Author Topic: "Top 10: mid-life crisis cars" on MSN - guess what's made the list...  (Read 5912 times)

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
lol.....

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=151788261&page=17

Made me chuckle as I didin't think it deserved to be in this group, My idea of a midlife crisis car is something a little mad such as a 599, F430, or a Gallardo (which I can see will be my mid life car lol), also not forgetting the 911 turbo, but not a GTI. It's too.. sensible.
Thought the inclusion of the boxter was funny. I always recall what Clarkson said (and I agree with it), if you get a boxter your kind of telling the world your life didn't turn out as good as you where expecting, guess he ment no 911 and boxter in stead lol. I think they ok for the missus or the girlfriend, or a young bloke in his 20's, but not someone in their 40's!

Thought the quote " the GTI is admittedly rather, well, tweed jacket" was crap.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Sorry, I had my mid-life crisis about 15 years ago.   :rolleyes:

Rolfe.

Offline oldboyracer

• Not said much yet
Mid-life crisis is a term used by those who are jealous of those who can afford to do what ever they like whatever their age  :wink:

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
Mid-life crisis is a term used by those who are jealous of those who can afford to do what ever they like whatever their age  :wink:

+1  :laugh:
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
There might be some truth in this? But i dont wear tweed at 47 , have been obsessed buying GTI's for the last 5yrs hahaha  :laugh:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
If you watch the old clarkson programs i think they got that from there as he set up a seen were it talked about and showed two blokes in the pub. One with a tweed jacket with a GTI and a guy from essex with an XR3i in iirc a shell suit.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline herbie911

• Here all the time
lol.....

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=151788261&page=17

Made me chuckle as I didin't think it deserved to be in this group, My idea of a midlife crisis car is something a little mad such as a 599, F430, or a Gallardo (which I can see will be my mid life car lol), also not forgetting the 911 turbo, but not a GTI. It's too.. sensible.
Thought the inclusion of the boxter was funny. I always recall what Clarkson said (and I agree with it), if you get a boxter your kind of telling the world your life didn't turn out as good as you where expecting, guess he ment no 911 and boxter in stead lol. I think they ok for the missus or the girlfriend, or a young bloke in his 20's, but not someone in their 40's!

I don't know why people keep following the opinion of a semi-bald middle age fat bloke? His last car is an AMG SLK! RESPECT!
Saying this, I do agreed that a black Gallardo spyder is kind of cool!
The only motoring journalist opinion that I respect is Chris Harris. Same age as me Early thirties---our car taste is very similar except he prefer the Focus RS while I pick the Golf GTI!

I think Steve Sutcliffe, Jason Plato and John Barker are quite good with their articles as well!

Don't forget a decent spec for the base Boxster will cost you near £40000. I think they are doing quite well in their life if they can afford to buy one for their wife and spend another £75000 on a carrera s for themselves!
« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 21:14 by herbie911 »

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
boxsters are good in their own right.  If you want a porsche convertible whats the price difference between a boxster and a 911?  £30k-£40k? 

The same can be said of any car brand, Land Rover Freelander drivers would be jealous of discoverys that would be jealous of RR's.  If that's all you can afford then so what?