Author Topic: Stuck multi function steering wheel button  (Read 1759 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Stuck multi function steering wheel button
« on: 11 July 2019, 18:37 »
Has anyone fixed a stuck multi function steering wheel button? The right hand side UP rocker is stuck.

Thank you
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Stuck multi function steering wheel button
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2019, 16:25 »
Not had this problem but would need to remove the airbag to get at the reverse of the button pad. Not sure if it can be dismantled. Could first try to spray electrical contact cleaner into the switch to see if that frees it? There are Mk6 control pads on ebay but not seen any with the chrome trim for a GTI.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2019, 07:25 »
Not had this problem but would need to remove the airbag to get at the reverse of the button pad. Not sure if it can be dismantled. Could first try to spray electrical contact cleaner into the switch to see if that frees it? There are Mk6 control pads on ebay but not seen any with the chrome trim for a GTI.

Yes, I looked at youtube videos, the airbag removal looks difficult and the GTI part rare, its $150 in the USA.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2019, 11:38 »
Removing the airbag is not that bad. The 'difficult' bit is getting a screwdriver to the clips behind the steering wheel. Some videos explain that clearly, others don't. Have had to do it twice to fix my cruise control switch which also involves removing the steering wheel and other parts as well.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.