Author Topic: Noob @ Detailing lol!!!  (Read 3866 times)

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.
Noob @ Detailing lol!!!
« on: 10 February 2011, 12:58 »
Hey people, sorry if this post tends too annoy anyone, but thought well, why not, everyone loves a good banter, and would be good too see different peoples opinions and personal preferances  :smiley:

I never put much TLC into cleaning my 2 previous cars, but on my Golf, I tend too change this!

For me I will have too be doing it by hand, as soon too be jobless, so buying a polisher is out of the question....

Was wondering, what products you guys would recommend, better too get some good advice when attemptiing things like this, when some people have such a passion for it!

I need too ideally get....

Shampoo
Mit/Cloth too wash with
Drying Towel
Clay
Polish
Something too Polish with
Wax
Something too wax with.

Once again, my appologies if this post does tend too aggrivate anyone  :embarassed:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Noob @ Detailing lol!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2011, 13:21 »
no problem with asking questions;) thats what this forums for:)

shampoo: any of the dodojuice range is good even the basics range shampoo is awesome, the new wolf shampoo is very good.

wash mitt: any microfibre noodle mitt is good enough or a lambswool mitt.

drying towel: take your pick theres quite a few to choose from and they all do the same thing so pick one your budget allows.

claybar and lube: any fine/ultra fine clay on the market is good enough, lube wise id strongly suggest born slippy lube by dodojuice,

polish as you have stated by hand id suggest an all in one like dodojuice need for speed or lime prime, chemical guys all in one is a good polish for hand application.
pads wise you want a fairly stiff polishing pad for hand application so look at the lake country range. same again for the wax applicators.

wax: for good durabilty collinite 476s,845, or megs #16 paste wax, or for uber gloss go for a dodojuice wax but keep in mind you will only get mega gloss by preparing the paint properly.
nattys paste wax is another good one.

drop chris aka waxamomo a pm and he will sort you with everything you need and he'll give you a discount for being a forum member and last but not least he will give you some sweets in your order,

hope this helps

Dan
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2011, 13:35 »
Yeah he gave me quite a list, some items are quite pricey, like the clays and wax. Don't like spending a vast amount on things when I don't feel all that confident about what I'm buying. But the detailing info is spot on with directions and stuff, so just wanting too get the right products  :smiley: rather then going too the crappy hand wash people lol!!!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2011, 14:13 »
claybars arent that expensive lol

a pot of wax would last you ages so its money well spent tbh.

whats your budget roughly and i'll help you draft a list if you like, up to you!!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2011, 15:07 »
the dodojuice basics shampoo is fine, i was part of the team that tested it before they finalised the product and it performed very well even at high dilution ratios so it comes highly recomended.

microfibre noodle mitts are fine and are slightly cheaper than lambswool mitts.

get the valetpro claybar,cheaper but does the same job, lube get a born slippy concentrate and dilute it into your own spray bottle, you get much more lube for your money. 250ml of concentrate will make 2.5ltrs of ready to use lube, you only need to use around 250ml/500ml of lube when claying so this will last you ages.

kent microfibres are sold at asda in packs of 6 and i think they're on offer atm along with there microfibre noodle mitts.

wax, go for either collinite 476s or megs#16

there you go ive saved you a few quid there :wink:

plus if you get all of your stuff from one place it will save you on postage and if you order from chris you will get a discount on your first order.

« Last Edit: 10 February 2011, 15:21 by Purple Haze »

Offline Dan J

• I live here

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2011, 15:39 »
forgot a polish matey  :drool: .... I'll go for the dodo shampoo then I think, that seems too get really good reviews  :smiley:

I'll message Chris later with all those bits, cheers mate  :smiley:

Still worth buying that towel I posted up? looking forward too getting started tbh lol  :smiley:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2011, 15:45 »
yes get the towel sorry dude i left that out,

polish wise id suggest either need for speed or lime prime, because your applying by hand its proberly better you getting an all in one rather than a specific cut grade polish because you wont see the benefit from it so all in ones are alot better for hand applications if you just want to lift the paint prior to waxing.

you'll be hooked soon mate trust me, it happens to everyone:)

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2011, 15:50 »
yes get the towel sorry dude i left that out,

polish wise id suggest either need for speed or lime prime, because your applying by hand its proberly better you getting an all in one rather than a specific cut grade polish because you wont see the benefit from it so all in ones are alot better for hand applications if you just want to lift the paint prior to waxing.

you'll be hooked soon mate trust me, it happens to everyone:)

The car is filthy atm lol!!! I'll prob do it in a week or 2, when i am made redundant, as I will have nothing too do all day, so can cheer myself up with giving her some good old TLC!! Just wish the little bumper strip things were colour coded, mine are black  :sad: