for left/right (so the beam throws better at road signs). 4 up on drivers side seemed to level it off about right and avoids dazzling oncoming traffic.

I guess it will differ slightly from car to car and if the dealer actually checked the alignment at pdi stage (which I doubt many bother to do !). Happy tinkering !
5 door GTD, Manual, Pure White, Flaps ! & DTUK Box

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2015, 20:50 »
Great post,I know what I'll be doing at the weekend.
Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2015, 10:44 »
Did mine last night - piece of cake.

All you need is a 6mm alan key.

That said, probably some way of marking a wall with the height of your headlights might help too. I did mine against a brick wall so counted bricks.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2015, 10:56 »
What do you consider to be a turn? A full 360 rotation of the allen key?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2015, 17:11 »
What do you consider to be a turn? A full 360 rotation of the allen key?

Yes

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2015, 17:51 »
I too complained about the range on mine when I first got the car,  dealer sorted it for me without hassle at a snagging service. They have been Bob on since.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline Diehammer

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2015, 12:58 »
I find the range on mine really good, my wife actually thought i had the full beam on. They do seem to blind other drivers though, I have had a few people pull over to let me past because of it.
Golf GTD MK7 5 door Manual, Carbon Grey, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera.

Ordered 26/02/15  Build Week Confirmed 24/04/15 (BW21) Stage 5a 19/05/15 Stage 5b 21/05/15 Stage 5c 29/05/15 Stage 6 02/06/15 Stage 7 04/06/15 Pick Up 06/06/15