Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171895 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #940 on: 01 August 2020, 13:59 »
It looks like an old Astra from that angle  :shocked:
funny you should say that. I saw a mk8 in white this morning as I was coming back from Lockerbie on the A69. Looked totally unremarkable and extremely similar to the white astra that followed it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #941 on: 01 August 2020, 14:46 »
White paint and little wheels on a mid-spec trim seldom looks aspirational on any car. They tend to look like appliances.
7.5 GTD

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #942 on: 02 August 2020, 09:55 »
White paint and little wheels on a mid-spec trim seldom looks aspirational on any car. They tend to look like appliances.

That's actually a good way to describe it  :smiley:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #943 on: 04 August 2020, 10:18 »
Watched the Autogefühl review of the mk8 1.5 eTSI MEVH Golf yesterday.

Positives;
  • Good build quality, although some areas of cost saving evident compared to the mk7 / mk7.5
  • Comfortable seats
  • Still feels like a Golf to drive - good ride and handling
Negatives;
  • Predictably, the lack of buttons / knobs for certain basic functions was criticised
  • Slow to respond infotainment touchscreen - not as good as BMW or Mercedes systems in the reviewer’s opinion
  • Over-complicated functionality for climate control. Reviewer was critical of the slider controls for volume and temperature below the infotainment screen
  • Voice control - it took the reviewer four attempts to adjust the cabin temperature using voice control
  • Infotainment software in launch models not great, but will probably be updated over time
Other points from the video that are worthy of note;
  • The key fob is now shiny piano black plastic - reviewer made the comment that they were not sure how it would look over time, which I interpreted as it’ll be very prone to scratching, especially in a bag or pocket with other items.
  • The smaller screen of the standard infotainment unit apparently has two conventional knobs - one for volume and another for zoom in/out on the screen (commented on around 10min 45 sec into the video).
  • The comment was made in the video that VW have massively reduced the use of animal skins (presumably leather) for their seats. Does this mean there won’t be a leather seat option - maybe only an alcantara option for anyone wanting a seat upgrade option.
  • The reviewer states that until the infotainment software issues are resolved / improved, it would be better to buy a new mk7.5 (if still available) rather than a mk8 (at around 24min 20sec into the video)
In the reviewer’s conclusion at round 34 min into the video, the comment is made that there are ongoing discussions within VW about the temp slider controls, and that there has been some negative customer feedback. It’ll be interesting to see if the slider is replaced with conventional controls as part of next years’s model year changes for the mk8. 

Overall though, the reviewer did say it’s still a great car. Link to the review below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u2GslmhDck
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #944 on: 04 August 2020, 10:53 »
I see the seat has an extending squab. Wonder if that will continue in the performance Golf or indeed in the UK variant.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #945 on: 04 August 2020, 11:10 »
I see the seat has an extending squab. Wonder if that will continue in the performance Golf or indeed in the UK variant.

It’d be good if UK does get the extending seat squabs. I had them in a Vauxhall 20 years ago and thought they were really good. The gap between the squab and the seat cushion was a bit of a dirt magnet though.

Back to the seats in the YouTube video - although the colour of the upholstery (Storm Grey) does brighten up the interior, it’s not a colour I’d ever pick; it’s hardly practical in a daily driver, especially for anyone with young children. i can imagine the seats will get dirty almost by just looking at them.

Dark coloured interiors for me :smiley:.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #946 on: 04 August 2020, 11:32 »
First time you are caught in the rain and try to get in the car with your wet jeans  :shocked:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #947 on: 04 August 2020, 16:56 »
In the MK7 and 7,5 the GT type models always had the option of the Ergo Active seats which not only had extended seat squab, but also massage function. For some strange reason VW decided that the top tier models didn't need the extended squab version.

My guess is that on the MK8, VW will follow suit and offer an Ergo Active seat to some of the lesser models and nothing for the performance models (at least not in the images I've seen of the GTI and R interiors) ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #948 on: 05 August 2020, 14:19 »
The BBC news item below shows what can happen if we have to search through touch screen menus to find and use basic functions in our cars;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53666222

Could it happen to a mk8 Golf driver using the touchscreen to adjust the car’s heating and ventilation? Probably yes :whistle:.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #949 on: 05 August 2020, 16:04 »
Oh dear! But using a screen is dangerous, even simple use is distracting. I suppose the positive from this is the legal precedence, manufacturers surely have to take action?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.