Author Topic: Windscreen wiper defect  (Read 2795 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Windscreen wiper defect
« on: 20 May 2003, 21:00 »
Tried troubleshooting my windscreen wipers on my cabrio today. Discovered the relay had failed. Replaced the relay and after 1 minute of humming from the motor, this relay failed too, despite the correct 15A fuse being fitted. I have now replaced the relay again and fitted a 10A fuse. Before I connect it up again, I decided to connect the motor directly to the battery and carry out some current checks.

Its drawing 5 to 6 Amps.........is that about right?

I removed the wipers and it drew 3.5 Amps
I removed the linkage and now it draws 2.5 Amps

Any thoughts on why my relay is failing.........before I destroy another one???
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

Offline quickvr6

• Not said much yet
Re: Windscreen wiper defect
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2003, 03:12 »
sounds like you have done everything possible, relays shouldn't fail in that manner, i recon you should take the gamble and fit the new one, if it works take the last one back and ask for a refund. are you sure the motor is running free? i had an intermitent fault on my rear wiper motor, cost 68 quid plus vat for a new motor. the old one was siezed, i took great pleasure in destroying it when i saw the price of the new one!
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Windscreen wiper defect
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2003, 05:03 »
Hmmm, I'm still not sure. I dug out a couple of old spare motors that I had in my shed......and they were siezed, drew 11 amps and didn't turn and that was disconnected from everything, just the motor.  :o
I have a couple of better ones in the shed that are seriously buried.........might have to dig them out and see what the current draw from them is. I've been trying to find the enthusiasm to dig into the shed anyway as I need to get at my Audi engine (that is right at the back) and get the oil pressure sender unit off it for my newly fitted but not working (YET) VDO gauges in the Cabrio.
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »