Author Topic: General cutting out not starting gremlins. Please can any forum guru help me out  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Hi there.  Can anyone help me with this ongoing problem that is getting steadily worse.

I have a MK3 VR6 what was first registered in 1997 that I have owned for a few months.

Since I have owned it once in 25 times for no apparent reason it simply will not start.  This could be first thing on a morning when cold (However starts fine the other approx 24 time in minus 5 after a night outside)  similarly and most embarrassingly it could be after working fine all day and then refusing to start back up after a momentary engine off stop for petrol.

The solution to this annoying and embarrassing problem (haha look at the guy with the old golf pfft) is to leave it alone for 30 mins and then try it again and it will burst back into life like this has never ever happened.

The problem has now progressed.  To the point where when I am driving it cuts out.  Its now done this 3 times but twice restarted right away.

Tonight was the last straw.  An obnoxious sod was in his BMW in the right hand  / overtaking lane of my local dual carriageway.  He thought he would impress his GF and instead of just pulling over (I wasent driving aggressively) he would just burn me off.  Unfortunately for him I now have a VR6 and kept pace with him and eventually he gave up and I shot past him.  Ahhhhhh felt great!

He went straight on and I entered the off ramp to turn off.  It goes down to a traffic lit round about at it was rush hour.   After all that amazing performance just moments ago with the BMW (Hence me mentioning it) it just cut dead.  Queues of traffic up my backside.  Of course would it hell start.  But once again after leaving it alone for 30 mins (Like a tosser with everyone having to drive around my now golf fish bowl I seemed to be in) it bursts back into life like it was nothing wrong.  This prove the battery is strong as I must have panic turned it over many times.

A few other symptoms to mention that mayor may not be related.  ABS light rarely, once a fortnight comes on for 5 mins.  Then  goes out.  This one is terrible!!  My VR6 is automatic and it will actually start in D or any gear.  Very very dangerous!!  I know other automatics wouldn't start or even turn over in any gear other than D or N.  So automatics and the car starting must all be interlinked.

Can anyone please shed any light onto what is going on here.  I have wanted a VR6 for decades.  I really really want to love this car more than any woman  but need to have faith in it.  This is my only ride.  Right now after tonight's fiasco with this car being my only ride I will be getting the bus for a while. 
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Probably a crank sensor issue, can you get it scanned for codes?

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Hi mate. 

So, drove car today but only on 30 zones.  IE if it happens again I will be able to push it onto path and not cause an obstruction or have much likely hood of someone bashing into me like on a motorway yesterday.  Sure enough it happens again.  Sure enpough it started again 30 mins later. 

Phoned RAC to start them running as I'm far from a priority like a single girl with 3 kids the M1.  On that note the RAC may cost but they rock when you need them.  I really rate them and the service I received today. 

RAC lad got to me but it started.  He followed me the rest of the 3 miles home and when I got back plugged it in.  Came back with the following. 

Comments Suspected Diagnosis – Intermitent cut out and none start, not faulting just now, faults stored ref crank sensor and engine supplyrelay, customer fixing on own , follow home and advise to take to garage only if drivenA temporary repair / assessment has been made to consider onward travel.  If any warning systems,unusual noises or symptoms become evident please pull over as soon as it is safe to do so and call forfurther assistance

Diagnostic Codes
RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES
Name: AAA - MOTRONIC 2.9 - 2.8L - 128 (174)
DTC: 00668,+30 voltage
DTC: 00513,Revolution sensor

System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES
Name: AAA - MOTRONIC 2.9 - 2.8L - 128 (174)
DTC: 00668,+30 voltage
DTC: 00513,Revolution sensor

Ok, my friend along the street is a retired factory machine engineer thingy majig ha.  Not specifically a car mechanic but has a great understanding and has a wealth of experience and does some pretty advanced things on hos own car (from my point of view).  Backed with him  (Im crap but want to learn fast) can we fit these parts ourself?

Anyone link me to what I need.  Not being lazy at all, just know from my other thread on my springs fiasco that there are a million different parts and I can do without buying them all ha. 

I think my VR6 is an AAA?  Ill gladly check on that though or are all VR6's AAA?
My new GF gives me no problems!  Unlike ALL of the rest!!  She's only 21, black and extremely sexy. Sure she may have a slight drinking problem but nothing is perfect right?   Her name is Vicky (The VR6) Highline and I am madly in love.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
It'll be AAA yeah

Google it, but I think you get a crank sensor code if you run the scan when the engine isn't running regardless, but get it changed anyway as it's likely the problem

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
Ha,  never thought to google.  Hey I still have a nokia phone with snake on it. Im on no social media happily.

Right googled.  Got this

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00513

And

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00668

I note they both say could be the wiring too and from.  Hope its not that.  Sounds well pricey.   Ah this is what I get for buying an old car. For the money I spending each month I should have just got an M5 :-/

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Ah yes, so you would get 'no signal' as description if it was just if the engine was not running, so replace the crank sensor.

Best place to start for the 'wiring issue' is the ECU relay (number 30 I believe), quick and easy to change :) I'd actually do this before fitting the crank sensor just in case it fixes it.

Offline Kola

• Not said much yet
@Siemon

Hi mate,  just replying out of thanks re you help here.

Got the new G28 sensor.  Used my car all afternoon and no cut out. yeeeeey

Offline Deano151

• Just got here
Hi all.
New to this forum. I have just inherited my late Grandmother`s 1998 Golf MK3.5, 1.6, petrol auto. For centimental reasons I am desperatly trying to keep it on the road, despite the car currently not agreeing with that!
I appriciate this is an old thread, but I stumbled accross it while searching, and some of it seem relevant to my problem.

So this is the first problem I have come accross. It has been driving fine for the 2 weeks I have had it. Yesterday evening it started, immediatly died a few seconds later and refused to start after. It turns over fine, it just makes no attempt to fire up from the cranking. Battery seems fine. There was no spark when I tested it with the plug against the casing, so I have replaced the transformer ignition coil with no joy.
It does seem an odd coincidence that yesterday morning I replaced the car stereo that I was locked out of, it did drive fine for a few starts after doing that, but that is the only thing I have done to it and it is odd it just died after. I am wondering if something triggered the immobiliser with me messing with the cables, or if that is completly unrelated.

Please bare with me, I have basic mechanical knowledge of car and electrics, but please dumb down any replies as best you can.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appriciated, thanks in advance
Dean