Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362603 times)

Offline davidp81

• Just got here
Hi all,

New member here, had my 59 plate GTi (28000 miles)for 4 weeks when the timing belt went last Tues  :sad: Car wouldn't start at all so VW assist recovered it to my local dealer in Basingstoke who quoted me £500 in labour just to investigate the fault with the car and no guarantees it would be covered by warranty. This set off alarm bells as I'd only had the car 4 weeks.

I contacted the dealer I bought the car from (Lookers, Battersea) and they recovered the car back to themselves. They confirmed on Friday that it is the timing chain issue and they are offering to do all the work for free and add an extra years warranty on the car, I have also been offered an exchange of the car as it went wrong in the first 30 days of owning it. (Really impressed with Lookers customer service as a new VW owner.)

I'm thinking of just getting the car fixed as everything else was great with it but thought I'd ask if there is anything I need to be wary of and any reason I should maybe consider exchanging the car instead, thanks for any tips.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Personally Id definitely get the car back. After this you will have a brand spanking new engine which is an excellent place to be in the first 4 x weeks of ownership with no cost to yourself apart from the nuisance whilst it's repaired of course.

Id make sure you find out exactly what is being replaced and query why only 1 year warranty on the engine.

This has happened to me also but my new engine came with 2!

Thanks for updating the thread also I thought these stories had slowed down but this is the second in only a week or so...
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline davidp81

• Just got here
Thanks for the response, I will definitely find out the specifics on what is being replaced and ask the question regarding the warranty. Have only spoken to the sales guys so far rather than anybody in service which is why there isn't much detail on the work being carried out.

I definitely think keeping the car is the more sensible option as if I exchange for another car from their stock I'm going to be worrying about the same issue on that one, at least this way I'm getting this sorted and out of the way.

Offline Rgdogg

• GTI forum regular
Also if your thinking of going stage 1 or stage 2 there is a small chance the inlet manifold may need replacing, mine did and I know a few people on here have had it go as well, but that should be covered under warranty for the next 2 years.
I think you should keep the car, your lucky in a way that you have a good understanding dealership, the rest have been treated like sh*t by VW, good luck in what you choose and welcome to the forum.
Gti, Candy White, 3door, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Bluefin, Milltek, vwr intake, Focal speakers.

Offline charlie

• I live here
Get the car back and enjoy
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Upto you if you keep it. Just keep in mind the entire front end of the car will have been apart.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Hobojim

• GTI forum regular
If the work is done properly, as it should be, I would keep the car. A brand new engine is a nice thing to have.

@ everyone who has had a new engine. What service schedule are you going to apply to the vehicle now?

I'm just going to keep up my regular 1 yr service. My engine will have done around 5k by the time it is serviced so perfect for changing the oil after running in. Obv, not going to do spark plugs etc which would have been due (4yr 40k service) as they are now brand new.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
If the work is done properly, as it should be, I would keep the car. A brand new engine is a nice thing to have.

@ everyone who has had a new engine. What service schedule are you going to apply to the vehicle now?

I'm just going to keep up my regular 1 yr service. My engine will have done around 5k by the time it is serviced so perfect for changing the oil after running in. Obv, not going to do spark plugs etc which would have been due (4yr 40k service) as they are now brand new.

Me too same schedule, it would only of pushed it back two month anyway. Mine had just had a service a few weeks before it went twang!!

Should of really negotiated a free on in hindsight but had a lot on I suppose...
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Upperoilcan

• GTI forum regular
Having read this thread with some interest I have to say its putting me off buying a MK 6 which is one of the cars on my shortlist.

Mk7 GTI in black,DSG,fully loaded.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Mines gettin sold when the warrenty is out!

I don't trust it anymore, even if the issue is fixed WHAT IF it was to happen again as a failed part then VW arnt sending a free engine again.

It even puts me off the MK7 I was wanting to keep this for years but seems a golf running an EA888 I'd be paronoid or get rid every three years.

I do love the R though, let's see how the 10plates hold up 2014 is there year.....