Author Topic: Astrophotography  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
Astrophotography
« on: 24 March 2013, 11:29 »
Hi all, anyone here into astrophotography at all?  Taking pictures of the stars and planets and galaxies and other celestial objects, in case you're wondering.

I've never been any good at regular photography, (much as I'd like to be), but astrophotography is a little easier I've found.  You don't necessarily need a good eye for taking a good photo...the objects are up there, all the time...you just need clear skies really.
2009 Golf GTD in Pearlescent Black.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: Astrophotography
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2013, 11:51 »
Light pollution may well be the biggest problem would love to have a go at some point.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2013, 12:08 »
I'd assume you need a decent telescope too with a camera mount for attaching an SLR?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2013, 16:50 »
is simple in the respect that they are always there but it can get complex, firstly for decent shots you will need; motorized equatorial mount, image stacking software ie deep sky stacker, clear skies with little light pollution, telescope with appropriate mount and an intervalometer if not in built in your cam.

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2013, 20:39 »
This is something I love to look at, especially those shots that have the Milky Way behind a building or something!
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2013, 22:34 »
Light pollution can be a major p.i.t.a. in most places, but a lot of it can be factored out with special lenses and post-processing of the images.  I get a fair bit of pollution where I live, so used to travel to the New Forest for stargazing evenings.

You don't necessarily need expensive kit either.  Sure, if you want to take photos of galaxies or nebulae, which require many many minutes or even hours of exposure time, then a tracking mount is required to enable the camera to track the subject as it drifts across the sky.  But I've had a few acceptable results without.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2013, 17:54 »
Oh well the brown outs are coming, some days I would like a power cut in the garden for a couple of hours.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2013, 18:33 »
The stars was amazing in Australia! Up in the hills  :cool:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline Adrena1in

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2013, 22:27 »
One day I'll go where there's no light pollution at all.  One day.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2013, 08:29 »
It's not far from you - South West coast of the IOW should give you the lowest light pollution pretty much anywhere in the UK.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.