Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 53870 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #120 on: 22 April 2016, 21:09 »
ARL on the cam cover  :wink:

9th picture down

Yeh I just wasn't sure if this was easily swappable (if its same size fitting could the original cover be fitted to an AJM engine to mask its change?)

I'm 99.9% certain that that engine is the 150 ARL  :wink:

Ok thanks :-) can you have a quick look at my VCDS screens and tell me which measuring block I need to use to see the boost?

Off the top of my head its group 12 or 13

Just cycle through the groups until you find it but I'm fairly certain its one of the above

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
« Reply #121 on: 22 April 2016, 21:12 »
ARL on the cam cover  :wink:

9th picture down

Yeh I just wasn't sure if this was easily swappable (if its same size fitting could the original cover be fitted to an AJM engine to mask its change?)

I'm 99.9% certain that that engine is the 150 ARL  :wink:

Ok thanks :-) can you have a quick look at my VCDS screens and tell me which measuring block I need to use to see the boost?

Off the top of my head its group 12 or 13

Just cycle through the groups until you find it but I'm fairly certain its one of the above

Doesn't look like 12 or 13 :(

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #122 on: 22 April 2016, 21:14 »
Nope cos its group 11  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #123 on: 22 April 2016, 21:21 »
Nope cos its group 11  :laugh: :laugh:

Ah ok, but thats on idle, so there wouldn't be any boost surely? I have no idea how to read the figures.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #124 on: 22 April 2016, 21:27 »
Look at the 2nd and 3rd boxes

2nd box is what the ecu requests and the actual is what the car makes

As you accelerate you will find actual lags behind specified for a few hundred rrpm before converging and then they should be within a couple of mbars

If actual never meets specified then you have a boost leak or boost problem

:smiley:

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #125 on: 22 April 2016, 21:35 »

As you accelerate you will find actual lags behind specified for a few hundred rrpm before converging and then they should be within a couple of mbars

Ah ok, so if I do some logs whilst driving and see how they compare? likewise with torque, do some runs and log them and see if the torque is good? is there any way (I know it wont be as accurate as rolling road) to calculate BHP to wheels (then convert to @fly) using the torque figures?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #126 on: 22 April 2016, 21:40 »

Ah ok, so if I do some logs whilst driving and see how they compare? likewise with torque, do some runs and log them and see if the torque is good? is there any way (I know it wont be as accurate as rolling road) to calculate BHP to wheels (then convert to @fly) using the torque figures?

Yup. I always do a minimum of 3 runs and i would do it in 4th gear and nail the throttle from approx 1400rpm. You want to get the turbo working as hard as possible. Keep your foot pinned until the redline

Log your MAF figures too; think thats group 2 or 3

Make sure you are on your private test track obviously  :whistle:

Not sure if that's possible and if it is how accurate it would be. I've never tried it  :undecided:

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #127 on: 22 April 2016, 21:48 »

Yup. I always do a minimum of 3 runs and i would do it in 4th gear and nail the throttle from approx 1400rpm. You want to get the turbo working as hard as possible. Keep your foot pinned until the redline

Not sure if that's possible and if it is how accurate it would be. I've never tried it  :undecided:

ok will find a private road to give it a run, from the short bursts I have done (1st and 2nd mainly) it kind of has nothing, then pulls, then hits redline nearly instantly I think, boost seems a tad delayed, then loads, then tails off

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #128 on: 22 April 2016, 21:53 »

ok will find a private road to give it a run, from the short bursts I have done (1st and 2nd mainly) it kind of has nothing, then pulls, then hits redline nearly instantly I think, boost seems a tad delayed, then loads, then tails off

That sounds about right. Peak torque should arrive at approx 1900-2000rpm then pull hard to about 3500rpm before tailing off.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #129 on: 22 April 2016, 21:55 »

That sounds about right. Peak torque should arrive at approx 1900-2000rpm then pull hard to about 3500rpm before tailing off.

Ah thats ok then was worried turbo wasn't lasting long enough lol

do you know what this is?