Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171405 times)

Offline spikeyboy22

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #960 on: 06 August 2020, 10:49 »
Sorry to bring this up again. I am still seeing the “clown face” when looking at the steering wheel picture.  :shocked:

Sorry I can’t see it ....

Offline spikeyboy22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #961 on: 06 August 2020, 10:52 »
I have just put up a review from the day, it is in German, so just use google translate.

It is under the review thread...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #962 on: 06 August 2020, 12:16 »
Here are some photos from a Golf Gti drive day held at Wolfsburg Yesterday..

https://imgur.com/a/UQZweUY

I contacted the poster and the article will be up on the Forbes website tomorrow.

Sorry I have been trying for hours to embed the pics in the post with no luck

I’d say it looks OK-ish in Pure White, but I prefer the white mk1 and red mk2 in your pictures. :grin:. Maybe that’s me being nostalgic and I would probably change my mind if I drove them though.

I notice both the mk8 GTI’s have got those little black plastic extenders on the wheel arch - you can see the one on the front wheel arch at the 12 - 1 o’clock position. Presumably they’re fitted because both cars have the larger (and wider?) optional 19” alloys.

I have to say this is the second white GTI and I really like it, I also did notice the the plastic extenders and they seem to be on the cars with the 19 inch wheels, I have seen them on R’s in the past. What are they for?

I think those little plastic extenders are intended to cover any exposed tyre tread when viewed from directly above the wheel. In the UK safety reasons, no part of the tyre should extend beyond the bodywork, to minimise the risk of injury to pedestrians. I’d question how effective these small plastic extensions would be at minimising pedestrian injury though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #963 on: 06 August 2020, 12:54 »
Thanks for sharing SpikeyBoy.

The white one is growing on me but those alloys are terrble.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #964 on: 06 August 2020, 13:36 »
Thanks for sharing SpikeyBoy.

The white one is growing on me but those alloys are terrble.

I’m not really fan of any diamond cut alloys, and VW seem to have an obsession with diamond cut wheels for many of their performance models.

IMO those wheels IMO are better than the (standard?) 18” five arm swastika design though - seen in this YouTube video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzw0iVmISg
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #965 on: 06 August 2020, 15:14 »

Straight on they are okay but from an angle they just look a mismash of diamond cut for me.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #966 on: 06 August 2020, 15:42 »
1. I quite like the 19” wheel design

2. The clown is haunting me

3. Just like the handbrake has withered away to a toggle switch (yes, an actual switch in a mk8!!) and the phallic gearstick was shrunken away into an err, well you get the picture... maybe those arch spats are shrunken versions of the black plastic arch extensions fitted to the mk1 and mk2?  :laugh:
(The mk6 R had them fitted when 19” wheels were specced.)

4. I quite like the honeycomb dash trim

5. Is that Watts in p3asa’s bottom photo?  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #967 on: 06 August 2020, 16:18 »
5. Is that Watts in p3asa’s bottom photo?  :whistle:

Oi! Bloody cheek! I may have a bit of the Norwegian blonde going on but that bloke must have 15+ years on me! Mind you I rather like his trainers... :whistle:

As for the car/wheels, the colour is good, the wheels are too fussy and the front end still looks like an elephant sat on it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #968 on: 06 August 2020, 18:24 »
Sorry to bring this up again. I am still seeing the “clown face” when looking at the steering wheel picture.  :shocked:

When you see it - you  will forever see it.  :grin: 

Someone on this forum posted good images to illustrate this a while ago but I can’t find them - best I could do.

« Last Edit: 06 August 2020, 18:47 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #969 on: 06 August 2020, 19:09 »

When you see it - you  will forever see it.  :grin: 

Someone on this forum posted good images to illustrate this a while ago but I can’t find them - best I could do.

Right that’s it, I’m buying a bmw.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.